Hipotel Paris Belleville
Hotel Duo(Paris)
US$319
US$300
  • Bar/Lounge
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Went with my husband in 2008 and we thought it was great. Where else can you find a clean room for 30 euros in Paris with pleasant staff and decent, safe location? Right. You can't. Now it's 40 euros for ensuite bathroom and it's still a steal.

Yes - the walls are a bit thin. So there's no lift and you walk. So what? It has heat, the sheets are clean and the bed was fine.

Chinese prostitutes? Seriously? What, you were hoping for Kazhaks? Who cares? It's a great neighborhood with friendly people and great diversity.

Anyway, I'll be staying again in December and update my review then. I'm picky, but in Paris picky will cost you $300 bucks to start and I'd rather put that money somewhere else. All the naysayers sound like a bunch of whiny prima donnas who require 400 thread count sheets but can't afford the cost. Grow up. This is Paris. $100 dollars is budget. $60 is unbelievable.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank usedtoworkthereQUIT
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Please don't stay here - unless you wish to stay in a hotel which should, frankly be condemned. It has no lift (bad enough!) but also needs considerable renovation throughout. Although my room was reasonably large, and had a pleasant view (the only positives!), the rickety staircase and unreliable amenities need urgent attention. One toilet may have a light not working; the one on the floor below may not flush: take your chances! Added to the negatives is the abundance of Chinese prostitutes playing their trade on the boulevard nearby. The reception staff were surly and unhelpful. The final straw for me was that they wouldn't let me leave my luggage for a few hours on my day of departure. The first hotel that have ever refused me in many many years of travelling! It may be cheap but you are not, so please take my advice and find somewhere that is better value, decent and doesn't treat tourists as gullible fools.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Simon G
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Seriously, I rarely complain about anything, everyone tells me I'm extremely laid-back and easy going, and it would take a lot for me to give out about something, but this hotel is honestly a complete and utter dump.
I would strongly advise finding ANYWHERE else.
My reason for coming here:
Completely my own fault, I left it way too late to find anywhere else for one night at the end of a stay in Paris with a friend. My friend flew home the day before me so I needed somewhere basic and cheap to stay for one night.
Yes the price was reasonable, but no more so than a very nice place we stayed for the 4 previous nights: Relais Bergson, av. Simon Bolivar, and certainly not cheap enough for what I got.
Firstly, the area is not nice at all, it has a very dirty, loud and unsafe feel about it.
From the outside the hotel looks like one of the best buildings in the area, but don't be fooled.
The inside is basically a construction site, which isn't technically a bad thing as renovations are badly needed. However, personally I think knocking the entire building and starting from scratch would be a better option.
When I entered the building, I overlooked the fact that many of the tiles on the stairs were missing, like I said, I'm an easy going person.
My room was on the second floor, which stank of I don't even know what, just gross. The tiles in the hallway haven't been swept or mopped in about 2 years, really greasy and dirty looking.
The bedroom doors would not make you feel safe. There's bits gone out of nearly all of them and the handles aren't the most secure. Every time I left the room I brought literally everything except my changes of clothes with me, I was that untrusting of the place.
The walls in the room are absolutely filthy, disgusting, I even made a decision to sleep as far away from every wall as possible. The headboard had been pulled off and there's a line like when you get a tan on holidays, white underneath where it was, and a brown color everywhere else, showing just how dirty the walls are.
The bed wasn't very well made, so much so that I wasn't sure if the room had been cleaned after the previous guests. I can overlook that of course once it's relatively clean.
I'm not sure if I had been given clean sheets, etc. either yes and they just weren't washed very well, or no and the previous guests didn't dirty them, I'm still not sure.
As I walked down the streets of Belleville I noticed old furniture thrown at the side of the street, and I think that is where the owners of the hotel got the furniture, seriously.
Fully equipped with a one-door, one-knob wardrobe which I was too scared to even look into, a like study desk and chair (who the f*** needs that?). The table had lumps of wood taken out of it and the metal of the chair was rusty and mouldy.
There is no toilet in the room, I think you share with everyone on the corridor. There is however a sink with a dodgy tap and a shaving light that doesn't work and has no plug to plug in a shaver if you wanted to shave.
Oh, the rooms are apparently soundproof, yet I could hear EVERYTHING any other guest said or did.
Really I could go on for hours but I think this review is long enough.
I will give two positive points:
1. There is electricity in the room.
2. The wifi is actually pretty good. (Not free though, you pay 3 euro for 24h)
In conclusion, it stinks, it's really old, really dirty, really rough, really noisy, really unsafe and just downright disgusting.
Please please please do not go to this hotel or area, unless you don't require basic needs, literally.

Room Tip: Just don't go here, that's the best tip I can give.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Lisa L
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I agree with most of the negative comments although I have not seen any old Chinese prostitutes around. But let us look at the positives.
The position is excellent as it is a short walk to the Metro. There is a cafe next door with a reasonable breakfast of orange juice, yoghurt, croissant.and coffee for EU 6.
There are also several restaurants, a supermarket, a good fruit shop and patiserie nearby.
Our very basic small bedroom was reasonably clean and we always had hot water in the shower. As there is no elevator and the stairs are very steep it is advisable to get a ground floor room.
Monsieur Mok in charge of the reception was always helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: A ground floor room with bathroom is important as there is no elevator and share bathrooms on some of the floors are scarce.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank THOMAS G
Reviewed 29 October 2013

The location was fine: just three minutes to go from the metro station, about 20 minutes to the cemetery Pere-Lachaise and not so very far from the city centre (although it is better to go by metro if you do not have a lot of time). Unfortunately, there is no elevator, so getting to your room can be a difficult task if you have a lot of heavy luggage. The room and furniture looked quite old, but I think everything was ok for this price, especially taking into account that it is in Paris. I usually do not need much and I am satisfied with just a safe and clean room with a bathroom, so for me it was a perfect and budget option in one of the most expensive cities of the world.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple