“A spectacle for a special occasion”
Review of Brasserie Bofinger

Brasserie Bofinger
Reserve with
Brasserie Bofinger is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,992 of 19,251 Restaurants in Paris
Price range: US$35 - US$67
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Le Marais
Description: Founded in 1864 mere steps from the Place des Vosges and Place de la Bastille, Brasserie Bofinger is considered to be the "most beautiful brasserie in Paris". Deep in the heart of Paris' 4th arrondissement in a Belle Epoque setting, come discover the refined quality of a traditional Alsatian meal.
Reviewed 27 June 2018

I worked in Paris years ago and walked past Bofinger every day, but never had the time to dine there. It is in the tradition of the great Parisian brasserie, and while you will find the similar menus all over France it would be difficult to find such a beautiful example of such a restaurant. The staff, rushing around purposefully, were efficient and courteous. I shared a delicious choucroute with a friend; my wife enjoyed a perfectly cooked calves liver. I wish I'd not waited so long to enjoy the experience!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,333)

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

Everything went well until we ordered dessert. According to the manager it is a tradition to make the crepes and light them up inside the restaurant, really close to the tables. We constantly felt the the heat of the big flames of the Grand Marnier lighting up while we were eating. Afterwards we ordered some Grand Marnier crepes which were made on the same spot as described before. While pouring Grand Marnier into the stove which already had fire over the crepes, the cork with the pourer, fell from the bottle into the stove and made a huge explosion which sent a spash of fire and lighten Grand Marnier that to three tables around the stove. Our waitress who was making the crepes, ran to the kitchen to get some wet towels to get the hot grand marnier of us. She was extremely kind and very ashamed at the accident that just ocurred. She apologized and it was all ok as we understood it had been an accident and luckily no one got burned badly. Afterwards a manager came around to clean the stove. I told him in a very calm way that it was not the best place to make these desserts (we told him it should be done inside the kitchen), which I feel I was in absolute right to tell him after what just had happened. He answered in the most disrespectful and insulting way and told us that we had no place in tell how to do his job, that it was his restaurant (which it wasn’t) and he said he would do some more crepes right after he finished talking to us in the same place as before. I obviously got extremely mad at his ridiculous response... In any other place they would’ve called a medic since we got burned or offered some sort of help. Other than our kind waitress who was doing the most she could the manager kept on yelling us he was a professional and that he did not care that it was a dangerous spot to cook the crepes until que started shouting at us in French (we talked to him in English the whole time) until he shouted in a very very loud and sarcastic voice that he would pay for our check (which he didn’t). We were certainly not asking for that, we were simply asking for respect from him as he had no right to talk and treat me like that after I got splashed with fire. He sarcastically told us to send him the ticket of what we would have to pay for sending our clothes to a cleaning service since they got all stained with butter and alcohol from the crepes which was a very disrespectful response. After that we asked for the main manager to come to our table. He simply did not care about the situation at all. Other 3 tables around us stood up and started telling the manager we had been humiliated by the other guy who called himself the owner and the we had the right to be mad at him for what had happened. Our waitress was so ashamed how things escalated that she started shedding tears. A very nice lady next to us helped us describe what happened and how disrespectful the floor manager was he was, she was also very mad since the explosion also got to her as well. People from two tables came to me and gave me their cards, in case we wanted to take this issue to a law firm. The main manager kept on being oblivious to the situation also very very disrespectful and aggresive until he finally gave us the check, we paid and left. I had never been treated like this in a restaurant. I was astonished at how terribly they reacted to this accident as should be professional enough to know how to handle an accident like this. The manager and main manager were extremely disrespectful, and insulting to us as well to other clients who stood up and helped us with the situation.

2  Thank gonzalomadrazo
Reviewed 23 June 2018

What a charming place located in Bastille Paris , the interior of the place is stunning had a dinner on the second floor i recommend first floor though it's more appealing .
Gastronomy to another level order the big seafood plate it's fantastic .
deserts are awesome as well love this place will definitely come back .

Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

I guess you could say my family and I had the quintessential experience of rude and snotty French waiters. I've never been treated like that at a restaurant. It blew my mind. I was really sad that I wasted one of my three nights in Paris at Bofinger. The food was fine, but not outstanding and the service was honestly the worst I've ever had. I definitely wouldn't waste a dinner here when there are plenty of other wonderful food choices in Paris!!!

1  Thank peacelovefood7
Reviewed 18 June 2018

So many good restaurants gone. So many others have forgotten how to cook. "Bofinger" is still as good as my first meal in middle of the last century. The quality of the food undiminished. Service excellent. Don't miss it.