“Tobacco smoke in room, tiny rooms and bathrooms, poor service - AVOID!”

Hotel Convention Montparnasse
Ranked #674 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
USA
“Tobacco smoke in room, tiny rooms and bathrooms, poor service - AVOID!”
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Here is our story. We had to stay 2 nights.
Our dog-house size room (#103) was above the bar where people are parting till 1am (every day!). My 9-year old made a joke, "I know why so many people on the streets in Europe - they do not fit in their rooms". The room was full of smoke - we were very tired, but could not sleep. I asked about another room. Only one with a single bed was available. They forgot about soap in the bathroom. I got almost no sleep that night - the bed was so tiny. I could not enjoy Paris next day - I was even more tired.
The manager pretended that he had no idea about the smoke in the room. The windows are cheaply made - you can smell and hear everything outside. The bathrooms look cute on their website pictures, but actually very tiny with absolutely no space for a cosmetic bag or curling iron near sink. We moved to a larger room for the 2nd night. They forgot about towels this time.
What else? The staff hardly speak English (or pretend they do not).
I could not believe I HAD to ask about the refund, I HAD to talk to the owner. Very unpleasant memories...
It is not the end yet. I asked about a taxi to go to the airport. The manager messed up with the time - he ordered a taxi 0.5 hour late. What a poor service!
This is the end of the ONE BAD HOTEL story, but not our Paris story. Then the taxi had a flat tire and the taxi driver (lady) had hard time to change it and no luck with calling another one. Thanks to a street worker who helped the lady driver. Horrible! We made in the airport on time only because I was aware of the Paris traffic (worse than any large cities of the US) and tried to be there 3 (!!!) hours before our flight, but my kid had no breakfast that morning and I still had to pay 75 euros for the taxi since the hotel is all the way on south - far away from airport.
AVOID THIS PLACE!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Elenasun

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Korean first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on a business trip to Paris. The location was excellent for the show grounds at Porte de Versailles, within easy walking distance. The hotel itself was typical old style French with small rooms and a tiny but adequate reception area. There is free wifi in the hotel and a computer in reception should you need it. I paid for a slightly larger room  and I am glad I did as it was not huge either!
My room faced out onto the main road so was quite noisy, especially with the windows open, but then this was Paris. The room itself was nicely decorated and furnished, with a small but functional shower room. It was ideal for one person but I think it might feel a little cramped for two. There are tea making facilities (no coffee) and the selection was either herbal or menthol - not my choice - and no milk. The staff were friendly and helpful, if a little reserved, and check out was quick and simple. The area itself was OK, from my limited time there, with a few beggars here and there. It is a busy area with plenty of restaurants and shops and has a market on a Thursday.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank David B
Whitinsville, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 June 2013

We have only stayed one night so far (3 night stay). For the high price and 3 star (French) rating it should be better. We are not picky travelers and usually ignore the small stuff.

This Hotel is noisy!

The hotel walls and windows do not insulate against any noise. You can hear everything inside and outside the hotel.

The bar in front is a loud and a happening location. The bar is constantly dropping things; With patrons yelling/partying until 2am.
Side note about the bar - Every time you go through to get to your hotel... it's Hello and Bonjour come sit and eat our way overpriced food (15 euro hamburger!).

During the day there is a carousal for kids on this carousal are screaming kids and crying babies. All very audible while you try to sleep in till 9am.

There is a busy flea market in front of this hotel! (about 3 feet from entrance) that runs from early morning till 8pm (20hr)

You can hear every toilet flush inside this hotel. You can hear every shower. You can hear every footstep.

Ok so the disrepair portion, The handle for the bathroom sink comes right off, the shower head is not on correctly and sprays all over the place.

Also the cleaning staff seems to have forgotten how to clean. There is some old crusted white stains (bodily fluids???) on the nightstand, the Curtain either has giant burn marks or some sort of fecal matter adhered to them, and the headboard of the bed is dirty and has not been cleaned. The walls are dirty with some kind of running (5)drip marks (black) (we are on the second floor).

At times we have noticed an extremely strong odor of sulfur or some kind of rotten egg smells.

The hotel room is so small that you have to literally move the bed to open the balcony doors. No way that two suitcases are able to fit in here comfortably. We have to pile both suitcases on top of each other, than when we need something, you have to put the suitcase on the bed.

As mentioned in other reviews this hotel will not move you from your crap room to another in any attempt to accommodate and make you happy. The staff is rude and will ignore you.

Other than the damned bar in front of the hotel everything in this neighborhood is closed at 8pm (on a Saturday night).

All the restaurants nearby are either Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, or American style hamburger and fried crap. I should note there is one Italian restaurant that smelled absolutely delightful but just came from Italy...

