“Perfect hotel, great location, lovely stay!”

Hotel Lumen Paris Louvre
Ranked #337 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Myself and my girlfriend stayed at Hotel Lumen in Feb '14 for three nights. I booked the hotel as a surprise trip for her 29th birthday.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone. Although the price was rather a lot i found that once we arrived it was worth the money. We arrived just before lunch to be greeted by very pleasant reception staff who spoke excellent English, even though i can speak French they insisted talking with me in English. Our room was not ready, but we were fully aware that check in was 3 pm so we left out bags behind reception and had a drink in the hotel bar which was conveniently placed next to reception. The bar was very tastefully decorated and the staff were, again, very accommodating. I ordered a glass of beer (less than a pint) and my girlfriend ordered a glass of small red wine, the total came to just under 15 euros. I knew that paris was an expensive city as i have visited before so i was prepared to pay the prices. Once we had finished our drinks were took a walk round the local area, which was beautiful. The hotel is very well located if you are an art lover, but also if you prefer to see the other attraction Paris has to offer. The weather was stunning so walking around the "city of love" could not haver more perfect.

Upon returning to the hotel (just before 3pm check in time) we were told that out room was ready, and on one bad note (not even that bad) we had to carry out own bags to the room as there was no porter available, however i do not see this as a negative point as the lift goes to all floors and the rooms are just yards from the lift.

Our rom was VERY clean and tidy, although not very spacious but there was plenty of room for the two of us. Our bathroom was stylish and clean, and the decor of the room was very boutique fitting. We had free wi-fi, however every time i came off the internet page or left the room/hotel, you had to sign back in which got very repetitive. I had booked a classic room, and the view was mainly of the street below and surrounding building but that is to be expected when staying in the centre of a city. There was not a great deal of noise at night as there were limited restaurants and bars close by. To the right of our fully opening french doors we could see the walk way toward the Louvre Museum and a small view of the river seine and one of its bridges.

Our room was cleaned every day and to an excellent standard, we had a 32 inch television which had some english channels, but in my opinion if you are watching TV while your staying in paris you should have stayed at home! We had been left a complimentary half bottle of good red wine in the room which we decided to take with us to the park across from the notre dame to enjoy while sitting in the sun. The bed was VERY spacious and VERY comfortable, the sheets were clean and the bed was made up by the maids very well. We had Hermes shower gels and shampoos in the shower and a small bottle of Hermes fragrance. The shower was powerful which therefore caused water to end up all over the floor which took most of the towels in the bathroom to mop up.

All in all the hotel is well worth a look if you are visiting Paris. There are no cons about it!
Excellent staff, very clean, very stylish, perfect location and great food. Don't listen to any bad reviews about this hotel, we absolutely loved our trip!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank david m
Lumen01, Directrice Générale at Hotel Lumen Paris Louvre, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear david m,

I would like to thank you very much for this beautiful review regarding your recent stay at Lumen and I am delighted that we were able to create some wonderful memories for you and your girlfriend.
It is a real pleasure for us to know that you appreciated our staff , our location, the restaurant , your room and your accommodations . Kindly know that your appreciation means a lot to us and that I have been delighted to share it with all the members of the team who have contributed to the success of your stay with us.
We look forward to your return, hopefully it will be soon.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I paid for a superior room in advance the beginning of February. The room was to be on the upper floor away from the street noise, with a better view and more sq. footage. arrived a few days ago and the woman who checked us in forgot to offer bell captain service. Then she assigned a room on the first floor. When I questioned this based upon my original booking she responded "everyone is already booked." I reminded her that I booked the room almost 5 months prior and wondered what happened to my booking. She did not respond. The first floor room had a street singer performing until midnight. She might as well have been in the room. When I checked out of the room the next day, I was given a bon voyage package with water and a booklet informing me of what I should have received when I checked in,,,, water and half bottle of wine. None of that was provided. Very poorly managed hotel. Would not recommend.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank EllenNYC2014

Dear EllenNYC2014

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking time to share your experience with us.
We regret to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel Lumen Paris Louvre. We checked and we would like to confirm you that the room we gave us was a real superior room: we did not apply any downgrade. The superior rooms vary from 18 to 22 square meters and are located from the first floor to the last floor.
Concerning the noise, unfortunately you stayed with us on June 21 which corresponds to the French Music Day with many celebrations in Paris. As we are located in the very heart of the city, many musicians like coming to the place near the church to make their performances. We are very sorry for this inconvenience.
As you can see in our brochure, we provide all our customers half a bottle of wine upon arrival in the room as a welcome amenity and half a bottle of water upon departure. This is strange you did not find it on the table, we are very sorry if we made this mistake.
Be sure that we do our best to improve our services and that we take good note of your remarks.
Please accept our apologies and as we would like you to enjoy our hotel property, should you come back to Paris please contact us directly so we will make you a special offer.
Best regards,
Lucie Sayrin

