“Great location, great hotel but plan your breakfast time” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Paris-Canal de la Villette

Holiday Inn Express Paris-Canal de la Villette
Ranked #375 of 1,795 Hotels in Paris
Essex
“Great location, great hotel but plan your breakfast time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

I booked this hotel for a three-day excursion to France / Paris due to the proximity to the roads leading to the Channel ports, the fact that it had parking and the proximity to the Metro.

Finding the hotel and navigating the streets of this part of the French capital was pretty simple. There wasn't a huge amount of traffic and the traffic that there was actually made driving that little bit easier.

When we arrived I found the entrance to the parking easy enough and jumped out of the car to request that the gate was opened. Fortunately my lack of French ability didn't hinder things and I managed to park up before even checking-in.

Although the hotel does have parking there are only around 30 spaces or so. When we arrived at around 1pm on a Tuesday there were only 3 spaces left.

We took the elevator to Reception and then after a short wait we then started the check-in process.

The chap on Reception spoke excellent English and check-in was completed in minutes. My booking had been made for two adults and a child for a room with a double bed and sofa bed. When I explained that the party now only consisted of myself and my daughter I was immediately asked if I wanted to change the room to one with two single beds. I appreciated this display of initiative and it was sorted out without issue.

The room itself was spacious and overlooked the canal towards the university accommodation. The two beds had fresh and possibly brand new linen and the room and ensuite were both clean.

We had access to free wifi, which pleased my daughter. The speed was sufficient, however, I could only get coverage in the ensuite and up to about six foot from the window. This meant that I couldn't sit at the desk and surf the net. Not an issue for me as I had 3G coverage and my daughter had coverage from the comfort of her bed.

When I booked the Hotel I hadn't really considered the environs around it, other than how quickly I could get access out of Paris. Well I was in for a very pleasant surprise.

The Hotel is located on a canal that runs into the centre of Paris and is still navigable as I understand it. There is a bridge next to the Hotel that can be raised and lowered to let the canal boats through and we saw it lift at least once.

As this was August the Mayor of Paris had set up one of the Paris Plages here, the other one is near Notre Dame on the Seine I think. What this meant was that there were a lot of families around enjoying themselves in the imported sandy beaches, playing boule or table-top football. This gave the place a really nice atmosphere.

I'd recommend a walk around the canal basin itself. The area appears to be residential / leisure orientated and there is a cinema too. Even though this is Paris, it is very quiet and the nearest busy road is at the other end of the basin.

There are a few metro stations in easy reach, the closest being Riquet which is on the line with a direct connection to the Louvre.

Tip: On the way to the metro you will walk past a convenience store. I suggest that you buy bottled water here. I think it cost me 35cents for a 1.5l bottle, compare that to 2.80Euro for 1.5l on the Champs-Elysee.

There are a few Cafes nearby although it was disappointing that the chap on the reception when we asked in the evening wasn't able to recommend one to us even though there is a list of a few on the room's TV service.

Breakfast is served down on the same floor as reception and the room does not have a huge capacity. OK, to be fair, the room is big enough but not when everyone wants breakfast at the sometime. The Hotel guide does provide a warning on the wait times for breakfast and they are not joking. So if you don't want to wait then you do need to plan your breakfast time according to the suggestions in the guide.

There is an adequate selection of food on offer, however, for the Englishman abroad, there is no Full-English breakfast (well none that I was aware of but I didn't ask). There are plenty of fresh croissants, pain-aux-chocolat etc and a selection of cereals, yoghurts, cheese and ham. So, a continental breakfast which I guess is no surprise.

Anyway, we didn't have any issue with the breakfast, however, when the room was busy it did seem like everyone was falling over each other trying to get to the food. Maybe that's another aspect of being on the continent.

Just as Check-In had been simple, Check-Out was also simple. No issues here at all. Again the person on reception who dealt with us spoke perfect English despite the fact that I attempted to speak French.

So, I chose the Hotel due to the ease of access onto the roads into / out of Paris. The Hotel met that requirement. But I was also treated to a great location and hotel in its own right.

