“A perfect French meal!!”

La Fontaine de Mars
Ranked #264 of 17,420 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Tour Eiffel / Invalides
Silver City, New Mexico
“A perfect French meal!!”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

After all these years eating in France we finally found the perfect meal. OK, we've had lots of memorable ones but this experience was really wonderful. Tasty food, seated at a nicely placed table, very friendly service, not too crowded, paced perfectly, only English speakers in the place,ambiance, noise level, fairly priced-all those check boxes imprtant to us were nailed spot on. As often, we began with a refreshing kir (very large one too), my wife had oeuffs muerrette (one of my favs too) as a beginning dish-oh my was it tasty-while I started with steamed leeks w/herbs. Her next course was steak frites, but think filet mignon about 2" thick and perfectly medium rare. My main course was another favorite of mine, chicken in morel sauce-nice big morels in a divine sauce with the perfect rice pilaf. Though not on the menu, we had read they occasionally served St. Marcellin cheese from the queen at Les Halles Paul Bocuse in Lyon and having just come from there, we were still craving this fromage. When we asked our wonderful server if it was available, he came as close as I can describe for a waiter in France to being impressed by mere Americans, and gave us a smile, eyebrow wag and said they did indeed have it; they served it with the wrapper underneath so you could see that indeed it came from her in Lyon. My wife next had a lovely 'floating island', merangue caramel in creme anglais while I had another first, baba rhum. This one served as a large, muffin shaped airy sponge cake, with a few pieces of mandarin orange on the plate and a bowl of chantilly. Next a bottle of rum was placed on the table, the server cut the cake in two asked if he could serve the rum, I said yes please, and he poured just the right amount on the cake so it soaked in to a perfect consistency. This was not ordinary rum either, but a filled with flavor, honey colored, liquid heaven. So good! Two expressos rounded out the meal. Almost 3 hours of bliss only cost 174 eoros including tip so we headed back to our apartment for a well earned nap! Now every Paris trip will include a meal here and I would recommend to all for an experience in how it should be to eat in France.

• Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
“Maybe the Obama family got better treatment...”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

If you are in this general neighborhood - or just about anywhere in Paris - it's a good idea to plan to reserve in advance, and plan to eat lunch no later than 2:00 PM - most restaurants close at 3:00 PM, and the waitstaff has a hard time mustering any enthusiasm for late-comers. So, here is our story...

Arrival at 2:20, no reservations, but we were tired and had high hopes. We were the only people in the place, which would have been fine, except that someone chose to clean the air-conditioning ducts during our lunch. Also, if you choose to dine late, you will be treated to the sight of the waiters dismantling and cleaning the Berkel meat slicer. This alone will make you think twice about ordering ham...We spoke French, but the table next to us did not, and they were treated shamefully. In my opinion, there is no excuse for this.

I think that if you arrive earlier, and have reservations, the treatment would be significantly better than what we found today. Our waiter was obviously tired, and we had to wait a full 30 minutes between the entree and the plat du jour - which he recommended, but which the kitchen obviously had to scramble to prepare. So, an important lack of communication, there. By contrast, the entrees were served immediately, leaving us to twiddle our thumbs.

The food was just OK - judging from the lack of seasoning, it was made in-house - but you could do just as well or better at any corner cafe, for about the same price. The chocolate mousse was abysmal. There was no wine "officially" offered by the glass, which might present a problem for some people. We were given suggestions for glasses of a few wines that were not on the menu, though, which were reasonably priced. Only bottled water was available.

Besides the "Obama-rama" attributed to this place, if you did not live or work in the neighborhood, I doubt that you would find a reason to eat here, especially in the late afternoon. I can't think of any reason that would make me return to eat here.

1 Thank pattyinparis
“A little overpriced”
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

Compared to Café Constant a few metres away, this bistro seemed overpriced to me; Castoulet was 32 euros which is quite a lot for what is essentially a dish originated from the country side (can I say peasant dish?). We ended up having the Sunday special which was just a roast chicken and a steak, both done very well but not sure if they were worth 22 and 32 Euros respectively. Service was good by Parisian standards but we had to wait ages for our bill and change.
For just over 100 Euros for 2 with starters, mains and a couple of glasses of Beaujolais and no desert I thought it wasn’t great value for a bistro even though the quality was good.

Jersey, United Kingdom
“The Bistro you had in mind”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

This place is great if you had the idea to go to a classic French bistro ! Sat out side which has heaters , had foie gras and steak bernaise all excellent . Good wine list with very good service , would highly recommend .

Sao Paulo, SP
“Good service and food”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

The place is a small bistro. The menu is ftraditional french. We had the pate terrine as appetizer. As main course gigot d agneau and a gorgeous fish. The wine lidt is fair . Prices are fair too. The service was great.