“Bad service”

Neighbourhood: Notre Dame / Marais
Stockholm, Sweden
“Bad service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2012

Went to the place and ordered a starter and main course with a glass of red wine. The starter a carpaccio was fantastic, with a fresh baguette and full red wine. Then the lamb on a bed of vegetables and rosemary sauce. The lamb was so bad and raw that it was only possible to eat 2-3 small pieces, even the knife could not cut the meat. This was a really cheap piece of meat. So I pointed out that this was really bad.

The waitress did not even bother to make an excuse. She just said, do you still want your friends dessert? And we said yes and thought at least they were going to replace the bad main course with at least 2 desserts. But NO! When we went down to pay we still had to pay the full price even though she saw that almost all of the meat was still on the plate.

She started instead to defend her self and said that I should not have touched the meat, then she would be able to replace us. But how do you know something is bad if you don't taste it.

I told her that the meat was really bad.

Then the waitress told us -Leave and never come back again!!!

Talk about bad customer services. And don't worry we will never come back to someone that treat your customers like this.

We would have given this a higher rate if not for the incident with the meat and the waitress arrogance. Now we would like to give this restaurant 0 stars, but I guess it's not possible.

Paris have so many great restaurants so if possible try to avoid this rock bottom place.

London, United Kingdom
“A very welcoming, intimate restaurant with great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

Le Vertbois is at the end of the street our apartment was on, in the quiet old-Parisian Marais district. The owners were lovely, and very helpful in pointing us to a bar when we wanted a drink about midnight (Parisian rule - no drink without food :-( ), so we went back the next night to sample the food, and again at the end of the night for a Calvados. Delicious! We were made to feel very welcome and had a lovely chat with the owners and their friends. So good we went back the next day for lunch! I shall certainly be going back next time i'm in Paris.

• Visited June 2012
New York City, New York
“Great local spot!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

My husband and I stayed in the area by Republique, so Le Vertbois was very close to us. We came on a Friday night and while the place was not bustling, it was nice and cozy and everyone was locals. The menu is written on a chalk board, so I'm assuming it changes daily depending on the chef/what's fresh.

I started with the white and green asparagus with hollandaise. It was simple, yet very good. I had the risotto with shrimp for my entree, which was delicious! It was so flavorful, and properly cooked. My husband started with the salmon tartare salad which was light and fresh, and he finished with the veal onglet with carrot mash which he said was delicious. We finished everything off with a mango tiramisu, which was a nice end to our meal. Overall, Le Vertbois was perfect for us as the quality of food was there, as well as the service. Definitely a spot to go to to feel like a local.

• Visited May 2012
Atlanta/Toronto
“Excellent Dining Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2011

Great atmosphere in this tiny Parisian restaurant. The service was warm and consistent and the staff spoke English well. The menu du jour is written on a chalkboard and the staff explains in detail what each item is. The wine selection was good and if you order a bottle and only drink half, you're only charged for half. The food was delish - the ratatouille was the best I've ever had!
We would definitely recommend this place.

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank SamandDerek
Home counties
“The food was excellent and the staff couldn't have been more helpful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2011

Le Vertbois was just 5 minutes walk from our hotel in Rue Turbigo which was already a plus. My daughter had eaten there 2 weeks earlier and recommended the restaurant to me. I admit that I would probably not have ventured in without recommendation because it is a very small restaurant down a quiet side street but definitely well worth a visit. The menu is limited and written on a blackboard which immediately reassures you that the food will be freshly cooked and not warmed in a microwave. The prices are very reasonable at €26 for two courses or €29 for 3 courses. We were going to go for the full 3 courses but it was our first day in Paris and we'd had a very early start that morning so unfortunately only managed a starter and main. The food was subtly flavoured and well presented and tasted delicious. I especially enjoyed my main which was magret de canard, cooked to perfection, with a delicate sauce. The restaurant is very small and we ate upstairs - be warned it's a very narrow spiral staircase. The waitress was very friendly and although I speak French, since she realised we were from England she obviously wanted to practice her English. I ordered a glass of house wine and she offered a choice of two. Again it was a really good wine and served at the perfect temperature. We ate at 3 other restaurants while we were in Paris but this was by far the best. The only comment I would make is please don't go there if you're not prepared to try different foods and flavours. You won't get burger and chips!

• Visited April 2011