Back to the neighborhood that closes at 8pm, Very few people speak English and most are typical Parisian standoffish toward you. Stay in a different part of Paris and enjoy more friendly folk.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Kimberly518
Arlington, TX
Reviewed 5 June 2013

The location of the Hotel Convention Montparnasse is very near a metro station, but not very near the areas of Paris that tend to be jammed with tourists. As I was a tourist myself, I am the first to admit that we can be a very annoying lot. Staying here allowed us to explore the sights of Paris and also the charming neighborhood in which the hotel is located. Our room was large enough that my husband, son and I could be comfortable. There wasn't much storage space, especially for hanging things, but there is a small safe in the room for valuables. We skipped the supplemental breakfast, enjoying the excellent bakeries in the area instead. Staff was helpful and the room was kept clean. The bathtub/shower only had a half partition, which made it difficult to keep the water in the shower. Overall, this is a reasonably priced hotel with a great location.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 29 May 2013

We got this apartment rental at Hotel Convention Montparnasse and from the outside you could get a bit worried. It is actually a two minutes walk away from the hotel itself. With Carrefours and lots of lovely shops all around, you can comfortably do some shopping while looking around.
The metro is right infront of the hotel itself and also 2minutes walk from the apartment and cabs are always available.
It was a lovely well furnished two bedroom apartment with all the necessary essentials. you are really left alone, no service and all but all you need is provided, like more than enough towels, cookware, cutleries, toiletries et al . My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay and so did our children. It is indeed a little home away from home. Mon aime Paris!

Room Tip: It's an apartment. In a block hut get to see inside first before you conclude. You will be quite...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Osj3110
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I stayed here for a couple of days and was pleased with everything! This hotel located few steps away from the metro station -- that was a big plus. The staffs were friendly, attentive, and professional. I definitely will coming back to this hotel when I visit Paris in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Oxford
Reviewed 18 March 2013

We wanted to take a short break in Paris, to revisit some places, & see others for the first time, and, by recommendation from friends, we went to the Hotel Convention in Montparnasse. I think we got the same room, or a very similar one, as that occupied by reviewer Nina G, because it was small. All right, the name's a giveaway, because this hotel isn't far from the Olympia (Convention Centre) of Paris, so delegates & Reps would likely stay for a night or two & be none the worse for it, and further, the average visitor just wants a bed & toilet facilities, so they'll be out & about most of the time. The hanging space available was small, & we could barely get our clothes for a 5-day stay in the little wardrobe. Also in the bottom of the wardrobe is a small safe. Good, we thought, although it took a while to find the concealed button on the hinge end of its door before we could use it. There was no room for a 'fridge (nor, mercifully, a mini-bar) so we used the balcony to store some fruit & drinks. As the room faced south, this would not work in summer. I'm not small, & if I'd been any fatter, getting in/out of the shower would have been difficult. The shower worked OK once I'd screwed the hose-fitting firmly into the wall, & the one-control tap over the bowl-type basin wasn't easy to work, either. The bed was quite comfortable. There was a TV, but if your French isn't so good you'll not be greatly entertained by it. There was a kettle & makings for instant coffee, but once we'd used the coffee sachets, they weren't replaced by the maid, & we never saw her to ask. Reception staff varied from an extremely helpful young man via indifference to brusqueness verging on rudeness from a young woman. We did not take their breakfast option at 9 Euros pp, preferring to get croissants at 95 cents a go from one of the excellent local boulangeries. Outside the hotel you're in a residential inner suburb, so there are few tourists about, & no eastern European beggars, such as those that infest the popular tourist spots in the city. The Metro stop is yards away, & we recommend that those going for 5 days, as we did, buy their Metro/Bus/RER combined ticket beforehand. We got ours at St Pancras, & it proved an excellent buy.
Just outside the hotel there's a street-market on 3 days a week, & there are lots of Bars, Bistros & restaurants in the area. One we particularly liked was opposite Carrefour, about 500 metres along the Rue De La Convention. There are two bar/restaurants pretty much under the front of the hotel. We tried them both, & we didn't take to either of them. Locals have, probably, many vices - just like anywhere else. We noted that their enthusiasm for (mainly small) dogs left a lot of doggie-poo on the pavements, & their enthusiasm for smoking left thousands of cigarette-butts ditto. If you're a diehard junk-food addict (shame!) then there are MacDo's, Subway & KFC within reach.
We paid £560.48p for our small double - room only for 5 nights, which we thought was quite expensive for what we got. We think we'll do some more ferreting about for an alternative if we decide to go back to Montparnasse another time.

Room Tip: Ask for a large room when booking, otherwise you'll feel a bit like a broom.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple