“Best of class”
Review of Apicius

Apicius
Reserve with
Apicius is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #125 of 17,020 Restaurants in Paris
Price range: US$112 - US$224
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Champs-Elysees
London, United Kingdom
“Best of class”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Of all Michelin starred restaurants in Paris, Apicius deserves a special place.
The chef, JP Vigato, is one of the most inventive talents out there, and cares enormously about his work and his restaurant. You can see him there most days (he's been there each time i've eaten there and i have been in total a good 10 times).
The members of the staff remember you by your name if you go a few times. The bartender knows your favorite cocktail and just checks : "comme d'habitude?". The old fashioned is great. The place is a little gem a quick walk from the champs elysees: a typical "hotel particulier" (private french house) set in a big garden with contemporary art sculptures.
Do try the chocolate souffle. Seems simple but it's the best dessert i've ever had.

• Visited September 2013
5 Thank JackfromParis

Hamilton, Bermuda
“apices,fantastic.”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

beautiful patio,aperitifs outside very good bartender,great lunch with daily specials made from seasonal products,chantrelles,ceps,fresh lobster,great food and presentation,very attentive and professional staff,decor was a mix of old and new,very stylish and sophisticated,overall best 2 stars in Paris, Gerard G.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Gerard G
San Diego, California
“Parisian Perfection”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

The kind chef always sends me out wonderful tempura, just like he did in "le temps passes" at the former location, so how can I complain?

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank CharlesCorreia
Lisbon, Portugal
“Marvellous dinner in a Palace”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The place is overwhelming. A palace with a beautiful garden.
The meal was superb, delicious and with very innovative dishes. The tuna tartare was a must have.
Finished with a chocolate soufflé very delicate, yummi and really well done!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank ameliapcoutinho
San Francisco, California
“Major disappointment”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

It is with deep regret that I have to post a negative review of Apicius.

For many years, it was my family's favorite restaurant in Paris. A wonderful meal in a wonderful environment. We have not been since its move to its current location. The change in location is indicative of the change in the restaurant. By moving to an elegant maison, Apicius is now clearly aiming for a third Michelin star. What had been a warm reception was now starchy and formal.

I should add that we speak French well and were appropriately dressed for a restaurant of this formality. This should dispel the thought that we might have been seen as gauche, American tourists. We also referenced that we had been many times before.

The restaurant is divided into a number of individual small rooms, the living quarters of the
former home. We were seated in an alcove with only one other table. They overlooked the garden, so it was perfectly pleasant. After we were seated, another table was seated next to us about 15 minutes later.

During the course of the dinner, they were treated with attentive service, while we languished. After being given a menu, no one returned to take our order for over 15 minutes. No bread was served. The amuse-bouche was served and then the first course. The sommelier was slow and the wine did not arrive until the first course. I had "grenouille" - frog's legs - and they were fine, if unexceptional. The fish course was also fine, but, again, unexceptional. For dessert, we ordered a chocolate souffle'. It was good, but no better than ones that we have had elsewhere. At one point, I had to reach over to the bottle of Evian and fill my own glass. Not a big deal, one might think, but at a restaurant of this calibre, it is a serious error.

I should now point out the adjacent table was long gone. They had been served more quickly throughout the evening. It was frustrating to see someone else get such attentive service. You might say that I am focusing on the service more than the food and that is true. But at a restaurant with this high of a standard, I expect the food to be extraordinary - and the whole experience to meet that. The food itself was average - for this level of restaurant. It did not soar to reach the truly exceptional.

So, the service stood out more for its failures. I rarely make a fuss, but I felt so frustrated that I summoned the manager to report my dissatisfaction. Let me stress again, I rarely do this.

The bar for a two-star restaurant with aspirations to three stars is set very high. And it is within that category that I place my comments. It should be judged by its peers, not by the normal standards of most restaurants.

So, no more visits to Apicius. But then there are so many other fine restaurants in Paris to explore.....

• Visited November 2013