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We loved our stay at Hotel Lumen. Everything was perfect, from the views from the balcony of our (Superior) room, to the great location (we were able to walk to several tourist destinations), and the wonderful food at the hotel restaurant, Oscar. But I would be remiss if I did not mention the exemplary service we received from the staff who repeatedly went above and beyond to insure our stay in Paris was perfect! The Concierge, Jean Claude and his associate Omy not only spoke perfect English, they made reservations, recommendations, and helped make two nervous travelers feel very taken care of! We will always be grateful for their kindness. We will definitely be going back!

Room Tip: The superior room was lovely, we had beautiful street views.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 127Sunbird
Lumen01, Directrice at Hotel Lumen Paris Louvre, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Guest ,
Such a fantastic review of our hotel here on TripAdvisor!
I am delighted to hear that everything went smoothly during your stay amongst us from the views from the balcony to the great location and thank you so much for your kind words about our Concierge Clés d'Or JEAN CLAUDE and our réceptionist OMY . They felt honored by tour comments.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the LUMEN

Reviewed 29 May 2014

My wife and I had just spent 5 days in Disneyland Paris with our daughter's young family. We needed a luxury break in the centre of Paris to help us unwind.

The hotel is just a stone's throw from The Louvre, The Tuileries Gardens and of course the shops. Breakfast is very good quality, this is France, so don't expect bacon and eggs but you can expect tasty continental choices. If you're desperate, try the scrambled eggs and warm ham. We rarely use our hotel for dinner, because we like to experiment and sightsee until late in the evening, so I can't comment on the menu. The staff are very helpful and can speak English better than most people that I know. The hotel room was fairly compact (Superior Room), but it was well appointed, very nice furnishings and the bathroom was excellent. No tea making facilities in room. A complimentary half-bottle of wine partly makes up for the lack of warm beverages. The hotel also provide a wonderful array of 'freebies' in the bathroom; a loofah, slippers, sewing kit, comb, shoe-shine, nail care, vanity kit, Eau de Cologne, shampoo, body wash.... and (at reception) matchbooks!

We had a lovely stay in a high class hotel and would recommend it highly

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest ,
Thank you very much for having taken the time to write such a wonderful review following to your visit at the Lumen
Thank you for mentioning the central location of the hotel and the staff , our breakfast , our rooms and all the amenities
Please be assured that it will be my pleasure to share your kind words with the entire team. I am sure they will be delighted to hear that their thoughtfulness and efficiency made your stay memorable.

We look very much forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future.

My best regards,

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Our 3-day end of April, 2014 stay was a delight. The staff was helpful, checking us in speedily and taking our luggage up. Our superior room was fresh and clean; the bathroom modern and ample. The French balconies overlooked the Rue de Pyramides, and street noise was barely audible. The breakfasts were fresh and bountiful, and the waiters gave us special attention. Tired from a full day at the Louvre, and chilled by the rain, we had dinner at the hotel restaurant, Oscar. It was excellent.

We often stay in this area, often taking the path by the church, passing by Oscar restaurant and the back of the hotel. We have had larger rooms in other area hotels, but our room was more comfortable and the space better utilized. This is now our Paris hotel of choice. The location is great, and it offers great value for the price. The umbrellas (an April necessity), free wifi, room safe, and bottle of wine were all appreciated.

1  Thank David K

Dear David K,
I am delighted to read your "5 star " feedback about your stay at Lumen .
I would like to sincerely thank you for your very kind words regarding our services
Your comments have been shared with our team which will motivate them to
continue their efforts in providing our valuable customers with quality
products and services.
We all look forward to welcoming you back to the Lumen

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Good grief, charming ambiance, lovely neighborhood, included full breakfast BUT the room was absurdly small. I've stayed in Paris on both banks for 2 decades and although clean and well tended, this may have been the smallest room ever. Thank goodness for a big window overlooking the street!i

Room Tip: I guess you just have to pay more. We used our miles for this hotel because we couldn't get an u...
1  Thank Suzyz40

Dear Suzyz40,

Thank you so much for your nice comments about the good grief, the ambience, the neighborhood and the breakfast
I regret to read that you did not fully enjoy mainly because of the size of your room. If the room you had booked was not enough large for you, please feel free to contact us, it will be a pleasure to propose you another category for your next stay in Paris.

Best regards,

Reviewed 12 May 2014

We booked this hotel during our stay in Paris at Easter '14 . After traveling through Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Antwerp and Brussels, we planned to end our vacation with three nights at Hotel Lumen Paris Louvre. I have travel quite a bit and have stayed in all kinds of hotels, and never been so disappointed!

Hotel Lumen Paris Louvre promise through their website to be a four-star boutique hotel with elegant design and carefully designed rooms. It is not even close to be what they promise. Sometimes you cannot go by the star rating of a hotel. Read as many review as possible about the hotel before booking. We wish we had. This is definitely NOT a four-star hotel, as you will expect it to be.

We arrived early with train from Brussels and went to Hotel Lumen to check in our luggage. It took 20 minutes before we got any help at all. The receptionist Jean-Claude, was stressed, in a bad mood and rude. We didn't get the help we expected when we asked him to help with dinner-reservations. We had to book all of our restaurant visits on our own, from our own mobile phone, outside of the hotel.

After a good lunch, we came back to the hotel and went to our room, a junior suite. The layout of the room was terrible. The junior suite consisted of a small bathroom, a narrow passage with a dirty sofa and a bedroom with worn furniture, crooked pictures on the walls and lamps were missing light bulbs.
The bathroom, which may not have been larger than 5 square meters was cold, towel rail was broken, there was nowhere two put our things and the bathtub was minimal. The shower, which was located in the small tub, was so small and narrow that you had to stand sideways to be able to fit there. (And we're not big at size) The showerhead was broken, it sprayed water everywhere and the paint was peeling from the ceiling. The bathtub was clogged and the ventilation didn't work. Further
the small bathroom was full of dew which did not disappear and the floor was freezing.

We notified the receptionist, about the issues with our room, hoping to get another one, which was better. They had no other rooms available that night. We asked to speak to the manager, Lucie Sayrin. She was on vacation and was not available to her staff. None of the employees had been given authority to make any decisions in her absence. We insisted that they had to contact her.
We waited until the next day and tried to eat breakfast, which consisted of sweaty topping, dry pieces of bread and horrible coffee. The orange juice was good. We went back to the reception to hear what solution they had come up with. The hotel asked me - as a customer to show the room and all the things that didn't work to an hotel employee. Their solution was to send a handyman and his toolbox. He tried to sparkle over the paint peeling and desperately injected silicone around the shower head. We were offered to switch rooms to a smaller one than we had originally booked - a superior-room for the following night and then switch to the largest suite for the last night. We asked to see the superior-room before we took any decision. It was even smaller, had two separate beds, was worn and generally as dirty and terrible as the junior-suite we had already spent a night in.

I could not imagine that the suite would be in any better condition. At least not after reading through all the reviews here on TripAdvisor.

After the first night and no acceptable solution from Hotel Lumen, we choose to pack your bags and leave the hotel. We rolled our suitcases 200m up the street where we found a large and wonderful five-star hotel. Here we got a lovely room, twice as large as the Hotel Lumen and with stunning views of the Opera. Breakfast was varied, fresh and consisted of good ingredients. The service on the new hotel was impeccable. This room was considerably cheaper than the rooms at Hotel Lumen. Lumen is absolutely overprized!

I've been to Paris many times. And I know that there are many other great hotels to choose than Hotel Lumen. You will find better hotels with great rooms and friendly staff for less than Lumen with charge you.

I will highly recommend you not to stay at Hotel Lumen.

After our holiday, we decided to contact the manger Lucie Sayrin. We expressed our frustration about how we had been greeted by her staff, lack of service, poor complaint handling and the lack of staff who could make decisions in her absence. We explained that we had taken pictures of how our room and questioned the stars they've been given.
Lucie Sayrin met us in any other way than with understanding. She took no criticism of herself or her employees or on their behalf. She didn't apologized on the rude receptionist, Jean-Claude behalf. Instead, she referred to a lot of positive feedback on TripAdvisor and cast doubt in our experience.
We demanded a refund on the prepaid hotel room since it in no way fulfilled our expectations and they failed to come up with an acceptable solution. We were offered a free dinner at their restaurant on our next visit to Paris. This restaurant is the same as they server sweaty toppings, horrible coffee and dry bread for breakfast.

We will never return to neither the hotel nor the restaurant and want to warn you to stay as far away from the hotel as possible. You will be disappointed. So, don't take the risk of ruin your vacation when there are so many other great hotel to stay at in Paris.

8  Thank kewe80