“Classic French bistro, wonderful food”

Josephine Chez Dumonet
Ranked #729 of 17,420 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Saint-Germain-des-Pres
Morges, Switzerland
“Classic French bistro, wonderful food”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This is a great little bistro, reservations highly recommended. The service is spectacular, portions are huge (you can always ask to share) and the Grand Marnier soufflé is something I'll dream of for days...Good value for money given the quantity of food and its amazing quality. Do book in advance and unfortunately, be aware they are closed on the weekends.

Visited May 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
United States
“Loud! Slow Service. Avg Food”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

So loud in there! I'm talking about Chili's restaurant on a Saturday night times two. And you'll be surrounded by Americans. The servers were running around stressed. This was the most disappointing meal we had in Paris, and one of the most expensive. I don't get all the bragging about the desserts or food either. Plus, we had gnats flying around us the whole time. I could have forgiven it all except that it took so long between courses and we had to ask for our check twice, the second time after a 15 minute wait. Our server kept getting yelled at by the owner. This was the only place we visited in Paris that made my husband say, "I'm so done with this." As in, I can't wait to leave! We didn't dare order coffee.

1 Thank moonslice
London
“Traditional Paris Bistro”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

If you are looking for a traditional Parisienne bistro this fits the bill. It recently featured in the film 'Le Week-End' starring Jim Broadbent and Lindsay Duncan.
The food is consistently good with typical French bistro specialities cooked to perfection and the portions are generous. The restaurant is by no means cheap but you won't regret eating there.
Extensive wine list, very friendly, helpful service.
Booking essential.

Chicago, Illinois
“Classique”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Very old school -- with a very classic, but up-to-date menu (I sort of remember going to a Chez Josephine in 1984 -- is it possible?). I had the pigeon -- wonderful. The souffle -- gorgeous -- enough for two. The portions were also old-school -- i.e. large. The service was polished and friendly. Avoid the salad however -- way too salty. Prices are high, so beware (and share). However, I think this is my favorite (as I had thought in 1984).

Baltimore, Maryland
“Wonderful dinner”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Saved this place, for our last meal in Paris. And it was an excellent choice. Cozy and slightly cramped, in a way that is only charming in Paris, we thoroughly enjoyed the evening. The food was terrific. The shrimp started was absolutely delicious, and an interesting preparation. The Bouef Bourguignon was the best I have ever had, even better than the excellent one I have made at home! My brother's Duck Confit, was according to him, one of the best he has ever had. Dessert was a little disappointing, my creme brulee was not 100% set and was a little soupy, but it had a great flavor. All four of us thoroughly enjoyed our meals.
The best part of the meal was the convivial neighborhood atmosphere. The other diners were clearly regulars, greeted with warm hugs and cheek kisses by the waiters. The chef came out to welcome those that were obviously very frequent visitors, even taking one gentleman's phone to chat with whoever was on the other end. There was a lot of laughing and joking among them, which made for such a comfortable, and pleasant time. I will absolutely return here the next time I am in Paris. It was the perfect way to end our week long stay.

• Visited April 2014