“Enjoyed My Stay but a cold welcome!”
Review of Hotel Luxia

Hotel Luxia
Ranked #1,591 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Barrhead, United Kingdom
“Enjoyed My Stay but a cold welcome!”
Reviewed 4 August 2012

I enjoyed my stay at Paris but not really my stay at Hotel Luxia , the staff were rude and there was only one plug in our room , great location next to the Sacre Coer and near the seine and eiffel , I loved the sight and I also had an alright room.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank 1Herman1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2012

The Hotel Luxia is based at the foot of the somewhat magical Monte Marte square and all of the Bohemien ambience it has to offer. It is accessible to a selection of Metro stations and situated down a quiet avenue, therefore, making it an excellent Parisian base.

The amenities are basic but the place is clean and the breakfast provides ample fuel for a day's sight seeing. HOWEVER, the staff here are as rude as Fifty Shades of Grey but I can't imagine they are as attractive as the novels protagonist.

Upon arrival, I attempted to have a shower to refresh and revive, but was greeted by the shock of no hot water - alas, the hot tap wasn't working. "Not the end of the world" I thought, "I'll just go down and speak to the nice man about it". Upon politely notifying him about the shower situation, I was met with a stony glare, not unlike the mythical Medusa herself and grunts that quite frankly sounded like an aggressive farm yard orgy.

He did relocate us, but not before shutting the door in my face. His hospitality didn't warm over time either.

Overall, good location, decent price, shame about the staff.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lynsey T
Monterrey, Mexico
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights

PROS
Near Sacre de Coeur, Montmartre neighborhood and metro station
Clean bathroom, clean towels
Light breakfast included (bread,butter, juice,coffee/tea)
TV (no remote)

CONS
Very dirty hotel, room very old (stained carpet, teared wallpaper, falling closet, door difficult to lock, very thin walls... you can hear everything!)
Service was pretty bad, staff not friendly at all
-Manager very rude (he went crazy when he found out we forgot to leave the key room, he was shouting unnecessary)
-Waitresses also rude, grumping and slamming coffee and bread on the table
Area is not good, you dont feel SAFE at night walking around

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I stayed in this hotel as part of a school group and have to say that the experience was awful from start to finish. The fun started from the moment we arrived, only to be "greeted" by a very unpleasant man on reception complaining that his boss was never there to oversee "things like this." Our rooms were not ready for two hours after arrival despite prior assurances that they would be. The reception itself is very cramped - too cramped - for what is a busy city hotel. There was nowhere to put our luggage and so we were told to sit it under tables in the dining area. Unfortunately, there was no room for all 35 cases to fit - yes, it's that small and yet, despite this, the man on reception started shouting at the kids when they couldn't physically get back out over the luggage that had been placed there. The same man on reception then caused more problems by insisting no-one carry their case upstairs but instead use the lift...which could only fit a maximum of two people at the one time. It was actually completely outrageous. His colleague who took over from him later that night was similarly ill-mannered and unpleasant.

In terms of the rooms, well, this aspect was a little better. They were bright and spacious, although the yellow stain on the carpet forced me to call their cleanliness into question. The bedding was itchy and uncomfortable. There was also a problem with the shower hose in one of the girls' rooms which caused us to panic, thinking we had broken hotel property. Thankfully, however, we were informed that it had indeed been broken for months and that we just needed to "go with it."

I would strongly encourage anyone thinking of bringing a group of kids here to seek alternative accommodation. Despite the spacious rooms, the service level and outright hostility we encountered were unacceptable and could potentially ruin your excursion. Please, go somewhere else that will truly appreciate your custom.

Room Tip: The corner rooms on each floor seemed to be the most spacious.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank JanetMcK
London
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Just came back from 2 night stay at this hotel and agree with some of previous reviewers. Nice staff, Clean rooms and no different from any other 2 star I have stayed at. Would take a group there again, if the need ever arises again

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank chriscooney1
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Luxia after taking 35 students on an educational visit to Paris. After reading this review page we were extremely concerned and went expecting something out of the horror film 'Hostel'!! But what we got in reality was admittedly, a basic hotel, but which was clean, had working amenities and was perfect for what we needed!

You wouldn't choose to stay here with a partner or for a long period but if you need a budget hotel and a place to rest your head then I'd highly recommend it!

The students all stayed in rooms of 3-4 beds. These were all very clean with bedding which was made up by room service before lunchtime each day! The rooms were warm (which was great as Paris was freezing!) The decor definitely has seen better days but for the price you pay you can't really expect much more and I was there to sleep, not to spend 24hrs looking at wallpaper!! I had a room to myself with a double bed and slept like a log each night!!

The bathroom was a total surprise to me based on the pics I saw on here. Mine was very clean and the shower was better than the one I have at home. The only minor issue was that it wasn't attached to the wall but it was no great hardship for me to hold it!
The towels resembled cardboard but I always bring my own with me!

All light fittings worked as well as plug sockets! There was even a TV in the room which I wasn't expecting although I didn't watch any TV!

You get an individual key for the room which you need to be careful with as some students found it difficult to lock but it's just the way the key goes in the lock - a bit of a fiddle and it's fine!

Staff were pleasant enough and gave us directions to places!

There was a perfectly good continental breakfast each morning.. as many croissants and bread rolls and cups of tea or coffee as you'd like. The breakfast staff were 2 very quiet women and again, were very pleasant even dealing with 35 very noisy, excited 16-18yr olds!!

I think you have to have a very open mind about the Luxia. It's a 2 star hotel but is clean and comfortable and the location is just amazing... one minute walk from the steps to the Sacre Coeur!

We will definitely consider staying here again on any future educational visits

Room Tip: Room 15 was a decent size with a double bed & everything seemed to work perfectly. This was on t...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank naomi-a
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Have been to the Luxia twice with college students on trips to Paris and they seemed to have a good time and no complaints.

Okay, the rooms aren't exactly luxurious but then neither is the price. The two rooms I stayed in were acceptable and comfortable for the time I spent in them, which wasn"t a lot. No sign of bugs, creepy crawlies or other unpaying guests.

The breakfast was adequate (there's a supermarket nearby if you want to buy your own), the service was fine (the owner joined myself and some male students one evening to watch a football match on the lounge TV and brought out some wine, cheese and bread...it may have had something to do with his team winning!) and the metro station is a two minute walk away.

I would suggest that anyone thinking of either staying in the hotel or the area does a tiny bit of
research first before judging the location. It offers great access and views of Sacre Couer, but the lively Montmartre and Pigalle areas are close by, but avoidable if that's not your thing. The
area has a reputation going back decades and it isn't going to change for the tourists. If it was
good enough for Toulouse Lautrec then it's good enough for me!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends