“Beautiful food but.....”

Price range: US$145 - US$246
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Counts of Crillon's former ballroom now hosts a gastronomic restaurant, acknowledged to be one of the best dining venues in the city. The place is grand and majestic, impressive in its scope as well as in the splendour of its Louis XV decoration, performed at the time by architect Ange-Jacques Gabriel: marble marquetry made of six different varieties, sumptuous crystal chandeliers, frescoes on the ceiling. In 2011, the restaurant has received its first Michelin star, awarded to its young and talented Chef Christopher Hache and his team.
Reviewed 7 April 2013

The dining room is opulent, the food was very good (not outstanding) and the service was what you would expect in a restaurant of this standard.
However, I thought it was hugely over priced.
To charge 24 euros for 2 double espresso's is ridiculous!!! The restaurant knows it's clientele and abuses it. There are better places to eat in Paris that do not take advantage of your wallet!!

4  Thank bazzafontaine
There are newer reviews for Les Ambassadeurs

Reviewed 24 March 2013

Probably the most beautiful restaurant I have ever eaten!
As a starter I had the lobster. For main the fish with the MOST delicious sauce ever! And the desert was a Poire Belle Helene.
My friend and I were extremely happy and impressed by the culinary experience.
The service was very personalised and excellent overall.

I am VERY upset on Tripadvisor who allows people that have below 5 comments to talk badly about this place, and I am even MORE upset with people who find it "useful"!!! Tripadvisor should really talk to these people or try to eat at Le Crillon and see by themselves that it is an exceptional place!!!!

2  Thank Malvina31
Reviewed 19 March 2013

I stayed in Crillon last month and dined in the restaurant. Overall very disappointing. The hotel and dining room are stunning, no complants. The menu was very limited and what I had lacked any wow factor you would expect from a michelin star restaurant. The lobster starter was bland, the avocado guacamole had no flavour. The main course was served in 2 parts; a beef carpaccio and simmental steak. Separately they were fine but it was more like eating 2 dishes instead of 1 main course. The steak dish was delicious however, the 1 big plus of the evening. The dessert was nice, "Belle Helene" but M&S could easily beat it.
The wine list was impressive and I liked the fact that I could buy by the glass to compliment each course. Service was good but let down at the end of the night when leaving. There was no one at the restaurant entrance to at least say thank you and good night, a basic courtesy I would expect in a restaurant of that class.
I've only been to 4 michelin star restaurants in my life and don't claim to be an expert but the other 3 restaurants were far better. In summary I'll remember the club sandwich I had in the winter garden the following day as the highlight of my dining experience in the hotel.
A thank you to the hotel for the complimentary champagne in the room, very enjoyable.

3  Thank Brendan B
Reviewed 27 February 2013

This is one of the restaurants I visit every time whenever I stay in Paris to enjoy Pain Perdu (French Toast) at breakfast. The room looks like a part of The Hall of Mirrors at Chateau de Versailles. The quality of staffs are very high in terms of politeness and hospitality, and those have been unchanged in the past 30 years. They, especially manager, make us very comfortable. About Pain Perdu (French Toast), initially there was no such menu for breakfast but I learned that some repeaters ordered there, and now it's on the breakfast menu although French people normally does not eat it at breakfast. The bread is so soft and soaked in beaten eggs, milk, and sugar perfectly. Although it used to be better in the past, as long as I know some discreet restaurants, this French Toast is still the best in Paris.
On the other hand I don't have any experience for dinner here. Someday I will try.

3  Thank MarinaDelRey335
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Visited as a couple for a nice romantic dinner the weekend after St Valentine's. We have done a number of Michelin-star restaurants in Paris and I have to admit that this room is one of the nicest venues you can see - it is really beautiful.

The service was attentive and polite (with one exception below).
The food was generally good (not great as you'd expect from such a place), although the menu was rather unimaginative (both the a la carte and the set choice). Exceptions:
- the great foie gras - very, very good!
- the really disappointing, almost tasteless, desserts

For that type of restaurant the food (although not seductive) was reasonably priced (at E150 pp)

However, when it got to wine we made a bit of a mistake: we did not want to limit ourselves to one bottle, so we asked the somelier to recommend/pair some wine glasses with our dishes. Cut a long story short, we got 7 glasses (125ml) of wine. It turned out that each glass was priced about Eur 60, which I found rather annoying (ie E430 for 7 wine glasses). I think it is only appropriate for a somelier, when they are asked to serve glasses, to give some indication of price per glass before they serve. Otherwise what's stopping them to serve glasses from a E10,000 bottle at E2,000 per glass?? It is not so much about the money (you go to an expensive restaurant and you expect to pay), but the principle of being treated with respect and not being taken advantage of.
Also I did not understand why a glass of gin on ice should be charged E29...

Even worse was the following ackward moment:
the somelier asks my wife what kind of white she wanted with the first, she responds rather vaguely, he pours a sip for her to taste, she says she prefers something less metallic, and he makes a completely impolite (almost insulting) comment pretty much telling her off for not being clear and specific... !!!
It sounded more like a bad teacher telling off a little kid for not doing their homework...
Ok, French service is often a bit weird with those matters, but there is a limit. Especially when I pay Eur 800 for dinner, I do demand to be treated with respect and courtesy.

Other than that, a very good experience, albeit rather overpriced.

PS: Next time get a bottle :)

7  Thank GeoB73