“over all disappointed”

Le Pre Catelan
Ranked #143 of 17,155 Restaurants in Paris
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of the famous Bois de Boulogne, this treasure of French cuisine received 3 stars in the Michelin Guide.
London, United Kingdom
“over all disappointed”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This is a hard one to review as it was a really lovely afternoon but yet a certain sense of disappointment leaving ..
I think it is fair enough to have expectations for a 3 star restaurant ... and it just didn't meet them .. . the room itself if very very nice ... the staff were perfection .. just the right level of interest and detachment.. of all the fine dining places I have been to they were in a cut above the rest in getting it completely right so they should take a bow ..

We chose the lunch menu as we had a reservation in Chez Laimi Jean for dinner ... the lunch is 110 which is reasonable enough and was exceptionally generous .. we also went for the wine pairing bringing the lunch up to 150 and this included 3 glasses of excellent wines .. ...

breads are white or brown butter salted or unsalted ..

Choice of two dishes for each course .. i had the langoustine which was huge .. coated in a batter but i can still taste the oil it was cooked in so that is not good .. I hate to report it did have a chipper taste ...

My main was the cod which again i feel terrible reporting was pretty bland .. and a very odd side dish of cod mixed with mash .. llike baby food .. odd and tasteless .. on a good note my friend had the veal kidneys which came with the most delicious jus i have ever tasted ....

The star of the show was most definitely the cheese board which we would not have chosen if it had not been included and would have missed out ... a very good choice ... a very nice 1997 red wine to go with ....

I had the famous Le Pomme for dessert which was lovely .. my friend the paris brest .. he seemed disappointed but i did think it was light and very good ...

Cafe and petit fours to finish ... ( and plenty of them )

So overall ... it was the food that let us down ...although you will feel you have got value for your money in terms of quantity ... but the quality didn't hold up the day we were there ...
but the staff and location saved the day for us .. we had been a bit late so i thought we might be rushed but no not a bit of it .. had the most leisurely afternoon ... and with so many bistros now almost like communal seating it was such a pleasure to have space to eat and talk .

It is difficult to find so do get a taxi ... you will feel you are in country side France ... FYI the taxi back to central paris was 15 euro ..

Visited June 2014
6 Thank susanne24

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“Don't Ever Pass Up a Chance to Have Lunch in Spring”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My wife and I normally are in France in December and while this restaurant is magical at night, especially in the snow, you should never ever pass up a chance to have lunch on a perfect Spring day at Pre Catelan. A Spring lunch brings out so many additional things to love about this 3 star restaurant, which is easily the most romantic 3 star in Paris. First, you'll get the same great wine list you'll get at night, and enough time and energy to drink more of it. They have an especially deep and reasonably priced (if such a word can be uttered about the wines of Burgundy) Coche-Dury selection. Second, you won't be overwhelmed with the sheer quantity of great food you'll get at dinner. You'll get the same wonderful, customer centric service as present at dinner and you will get a sunlight drenched dining room with garden view, if not in the garden which offers a magical experience. Every detail of Pre Catelan speaks to its long held 3 star rating. It's a rating well deserved.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Markydb
Haifa, Israel
“not super duper excellent like my last visit”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I had the best restaurant experience of my life years ago when my husband J and I had a delicious and very memorable lunch at Pre Catelan. When our son got engaged here in Paris last week, while visiting us (J is working here temporarily) we thought that Pre Catelan would be the perfect place to celebrate.

The first disappointment came when our party of five was seated at a round table that could easily have accommodated 8-10 people. So much for our intimate family lunch.

I could go on and on about the meal but will try to be concise. What should have been flawless service (lunch menu for 5 with 4 wine pairings came to 728 euro) and a perfect meal, wasn't. My future daughter-in-law was given both the wrong silverware for her appetizer course and the wrong wine pairing. It took much too much time explanation to rectify this. At one point in the meal I had to wait over five minutes for my water glass to be refilled. There were three waiters standing nearby talking to one another--why didn't they notice?

The food has become skimpier. I remember getting a palate cleanser that is no longer part of the meal. Also they used to have a bread cart with a wonderful variety of breads and rolls. No longer. You get a choice of white or cereal rolls. We got two butter pats, one salty and one sweet. There should have been one for each person so that we wouldn't have had to keep passing the butter around to each other. Not so easy at such a large table. The big cheese cart has been replaced by a wheeled tray that has much less exotic and interesting cheeses. Previously there was a chocolate shop on wheels that was magnifique. The server stood poised with a plate and a pair of silver tongs and we could choose whatever we wanted. No longer. We got a few chocolates in bowls on the table at the end. The main course choices were either catfish or veal kidneys. I was unhappy with both. There should have been one slightly more conventional choice, like lamb or some kind of fowl or beef. I love rhubarb and so chose the rhubarb dessert. It was mainly choux pastry filled with whipped cream and just the hint of rhubarb. The chocolate chips in this dessert had no place here. Very disappointing.

When last here, Pre Catelan was "only" a Michelin two star restaurant. I do not think it deserves a third star, based on our experience. If anything, I'd demote it completely to no stars. The setting is still just as beautiful and the service pretty good overall but it's just not up to the Michelin 3 star standards for service and food and certainly not the outstanding experience that it once was.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank haifasharon
Rome, Italy
“Excellent!!”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

White and silver decor is gorgeous, the service is friendly, warm and efficient in the kitchen Frédéric Anton is sublime. The original flavors preserve the product's taste and magnify. Congratulations to his pastry chef for his apple blown as beautiful to look at as taste.
The framework and service level of its 3 stars.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank freed0m1
Dallas, Texas
“"not an angel.....Je suis ze divel"”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Magical dining....3 Michelin Stars and SO much more. In broken French, i asked our driver to take us "tres rapide" out of a dinner boat queue to somewhere better. He guided us through a park (Boulogne) filled with he-she prostitutes to our wide-eyed curiosity/concern, through gates and to this unexpectedly intimidating presence of a restaurant. As our driver and the matre'd conversed past my skill to keep up, I assumed our driver was arguing on our behalf and we were being turned away but instead le Monsieur escorted our under-dressed selves to the finest table in this 3 Michelin star restaurant. This was the first place that my French was better then their only "English-speaker" which proved further that we were in the right place. Not getting to prepare, head spinning, 3 star unaware, I broached by choosing no first course, le Monsieur countered by bringing all the selections. Each course, taste, and flavor exceeded its former and I finished with the desert, "le pomme," tears of joy. My wife called le Monsieur "an angel." His reply is my review title. Price? My tip could buy a Vespa. Go, be worthy, respectful and the fortunate haver of your experience.

• Visited June 2013