“Nearly last meal standard!”
Review of Chez Papa - CLOSED

Chez Papa
Price range: US$17 - US$41
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dublin, Ireland
“Nearly last meal standard!”
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

I shall ignore the food initially as I have to say the customer service was fantastic. We were welcomed immediately and given our choice of tables. I often feel like a burden to many of the waiting staff in Paris!

The menus were only in French which I consider to be a good sign. Our limited French could easily overcome such a challenge.

I had the beef steak and it nearly blew my mind. The taste was sensational. I have rarely (if ever) had a steak so full of taste. In fact, I did not put any salt or sauce on the steak for fear of interfering with the taste.

My wife had an omelette which was fresh and bubbled with flavour.

Everything else was perfect. The wine was like silk down our throats while the desert was full of flavour.

We really enjoyed this experience and the bill was lower than expected!

• Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Knebworth, United Kingdom
“Decent food, excellent waiter!”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We ate here just because we were staying local and our hotel recommended the place. The fact it was very busy for a Sunday evening would suggest that it was popular with locals as well as visitors and we were served by a very attentive, and multi lingual, waiter at our upstairs table. We shared a mixed cold meat/pate platter that was more than enough for the four of us and we all ordered Chateaubriand steaks for main course.

The steak was excellent, well cooked and reasonably priced and you could order individually and didn't have to order it as a pair - which was unusual. Although stuffed, we couldn't resist the puddings and the waiter described them well and made some great recommendations.

On leaving the restaurant we were invited by the owner to share an after dinner Almanac which went down well!

Definitely worth a visit for a reasonably priced, well served meal!

Paris, France
“Decent food and prices- poor service and atmosphere”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I came here for dinner around 21:00 on a Sunday night (believe it or not it is one of the few restaurants open in the 8th district on Sunday), and I had read some positive reviews online.
I knew that this was not in any ways going to be a fine dining experience, but that didn't matter much, and I was excited to try out this franchise (there are several around Paris) famous for their traditional 'Basque' cooking (one of my preferred regions in France).
The waiter seated me at a very dark table with no lighting, and after some insisting on my part, he rather reluctantly agreed to seat me at another table. He proceeded to do the same thing to a couple of tourists who had arrived just after me, and who also complained about the lack of lighting, and yes after they changed tables, he tried it a third time with another couple of foreigners! (This is a recurrent issue in Paris which I have noticed, where foreigners and tourists often do not get the same treatment as French diners).

The menu was quite varied with many different Basque regional dishes. The portions are quite large and the prices are reasonable. The wine selection was also extensive and affordable. The food overall was very acceptable.

However, the atmosphere was quite disappointing, it seemed more like a fast food joint than a restaurant, and the waiter tending to my section was cocky and arrogant without being professional. I was astonished when he brought the wrong starter to a man next to me, and did not even apologize for the mistake, he actually seemed annoyed that the customer would not just accept a different starter!! (Alas, an all to familiar problem in Paris).

Melbourne, Australia
“Fantastic in every way”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This is a busy little restaurant and justifiably so. 3 of us all agreed it was one of those very memorable meals. Atmosphere was great, service impeccable, especially from our lovely waitress Charlotta who was most helpful explaining the menu and translating into English. And of course the food was delicious and beautifully presented. All in all a 10 out of 10 experience and will definitely dine there again before we leave Paris.

Stevenage, United Kingdom
“Hearty South Western Food”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We chose this restaurant following a recommendation from our hotel, there wasn't much open in the vicinity on Sunday evening and this was deemed the best option locally.

The staff were very friendly and welcoming and the food was a little better than decent - yet another instance where I would have awarded three and a half if available. We all had the best steak available and were happy with the offering, all pretty much cooked as requested. Passable bottles of both red and white Sancerre and good desserts rounded off what was a good meal for all, especially given that this is a Parisien chain.