“Classic bistro, poor food”
Review of Chez Rene

Chez Rene
Reserve with
Chez Rene is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,500 of 18,488 Restaurants in Paris
Price range: US$0 - US$88
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Odéon / Saint-Michel
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Oldfashioned fatty food without any love.. Very disappointing. Same heavy sauce for the coq au vin and the bourgignon.

2  Thank Manuel F

Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Birthday celebration meal. Bad choice.Ravioli starter for me,complete mush.Beef bourgignon was past its sell by date.Partners canard pate was excellent though but had same main as me,oh dear.Service whas excellent.though.Food poor.Blame reviews for my choice.If I couldn't cook better than that I'd starve.

2  Thank Roy H
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Our 4th visit since 1993 and they still offer the same amazing culinary experience, the blanquette de veau and coq au vin were delicious, we had a great wine and also received a kind and attentionate service from Daniel the waiter. A 7 star restaurant indeed.

2  Thank EAGIN
Reviewed 23 April 2014

My wife and I are New Yorkers in Paris for a week, Several Parisian and NYC friends recommended this place. Most of the people here seemed local. We do not speak French and the staff was overly accommodating and helpful, which put us at ease. The food was wonderful. I had foie gras and my wife had salad with beets. Excellent. For dinner we had beef bourguignon and my lovely wife had some sort of fish. Both were fabulous. We had a side order of French fries. My wife asked for KETCHUP and the older French woman looked at us, horrified, and said in clear English, "I am sorry". It was kinda funny.

Chocolate mouse and strawberries for dessert.

Sincerely, if you come to Paris - or if you live in Paris - you MUST eat here. You will NOT BE disappointed.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Chez Rene is a on of Paris' longest established Bistros offering a great atmosphere and some classic Bistro food. The place was packed out on the Saturday evening we went, but you can reserve a table on-line at Lafourchette.com.

We went for the most traditional items on the menu (Coq au vin, Boeuf Bourgignon) and they did not disappoint. Huge portions and a wonderful rich dark sauce. Friendly service, tiny closely packed tables. Good value for money and a great experience.

1  Thank Joel M