“Love it!”

Ranked #836 of 17,739 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Place d'Italie / Quartier Asiatique
Description: House specialties: Pho soup served with chicken or beef, spring rolls with pork or chicken, ravioli and rice pancakes ...
Reviewed 12 April 2012

When I lived in Paris I went to PHO 14 every week, the waiters just knew who I was. I always took the big bowl of PHO with chicken. Very tasty. The price for a pho is very low compared to a bowl of Pho in the Netherlands. They have the best pho I have ever eaten in my life! I maybe miss PHO 14 more than all the other things in Paris. ;)

Reviewed 6 April 2012

Tried Pho 14 on our recent trip to Paris. Getting there even at 8pm, there was still quite a line up, so we decided to give it a try. The food was tasty and fresh. However, I would not say it was anything to write home about. Interestingly, the other 3-4 Pho restaurants nearby had very little people.

Reviewed 18 March 2012

I'm Vietnamese and have had some of the best pho around the world, from San Diego, San Jose & Santa Ana, CA to New York to London to Vietnam so I've tried quite a few places. This was just mediocre. Just, the smell from the outside is great & the line's out the door at lunch time on the weekends but it's only passable when you have a big craving for pho and there's nothing else around. Unfortunately for this place, there are other places around so I'm not quite sure why the rating is so high. Perhaps it's because people don't know any better or because they think because there's a long line that it must be great?

First off, the service is poor even by Asian standards. The folks here are just unfriendly and there's no reason for that. My cousins & I asked for a table for 3 inside since it was chilly outside. We were told there was no room when we could clearly see empty tables. Perhaps they wanted to make it look more busy to have a bunch of people sitting outside? Who knows? But that should have been my first sign.

Then they bring out the fresh herbs. Ok, bean sprouts, basil, coriander thorn (ngo gai in Vietnamese), hot pepper, sliced white onions... all great. But what the hell is this? Lemons? Seriously? You're a pho place and you bring lemons to the table when I just passed a produced store with an abundance of limes for sale? Wow... at least they had hoisin sauce & siracha.

We waited quite a while for our pho. I only mention that because without fail, almost all other pho places I go to they're lightning quick serving it. There's a big pot of broth back there somewhere, I know. They don't have to heat anything up for pho if they're doing it right. It wasn't half an hour but it was a noticeable wait. Then the look of it was weird. It was kind of a murky, cloudy darker brown broth. I'm used to something lighter in color and clearer (until I start eating and putting the condiments in that's it!). When it first comes out it should not look as murky. See the picture I attached.

Then the taste. Yes, it's like pho but there's something wrong about it. Like they're missing a key ingredient and/or they have the balance of the ingredients out of whack. Something was off. It was probably about a 3-4 out of 10 for me taste wise. Just barely OK. The meats were fine. The banh pho was just OK... they used a much thicker banh pho than I'm used to and I swear it was dried and not fresh. The whole thing was just off. OK but off.

In any case, I'm glad I tried Pho 14 but I can confidently say I'm never ever going back and would not recommend anyone else try it unless they just want to compare my findings for kicks.

3  Thank phuocsandiego
Reviewed 24 January 2012

We got there at about 11.45 on a Thursday morning- we walked several blocks to get there and none of the other restaurants had anyone in them. Pho 14 was half full when we got there, and there was a line out the door when we left at 12.30! The Pho was great- 6.50 for a small bowl, 7 euros for the big bowl [cooked beef]. Huge portion- no need for anything else. Fast service, clean restaurant. Yum!

Reviewed 15 January 2012

This place is constantly busy and now I know why...the queues are long but it's worth the wait...must try this if your in Paris

2  Thank iwong_9