“Why?”

Neighbourhood: Montparnasse
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Why?”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We booked because we liked the look of the menu. On holiday I go to a restaurant to enjoy the experience and pass a pleasant evening and enjoy good food. This do not happen here.
An American couple squashed beside us said they had never seen such a crowded restaurant. They counted 25 people inside a very small room. Most diners were couples and the tables were so arranged that those on the inside were served ( eventually) by the waitress leaning over the outside couple so one dodged passing food. Customers and the waitress could only pass through the place with greatest of difficulty. The room was so small that tables and people had to be crammed in so as to make a living. There were 2 sittings. At one time I looked around and saw that only 5 of the 25 had something to eat. I'm afraid that, for me, the food did not make up for the discomfort, the portions being very small and undistinguished. My companion and I left without regret and had an excellent cheese board and drink in the bar D ' Odessa luckily just up the road,thus rescuing a dismal evening.
Of course some people may relish the intimate atmosphere.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank CHRIS C

Tasmania, Aust
“Highly a Recommended”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My husband and I found this restaurant through TA and could not have been happier. We asked our hotel concierge to make a booking and realize that we would have been turned away without this. We enjoyed a bream pâté win truffles, a pork fillet and a goose main, followed by a shared raspberry crumble. The maître marched our courses with suitable wines, all very enjoyable. This restaurant is very tight and you will find yourself seated very close to other diners. However we loved our meal there and would not change a thing. It felt like a uniquely Feench experience, affordable and with a lovely choice of dishes.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank bellalab
Astoria oregon
1,080 restaurant reviews
“Very French small intimate busy with authentic dishes focusing on Pyrnees roots of owners.”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Small lively restaurant that we could not get into until 10:00 pm
or 2200. Folks truly enjoyed food here. Lingered and visited and enjoyed every morsel.
Tripe, duck, pigs head, foie gras, snails are some menu items.
I had milk lamb buddy had tripe.
Fish bisque, and very good deserts of rhubarb and berry cream compote and a great warm cherries with pistachio ice cream dessert.
Good wine selection and beer, too.
Return? Yes.
Recommend? Yes.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Journeyman644
Los Angeles
“Repeated and multiple taste bud orgasms”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

A most pleasant surprise in a spot that is not on the typical tourist or business path. I found it while looking for a hotel near Gare Montparnasse. The chef (Cyril Lalanne) and his wife are making the most of a tiny store front on Blvd. Edgar Quinet. If this restaurant were in Los Angeles or San Francisco there would be a line a block long to get in. Aside from the creative and savorous dishes, the service is friendly and knowledgeable in both what they offer food-wise as well as in their wine suggestions. Lastly, the prices are most reasonable. I will make a point of stopping in again next time I'm in Paris.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank mondotraveler
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Fantastic Southwest French food”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

One of the best meals I have ever had in Paris, maybe in the world! This place is small, but very efficient. The staff were very friendly and the food is excellent! Every thing is fresh and prepared very well. I highly recommend this place. You will need a reservation.

• Visited March 2014