“Chic & Romantic but Remote”

Hotel Particulier Montmartre
Ranked #1,299 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
New York City, New York
“Chic & Romantic but Remote”
Reviewed 5 May 2012

While doing a hotel search I came across this unique 5 room Villa hotel and I was very intrigued, however, I reluctantly booked it because it is in such an odd location.

The GOOD:
This beautifully renovated Montmartre Villa feels like a posh private residence - hence the name I guess. Even though it is a hotel, it feels more like you are visiting your rich Parisian aunt if you had one.

I chose the dark burgundy velvet tuffted room, and I loved it. It is very spacious with high ceilings, a king size bed (all to myself) and it is so so so quiet, it was like a remote & peaceful retreat, ideal if you like to sleep in. This room is on the dark side but somehow it felt very soothing. The generous bathroom is great and the steam room was a very nice surprise.

I travel to Paris a lot, and I can honestly say this is the only place where I got the most restful sleep ever. Part of that being that this area of Montmartre is not well traveled by cars and city buses, and part because the HP is situated behind two locked gates in the middle of a peaceful residential enclave.

Paris is a "walking city" and the large steam room was such a treat at the end of a busy long day!! A unique and sweet indulgence. The shower is huge and it can easily fit two people in it ; )

The staff (of 1) was very friendly & professional, even though she was outnumbered by the hotel guests.

One other thing I liked about this hotel is the fact that you can actually book the room you see on the website (if available) and you don't have a surprise when you get there.

I garden is very beautiful and well designed.

The BAD:
It was very dificult to find. I'm glad I was on foot, and not in a cab, as I circled and circled to find the entrance to the couryard.

Hint: bring pictures of the 2 metal gates with you (a reviewer posted them) The first gate is RECESSED from the other buildings outline, that's why is so easy to miss, or hard to find - whichever way you want to look at it. It looks like a driveway.

It would be very helpful if the hotel website had a diagram to help visitors find them easier as this seems to be a common complaint in most reviews.

Another minor minus is the lamps on the night stands. They are very small and flimsy & look too cheap for this room.

I would definitely go back to HP, but next time I would bring someone along. Being a female traveling alone, I did not feel safe walking to the hotel from the Metro station in the late evening hours. . The streets were too deserted for my taste. Day time is perfectly safe however, as there are many people walking around. The metro station was surprisingly seedy for such a nice neighborhood.

I would recommend this for a romantic getaway FOR SURE....If you think you might bump into the other 4 guests, you will not. The size of this mansion is very generous and each room has a lot of privacy. But I would not suggest this for a business traveler or women traveling alone.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
8 Thank ThatsMyLuggage

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 February 2012

You'd be somewhat reluctant to relegate it to the traditional yet trendy category, yet the hotel particulier has intentionally drawn extensively on this hybrid approach. We are both Architects and appricate beautiful unique hotels. The decoration in your hotel looks absolutely divine. We are very happy is the junior suite. Call Vegetale.
Next time were in Paris we can get to stay at your hotel. Many thanks for everythink.
Garden, service, breakfast, room, lovely restaurant and so good food. And we love this area.
Very nice time wis my girlfriend in Montmartre. We both loves restaurant Pomponette and Marcel. Is very near from the aeroport Charles de Gaulle. 20 minutes in taxi.
Gemma.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank All2Ice
london
Reviewed 18 February 2012

This was a birthday surprise. An ideal location, as I'd always wanted to stay in Montmartre. We had the ears and trees room, which was opulent, quirky and felt rather decadent. Hotel is in a nicely secluded location. Staff are very nice. They now have a dining room, although we just had breakfast. All in all this was just my kind of hotel: small, highly individual, private, friendly. The opposite of impersonal. Only quibble is that the speaker and microphone in the room, enabling you to leave a message for the next guest, and listen to one from the previous guest, didn't work. Oh, a great little wrting desk by the window too.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mark b
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Difficult to find, but well worth the effort. A bit dark in the entrance area, but the rooms were beautiful. The breakfast was excellent, but no dining room is a drawback.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Really rude personnel. They had us waiting for over 1 hour for dinner and nobody even cared to apologize. Incredibly rude and amateur kitchen teams.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank ctv1970

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 4 July 2011

We stayed in the hotel for two nights. The environment was breathtaking. The room was large and nice with good aminities. it's a top hotel particulier where you feel much more like a VIP rather than a guest.
i regret that location is not is exactly in the business centre of Paris but much more in the tourist side of this beautiful city, But overall, we had a nice stay.
We really love it.
If you like to feel special, VIP, and get a home away from home go for it !

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank centralhkg
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 May 2011

The building is located up a private gated lane off Avenue Junot. The gate is unfortunate, as it requires someone to buzz you through. That presupposes that the reception is manned at all times. In our experience, it was hardly ever manned, so we had to rely on passing local residents (or boules players - there are some pitches next door) to let you in. Once through the second gate (again, assuming someone is there to buzz you in), you get to the house. It is stunning to look at, and very peaceful. The room itself (room 2, in our case), was nicely designed, and the bathroom impressively designed (albeit that the big crack in the glass door to the steam room let it down somewhat). The shower controls were also confusing to operate. No minibar (!) and very limited hanging/storage space for clothes if you are staying for more than 1 night.

We had a cocktail at the bar, but it was pretty average - the right ingredients in the wrong proportion.

At breakfast, which we had out in the garden at the front of the hotel, a waiter brought out our food, but then expected us to take all the food, cups and plates off the tray for him.

This all sounds like I'm very down on the place. It's ok, but don't let the decor fool you that you are staying at a top hotel. For service, it is about the worst I've ever been to (I'm a frequent traveller, so this is particularly bad...).

On the plus side, there is an absolutely fantastic brunch restaurant (Marcel) immediately next to the entrance to the hotel, on the corner of Avenue Junit and Villa Leandre, that I would definitely recommend. Extremely fresh food, well prepared with good service. Frequented by very well turned out locals.

Note there was no turndown service in the evening, and if you want to get an early night before 11pm, this is not the place for you, thanks to the noise coming from the ground floor bar til midnight.

For the money, it is overpriced.

• Stayed May 2011