“Terrible ”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery
Neighbourhood: 9th Arr. - Opera
Reviewed 21 August 2016 via mobile

This place came highly recommended. Walked in and the place was packed. My immediate impression was of a school dinner canten.

I have a habit of looking at what's on other people's plates and the good looked frankly terrible.

The waiter showed us to a table and Seated us on a bench with another couple on the same table. No privacy to chat at all. We walked out.

Reviewed 19 August 2016

We've been coming here for about 15 years and it now feels like home from home. Originally we found the waiters to be very rude, but in a comedic way, and we looked forward to being verbally abused and sneered at when we ordered. This has now changed (to our slight disappointment) and the waiting staff are all lovely. The front has recently been redeveloped and includes a new shop stocking all of the things that usually get pinched, such as tablecloths and plates donning the Chartier logo. We love this place, and as long as we keep visiting Paris, we'll be returning to Le Bouillon Chartier.

1  Thank Phil P
Reviewed 19 August 2016

Last year I came to this restaurant due to its good reputation that serves delicious yet affordable french dining cuisine with my husband family. And we paid the restaurant second visit with my wedding shooting team since it was a good new place to recommend to those that haven't been too.

So, this year I came back to Paris with my family and this time this restaurant failed to impress us like last time. We're basically disappointed and get fed up with the service given. I knew the menu is in french and last year we equipped ourselves with french translation in order to order food conveniently but this year is my bad, i forgot about that. So, I asked on some dishes that I didn't really understand what they are and end up those dishes were served on our table and to our horror that one of the dish was served in double portion even though we didn't ask for it, it's just plainly decision made by the waiter by saying you won't regret to eat this, you better order two. Imagine there's only 6 of us to finished of more than 7 plates on main dishes, we eventually asked him to return the repeated dish since we didn't order it. By the way, not forgetting to mention that dish was a steamed whole fish which is not tasty at all.

Besides that, last year even we didn't order wine while dining, Chartier was kind enough to serve us with plain tap water but not this year. This year, we ordered beer only and asked for tap water, end up he came with bottled water and quickly opened the cap so that we didn't even have the time to stop him. We noticed our surroundings for those that didn't ordered wine will surely being charged with at least one Vitel bottled water but those that ordered wine, there'll be tap water for free. Don't you think this is so unfair to us as customers?

Apart from that, what I can't stand is the attitude of the waiter where he kept coming to our table to ask "are we done yet?". I remembered he asked more than 2 times, please, don't you think it's a bit rude to push us away? I know we didn't order dessert like other tables did.

What i can say is it was totally different service provided compared to last year and careful with the calculations which they usually scribbled on the table, the waiter actually calculated more than it should but we just remained quiet since it was just 50 cent difference. Last year, I still remembered I had a fun chat with the waiter and left him a good amount of tips but surely, not this time.

**if you're not used to eat with medium rare beef, please tell them because they will not ask you on this.

Date of visit: July 2016
1  Thank sugarhunt
brasserieparis, Responsable commercial at Le Bouillon Chartier, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2016

Dear Client,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

We want to apologize if the quality of the service and the food didn’t answer to your expectations.

Your experience has been shared with our managing director and chef. We would like to have more information (number or physical description of the waiter) in order to take appropriate action to ensure similar experience does not happen again.

We hope that we will have an opportunity to restore your confidence in Bouillon Chartier.

Best regards

Bouillon Chartier
commercial@bouillon-chartier.com

Reviewed 18 August 2016

This restaurant was recommended by family & I'm glad we had the chance to come! We came her shortly after lunch so missed the dreaded queuing... We were brought to a table shortly and ordered snails for our starter and steak for our mains. We both chose the chestnut dessert and mmmmmmmm it was LOVELY! Prices were cheap in comparison to a majority of french restaurants. Food and atmosphere was great!

Date of visit: September 2015
Reviewed 18 August 2016

We had a good experience overall, the queue was long but cleared quickly. The menu was quite extensive, had popular French cuisine, and matching wines, The downside was our waitress spoke in French, and because we didn't understand her, our steak came out really rare. The place was crowded but service was fast. Good value for money but it is certainly not fine dining.