“Best of the Best”

Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Trocadero
Reviewed 17 June 2012

We're just home from a "significant" birthday trip to London and Paris, and among several Michelin-3-starred restaurants, we selected L'Astrance (propitiously) as THE birthday celebration meal. It was amazing on every level -- the atmosphere, the service, the food, the pacing -- everything was perfect. It's a tough reservation to get, and we had advance assistance from our hotel concierge. (Our hotel happened to be front-end partner Christophe Rohat's favorite. We think that helped.) We read a good bit about the menus before we went, but there were pleasant surprises all along the way. L'Astrance stood head-and-shoulders above our other fine dining in Paris.

Reviewed 14 June 2012

Even if you are the fussiest of foodies, this fabulous restaurant will knock your socks off. Order the surprise tasting menu and the surprise flight of wines and prepare to have the best culinary experience of your life.

2  Thank lucyswiftwy
Reviewed 13 June 2012

We have lived near this restaurant for 3 years, since it is next to the school our kids use. So we have tried many times to get reservations, and have eaten there 5-10 times, mostly lunch. Unless you reserve way in advance, it's probably not going to happen, except for the occasional lucky cancellation. But they are perfectly cordial in the face of my US English, and terrible French, They are gracious to a fault in my experience.

The food is experimental, ornate, and while they will adjust for allergies, the choices are limited. Ambiance is austere but comfortable. Probably chic. It's what detractors call "elf-food", and it's quite expensive. But sublime. You do run a risk of having something not to your taste if you don't ask. For example, I had one of the most wonderful razor clams ever last visit, but razor clams aren't something everyone likes.

So if you want wonderful small plate food with an experimental bent, you have to try it. If your taste runs to steak and frites, duck confit, and blanquette de veau, you are my kind of people, but that isn't what's happening here.

I have also never been disappointed by their wine pairings, but they won't be famous bottles, and they will be a little edgy and out of the box. If you prefer a glass of chardonnay or cab, you might let your taste be known.

I

4  Thank svnr2000
Reviewed 13 June 2012

I had lunch at L'Astrance on the 6th of June.
I arrived promptly at 12.30pm and was immediately seated and was served with the first amuse bouche. The tables and chairs were already arranged with the expected number of people and groupings. (There was one table for seven, 2 tables for four, 2 tables for two, and one table for one which is me. This is downstairs)
I had the menu Astrance with wine pairing. The whole meal was excellent and wine pairing was suited to each dish perfectly. I had 3 amuse bouches, 2 entrées, 3 plat principal, one mystery dish, one palate cleanser and 2 assortments of desserts (3 dishes in each) and end with coffee.
Service was excellent. The courses were served with explanation of each dish. The sommelier comes over and explains the wine, and show me the labels. Bread and butter was promptly replenished. And the waiters and sommelier spoke very good English. As a solo diner, I feel very comfortable during the meal.
Reservation is difficult but not impossible. You should called two months ahead before the month of the meal. They will give you a date to call (for me it is the last Friday of April for reservation for early June). On that day, start calling at 10am Paris time, you may not get through the first time but if you try enough times, eventually you will reach the waiting music of a Horn Concerto. Once the call is put through, just make the reservation. I spoke in French with English at the end when the information needed gets a bit more difficult to understand but one should be able to do the whole thing in English.
There is no bias against Asians or as far as I am concern. I was treated well on the phone and also at the restaurant. I was the only Asian for lunch that day and never once did I feel that I was treated badly or condescendingly.
One tip: you should be flexible with regards to the day and time you want to go there. Dinner bookings are completed very fast. But booking for lunch was available for all 3 days that I was in Paris.

4  Thank AlanLu
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We too found it impossible to get a booking despite using American Express Concierge starting months in advance and calling exactly as requested. I can only assume this is the French way of keeping something for themselves - and it sounds worth keeping. Fortunately many other countries are willing to share their fine dining and welcome you to their restaurant with polite assistance and openness.

12  Thank Supercalufragilustic