“Superb - best seafood meal ever had”
Review of La Mascotte

La Mascotte
Reserve with
La Mascotte is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #427 of 16,971 Restaurants in Paris
Price range: US$16 - US$47
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Montmartre
Description: Montmartroise restaurant brasserie with oyster bed, tasting seafood platters, shellfish, fish, shellfish. Cup "Best Pot in 1999," wine producers
“Superb - best seafood meal ever had”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Our experience with this restaurant was second to none - from the moment we arrived at the door we were treated with the upmost respect - despite me wearing shorts to dinner!

The menu was large and varied covering a variety of fish and seafood, my girlfriend went for the litre of mussels and I went for the seafood platter with mussels, oysters, clams and snails. Both meals were accompanied by a bottle of red. The presentation was great and taste was fantastic.

I'm extremely surprised to read other reviews criticizing the service - we ordered from english menus - maybe we smiled a lot! The final bill was sizeable but we both agreed for our final night in Paris on a 3 week holiday it was worth it...

Special thanks to the guy in the Prodisaldo bar up on Rue Durantin for recommending it to us...

• Visited June 2014

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
El Cerrito, California
“Looked very appealing but very disappointing”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We were recommended this place from a very nice Parisian while we were in Rome and when we arrived I immediately had the impression that we were going to love it. The room was gorgeous and the seafood in the retail store they run next door seemed to be of very good quality. However the evening turned out to be very disappointing. The waiter was downright rude and condescending right from the get-go. He knew right off that we were not French and with a prissy smirk asked if we wanted English menus. I asked that we have one each of French and English as I find it best to see for myself how descriptions and names of dishes are translated in order to get a better idea of what is being offered. He begrudgingly brought one of each and my wife and I looked through both to see what looked good. Then for some reason another waiter, or it may have been a busboy of some sort as he was definitely of a lower rank to our waiter, suddenly popped up next to me and asked me something in French in regards to the page I was reading. I had no idea what he was asking but it seemed like he wanted to take our order (!?!) so I asked him about the oysters in as best French as I could muster. He looked puzzled, excused himself, then ran over to the waiter who had first brought the menus to us. I understood enough of what I could hear to tell that the busboy was under the impression that I was demanding that he take our order immediately and told this to the waiter. The waiter got angry and walked by us with another table’s dishes and snarled rudely to me in English ‘Two minutes, Meester!’. I could tell this was not going to be good and was just about to suggest to my wife that we find another place to eat when the maitre’d came up and asked me, in French, if he could be of any help. I didn’t know enough French to be very intelligible to him but I tried to say I was in no rush I just had no idea what was going on. He then said he would take our order which we gave him. Meanwhile the original waiter was a couple of tables over waiting on a couple from England who were also a bit lacking in French and I could tell the woman was getting very upset. Once he took their order and left it seemed like the woman was ready to cry. The food turned out to be pretty good but nowhere near what they were charging for it. And with all of the aggravation and the general snottiness from the help I’d recommend to anyone who is interested in this place to go elsewhere. There are so many amazingly good meals to be had in Paris, that this place is nowhere near worth the trouble.

1 Thank Kevin M
Chapel Hill, NC
“Good, fun, authentic”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

La Mascotte is a long established Brasserie in the "Abbesses" area of Paris' Montmartre. The service is friendly and, if you speak French, very chatty. I am not French but I was raised in Paris and my American wife is totally fluent, so this probably helps. I don't know what happens if you don't speak a word of French.
This place is a brasserie. This means "good food" brought to you quickly by waiters who know what they are doing because they are professionals and have years of experience. The oysters are delightful. As a matter of fact, this is one of the 10 or so best places for oysters in Paris. And oysters in France are probably the best in the world...
We always make it a point to go there for oysters each time we are in Paris.

London, United Kingdom
“An explosion of delicious flavors”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Me and my partner went to this restaurant by recommendation of a friend, thanks to her we had a great experience, we had no clue of French language at all, but we could see that the staff members were really doing everything they could to make us feel welcome, by showing pictures of what the food looked like, using sign language, both us and the staff we managed to agree on what we wanted to eat and drink, well when the food come, the presentation was do die for and the taste was out of this world, we could not ask for more that this, it was perfection to every single detail. It is easily on my top 3 restaurants I have ever been to. By tasting the food you can see that they cooked this with love and passion, the flavors were amazing, from starter to dessert and even the coffee was delicious, I truly recommend this restaurant :) And for sure will come back next time I am in Paris. Thanks guys!

Algarve, Portugal
“Although in a very touristy, busy neighborhood, a very good experience”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Past the terrace and the bar, the place is big inside. But nicely Art Deco decorated and staff was fast, but professional and fun to deal with. Food was excellent.
We recommend this place when you are in the Moulin Rouge neighborhood. For example when you only go to the show.

Visited May 2014