Would I stay here again? Most definitely. I can't think of anywhere better, more relaxing to stay in Paris.

Room Tip: Get one overlooking the Canal.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
1 Thank markfromessex
Manuel L, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Paris-Canal de la Villette, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear markfromessex,
Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions following your last stay at the Holiday inn Express Paris-Canal de la Villette.
We are delighted that you had a pleasant stay with us. We are sorry to see that you also have suffered some inconvenience during your breakfast. Please note that in each elevator there is a display showing the schedule strong influence. Each comment is important to us and knows that we take into account your comment to be able to offer the best service to our customer.
Hope we will see you again.
Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Spent 4 nights in Holiday Inn Express with my wife and 2 years old daughter. As Ambassador Status, the hotel upgraded us to the top floor rooms with beautiful view across the canal with free wifi and complimentary drinks. The room is spacious with 1 double and 1 single bed. I am impressed by the hotel commitment to contributes to the green environment. The architecture and building structure says it all.

Location was perfect for us as we want to stay in a quiet neighborhood away from the tourists and attractions. Although not centrally located, however, it is very convenient to get into the city with just a few stations away with Metro. The playground next to the hotel is just perfect for our young daughter to play in the evening.

Everything was great except the breakfast can be very crowded, so be there early. Would stay here again for my next visit.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ivan_Boey
Dear Ivan_Boey,
We would like to thank you for your comment that you left about the quality of all services!
We are looking forward to welcome you for a new visit in a not too distant future.
United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Me and my husband stayed in Holiday Inn Express for 7nights.
When we arrived, we wanted to see if we could check in early(around 12pm) so we went straight to the front desk to ask. When we were approaching, the staff acted rather weird and unprofessional. This young male staff had eye contact with me but seemed like he kept saying something to his colleague? As if, 'You do it! You deal with them!'.
So the other female staff spoke to us, advised us early check in is not available. So we waited until 2pm.
When we went back to the front desk, the same lady(I believer her name was Natalie) said, 'Unfortunately your room is not ready. You can have free drinks at the bar.' There was no sincere apologies and her attitude was very icy and rude.
We had to wait another 1hour to finally check in!
The room was big enough and clean but seemed like house keepers don't know how to make the bed properly?
Bed sheets were not fitted properly so everytime before we went to bed, we had to do it ourselves.
The nightmare of breakfast! Yes, I know you advised people to go early(7am-8am) but I am sure many people including myself want to sleep in and don't want to wake up mega early on your holiday just to have quiet breakfast?
It is absolutely chaos between 8:30am-10am. People queuing up to have coffee(there was only 1 coffee machin), we got table but no cutlery?
Food was ok. You can get bored with it if you stay more that 3days.
On the day we were checking out, 3 front desk ladied seemed like they were busy discussing about something so not interested to help us. We were invisible for about 5minutes standing there then finally a staff asked us what we want.
Thank you for finally noticing us.

One of the night staff(older male) didn't even look at us when we asked 'Could you tell me where the nearest supermarket is? To get some water and stuff?'
He just said, there is a bending machine and busy sorting out card invoices!
Since 'Hi how may I help you?' Or nice smile and even eye contact become old fashioned things?

I could've given you 1 but I gave you 3stars only because of the location as I loved the canal and this very kind staff called Carine and a male staff who helped/explained us how to use metro and things.

Will I ever go back to this hotel?
If you read my review, you would know :)

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Manuel L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Paris-Canal de la Villette, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Ozbarbie
Thank you for taking the time to write a comment concerning your last stay in our hotel. Receiving feedback is always beneficial us so that we can satisfy our guests to the maximum of our capability. Also, we would like to thank you for taking into account the positive aspects of our hotel that convey the better qualities of our services.
We would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced regarding the breakfast and the check-in time. As you are an IHG member, we wished to give you a priority standard room with the canal view. We wished to give you the best room we could and unfortunately it was not ready upon your arrival. It is for this we asked you to wait, rather than providing you with a lower standard of room. As an apology, we offered you a complimentary drink and macaroons at the bar.
Please accept our apologies once again that you did not feel sufficiently accommodated by the level of service that we strive so hard to achieve, in accordance with a three star hotel. We value the thoughts and opinions of each of our guests and we hope this incident will not deter you from giving us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Leslie
Guest Relations Service
Riemst, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed here with our 6 year old son and it was great. During Paris Plages you can find a lot of entertainment all along the canal bassin. The metro is very close (5 minutes). The only 'negative' thing I can say is that the hotel is a bit far away from all the main attractions in Paris but with the subway you're in the centre of the city in approx. 20 minutes.

