“Good food and entertaining staff” 5 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Neighbourhood: Saint-Germain-des-Pres
Tilburg, The Netherlands
“Good food and entertaining staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013

We had a nice three course dinner. The dishes were original and well prepared. Fun sampling of cheeses.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank M_NL_12

New York, NY
“Authentic, charming bistro”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012

Run by an older gentleman for years, this is an authentic moderately priced, tiny and quaint place in an otherwise upscale neighborhood. There are only a few gables, so call ahead. There's a blackboard with different items every night, all of which sound scintillating, and the ones I had certainly were. The pace is a bit slow, but that's because they cook to order and there is usually only the one server. A real touch of the true Paris.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BronxSteve
Memphis, TN
“Very homey small traditional cuisine French restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

Even though we had stayed across the street from this restaurant on a couple of visits this was our first time to try La Cambuse. I had read previous reviews that described it as everything from "homey" to "like visiting a relatives home". I think those descriptions were close. It is a very small quiant very personalized restaurant. It appears sort of dark from the outside due to limited window area but once you enter you feel as though you are welcome in the owner's home. With the murals, the posters, and the bric a brac that is behind the bar it appears this restaurant has changed little over time, which is meant as a compliment.

The owner is a rotund grandfather-type who brought a chalkboard menu over to our table for us to order from. He warmed up to us as the meal went on, but when I first said that I couldn't decide on which wine to order he rolled his eyes & shrugged, then walked away. Gruff - maybe; rude - no.

We started with an appitizer of a thin-sliced cured ham & the house terrine. Both were wonderful. We then had a beef borginione & a lightly smoked haddock that was then either baked or broiled in butter. Both excellent, especially the haddock. Our desserts were a creme brulle and a slice of a rich chocolate cake. The cake was very rich, with a chocolate gnache- type icing. The creme brulle vanilla custard was rich, and the top was broiled just enough to give it a slight crispy surface & a campfire marshmallow aroma. By the way, the wine that I took so long to choose was excellent.

There is something to be said for a small quiet restaurant with very personalized setting & service. We enjoyed it very much & will return again on our next trip.

• Visited September 2011
3 Thank vwrabbit
Baltimore, Maryland
“Grumpy, slow and my best meal in Europe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

When our family of four arrived at 7 pm (yes we are early Americans), we were greeted (if you could call his grunt a "greeting") by the gruff chef. The meal took a while even though there was no one else there. The menu was oddly placed on a chalkboard. But then the meal came. A fantastic French Onion soup. Then, my chicken entree arrived. The sauce was the best I have ever tasted. Just the right salt on this most tender chicken. My other family members were not as thrilled with their meals. I can only say that I can still recall that fabulous flavor weeks later.

4 Thank Stanonthego
ireland
“Once again, with feeling”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

Back to La Cambuse on a flying visit to Paris. I called ahead the night before to make a reservation, and was welcomed by name the next evening. Nice touch. Great food and a great welcome. One night in Paris and it is the one restaurant I go to. I am already looking forward to my next visit.

• 4 of 5 bubbles