“OK, but don't expect 3 star”
Review of L'Astrance

L'Astrance
Ranked #540 of 17,420 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Trocadero
Paris
“OK, but don't expect 3 star”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

After the complicated booking procedure (telephone on 1st of the month before the month you wish to go, when the line is engaged for hours) and the excellent reports, we were geared up for a wonderful experience. The courses were of varying quality, some excellent (the ginger and chili sorbet especially), several good (fish, one of the desserts) and others disappointing (3 wafers of cheese, minute portions of meat, fruit dish of grapes and sliced apples). We chose the wine supplement and enjoyed the champagne and a couple of whites, then had an unusual white which several of us did not enjoy (but they still served it to us again with the following course) and were not impressed with the red. Several of our party chose the truffle supplement at 80 euros (for one course) and 150 euros (for one course and to have white truffle grated over the chicken course) which was not worth the additional cost. The staff were ok (wine waiter was very informative), but not particularly obliging, and some of our party commented on the tired decor (and the tatty gents' loos). While it is still worth a visit, if you want a 3 star restaurant in Paris, there are others which are much much better. In fact there are restaurants with no stars at all which are better than Astrance, or maybe we just hit a bad night?

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank ParisJanetParis

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“French Food with Asian subtle twists”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I was lucky to get the last table when I went personally to make a reservation and to look at the menu. As I was alone, I decided to take the last table and settled in to look at the menu.The decor was neither typical French or very modern minimalist.Nice clean white tablecloths, waiters smartly dressed in suits and spoke good English.
I refused an aperitif as I thought I would order wine with my meal.The menu arrived and there were no dishes just 3 different options for a full meal prepared by the chef .The options varied in prices and I took the cheapest option which was for lunch at 70 euros and decided to add the wine pairing with a additional of 50 euros.
Service went like clockwork, very professional and every dish and wine explained when it was brought to the table.
Presentation of the food was beautiful overall.
This is my personal opinion of the food and as you know tastes differ greatly.
Some dishes for example, mackerel fish was excellent because of the bit of Japanese ingredients that he used and as a Asian , I love Japanese food so I was more partial to that. The small delicate chunks of raw tuna in a fennel broth was also to my liking.
Unfortunately the lamb, with a bit of kidney on a bed of bitter Vietnamese cabbage sprinkled with some curry spices , with olive tapanade was to me just alright. The lamb cooked to perfection but unfortunately I am not a fan of olives in any form. Then there was a espuma of potato,fromage blanc and I am sure other ingredients with a bit of vanilla ice cream was interesting. There was also a very smooth chilli and lemongrass sorbet.In total there must have been at least 8 or 9 different small and large dishes brought to the table.I sat down at 12.30pm and left a bit after 3pm.
The wines were excellent, I am not an expert just by taste, I know what I like to drink and they went well with the food.
Would I return ? Probably not, because I prefer French food to be French with French ingredients but it was a good experience to try such creations by a talented chef using excellent ingredients sourced from all over the world.
The whole overall experience was good and interesting .

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Vicky K
Columbia, MO
“great food (of course), but the WINE!!”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We had great expectations that were even exceeded by the actual experience, a joyous event. Much has been written about the food, and it certainly is beautiful, creative, abundant, and delicious--deserving of a ranking among the best in the world. There are some sharp knives in that kitchen.

I must say that the wine pairings were the surprise for us. Alexandre, the congenial sommelier of considerable genius, had assembled a selection that couldn't possibly have enhanced the food more. The theme was AMAZINGLY gorgeous aromatics. A truly superb Charmes-Chambertin and several of the whites were massive in their intensity, unlike anything I had ever experienced. Bravissimo!

Service was perfect: attentive, precise, and above all, delivered with humor and a warm personal touch.

Although very expensive, the quality/cost ratio was VERY high. If you can get a reservation, do yourself a favor.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank thegort
New York City, New York
“Lovely lunch”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

If you are on a budget go for lunch, food was very good, as it should have been, with a very Asian flair and all the courses were very interesting. Hard to make a reservation called a few times with no success and then at the last minute they decided to take our money! The decor is fine but nothing spectacular. Truthfully I think the Michelin 3* do a better job in San Sebastián and don't know if I would be in a hurry to go back to astrance. Very good but there are better!

• Visited November 2012
3 Thank Bebsremote
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We secured our table 2 months in advance. This was going to be our special meal in Paris for our 10th wedding anniversary. So we jumped in a cab and headed off, pulling up at a very unassuming frontage, to be met by name by one of the staff. He told us we were very lucky and that it was just us there tonight. At this, we did start to worry a little as everything we had read said this place was hard to get into and always packed. We needn't have worried, others soon began to arrive and the place was full. This is where we discovered the French sense of humour which is very cheeky. Then started our meal, our booking was at 8.30 and we were still eating and drinking at 11.30! We lost count of the courses, we think 10 with the option of a different wine with every course. Little delights kept on coming and everything was delicious. Now this isn't a cheap place to eat, the option with wine was 330 euro each but it was just perfect for our celebratory meal. The venue was very small (seating 24 that evening) but tastefully decorated. The staff were lovely and very attentive. Everything was explained once it arrived and also the wine, year, grape, region etc. fantastic place.

• Visited September 2013