“A delicious welcome to my first night in Paris”
Review of Au Bascou

Au Bascou
Reserve with
Save up to 20% when you reserve online *
Au Bascou is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,091 of 17,161 Restaurants in Paris
Price range: US$0 - US$66
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Notre Dame / Marais
Ottawa
“A delicious welcome to my first night in Paris”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I found the service excellent. There was no rush and there was no feeling of being ignored. The food to be well prepared and well presented. I enoyed every mouthful. I would have returned for a second dinner, except I only had 2 nights and wanted to try another restaurant. In hindsight, it would have been better to eat there again. Next time for sure!

Visited November 2013
1 Thank J_Rome

• Czech first
South Burlington, Vermont, United States
“Simply wonderful”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I ate here two nights in a row, the second time because I was so delighted with the first. The service was pleasant and efficient; the food was wonderful. I was particularly taken with a dish of veal steaks ("os de veau") served on a mound of carrots flavored with ginger and orange. Like everything else I ate there, this dish was seemingly simple, flawlessly executed, and perfectly harmonious, containing a polyphony of clean, clear flavors. The meat was extraordinarily tender and juicy, with just the faintest hint of char in its crust to give it balance in every dimension; the carrots both complemented and contrasted, their tender texture and juiciness providing a fine shading to that of the meat, their delicate edge of citrus and ginger playing off against the meat's faint char. Every mouthful was symphonic. The atmosphere is friendly and welcoming; the waitress remembered me the second night I came in, although I don't think I'm all that memorable. But this restaurant is.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank Seth S
British Columbia
“We are here twice in a week”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Yes, it was a short walk from our apartment.... But we ate here twice because of the exceptional food and service. They offer classic Basque cuisine. The duck pâté appetizer was amazing. One cold rainy evening in September we were seated in the glassed enclosed room. Because it was all glass there was a bit of a draft. The restaurant anticipated that it maybe a little cool and provided lap blankets. Oh how Parisian. I know there are a lot of restaurants in the City of Paris but you should put Au Bascou on your must dine here list!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank islacurious
United States
“Very fatty meal”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We came here because of Trip Advisor reviews but I'm afraid our lunch was the worst meal in 23 days in Europe. We ordered a very good Basque wine and the 3 course Plate. The first course was a brown-hued dish with some interesting and vinegary lentil and mostly pork fat with a few scraps of meat attached to the fat and gristle (I thought the menu said andouille but it was not ndouille like you'd eat in NOLA and was more a pile of fat with attached tmeat scraps). I ate the lentils and enjoyed them but left behind most of the meat. The spouse was hungry and ate all of his. He would later regret this decision.

The second course was a brown-hued dish of beef bourgogne and tagliatelle dish that was also very fatty and I chopped off the fat I could chop off and ate about a third of what remained of the beef and noodles. I liked the noodles. The stew was tasty enough though very heavy/fatty. Old school, some might say. I don't judge the food, only saying it's not to my taste. I am sure is a hearty dish that would fuel a hard worker for a day. That much fat is overkill for me (and even when we were poor we didn't leave this much fat on the meat). The dessert was a brown-hued chocolate sponge cake with crispy caramel sugar and chocolate ice cream (brown food all the way). Dessert was overly sweet but I finished about 95% because, hey--it's dessert!

Spouse felt sick all day and didn't want dinner, which was pretty rare, but I was fine. I would say that if you are young and can eat a lot of fat, or if you want a lot of food this could be a good place to go. If I went back I'd order à la carte and try to stick with vegetable dishes because the meat was kinda gross. The service was excellent and the bathroom is fantastic. These last two things raise my 1 star rating to a 2.

• Visited September 2013
“Would definately go back again”
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

Very good food at times exceptional. Traveling on the metro overestimated time needed to get there for opening. Arrived 30 minutes early but were greeted warmly and seated , and offered a glass of wine.
Starters were really good but the main courses were where the restaurant really shined! I had the duck breast with Foie Gras . One of the best meals I have had in a month traveling through Europe. We also had the Axoa ( Basque Veal Stew) the best I have had in French and Spanish Basque Country Cuisine in many years. Already planning our next trip to Paris and returning to this restaurant.

• Visited October 2013