The rooms were big enough and very clean but try to avoid a room at the back of the hotel. Because of a popular bar in the building,, it is very noizy and loud at night. It took us some time to fall asleep. It is a new and modern hotel and it looks amazing at night!

Very nice for a coiple of days!

Room Tip: Try to avoid a room at the back of the hotel. There is a very loud and noizy bar wich is disturbing...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Danielle C,
Thank you so much for staying with us and for your kind words. We do appreciate to read your comment and see that you enjoyed your stay.
We will be very pleased to welcome you back in the near future.
Istanbul, Turkey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Canal de la Vilette is a lovely area during the summer. Hotel is close to several metro stations. Room is clean. Staff is so friendly. Standard European breakfast. Unfortunately, the breakfast hall is small and crowded when the hotel is full... We enjoyed our stay and will come back again...

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Paris-Canal de la Villette, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Fatih G,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We certainly work very hard to ensure our guests receive the very best service we can provide each and every day. Whilst we are pleased with your positive comments with our location, accommodations and staff, we regret to know the inconvenience the breakfast situation have caused you. We are continually striving to improve the hospitality we offer and comments from our guests are always welcome.

Again, thank you for your review and we hope you do choose to give us another opportunity to make your next stay as best as it can be.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

We recently stayed for one night. The rooms are very clean, spacious and nice. The exterior of the building is unique, especially it night. The location on the canal is also nice. The hotel has good parking, although it is a bit challenging to find it the first time. It is a short walk to the Metro. The staff was very cordial, helpful and friendly. We enjoyed the breakfast very much. There are a couple of interesting bars and restaurants close by.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms on the top floor facing the canal have balconies.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear 5_PA_travelers,
The Holiday Inn Express Paris-Canal de La Villette team would like to thank you for this posting on tripadvisor. What a great pleasure to read your comment about your stay with us. Saying that our location is unique and one of the best hotel for staying in Paris means a lot to us. We would like to thank you for your comment that you left about the quality of all services.
We look forward to welcoming you soon.
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed with 2 adults and 2 kids in connecting rooms. The rooms were very spacious (by Paris standards) and we had 2 twin beds in one room for the kids and a double bed (good-sized) in the other room. Each room had its own bathroom with shower, sink and toilet. Wireless internet was fine. There was a nice view of the canal from the large windows and air-conditioning worked very well. The staff were wonderful and very helpful and kind, and helped us out greatly with making phone calls when our luggage was lost by the airlines (To the staff: Merci beaucoup). There is a complimentary breakfast each morning which included croissants, baguettes, scrambled eggs, sliced deli-type ham, sliced cheese, various beverages, cereal and milk, and applesauce/fruit sauce. There is a grocery store (Casino) just a few minutes walking which came in handy and a Monoprix nearby walking distance, too. The metro station (Riquet) was just a few minutes walk away and we felt very comfortable walking to and from the station even at night. When making the reservation, M. Daryl Cruz was very helpful and prompt in arranging for connecting rooms and responding to my various emailed questions leading up to our stay. Price of the hotel was very reasonable for Paris (even accounting for we got 2 rooms for the four of us) and for a family of four this was perfect! No noise problems during our stay. We would highly recommend this hotel for a stay in Paris!

Room Tip: connecting rooms are available
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank rtt4
Dear guest,
We truly appreciate your honest feedback about your experience at our hotel. We really appreciate that you shared your great experience about your last stay with us.
We are delighted to read that you had a nice time among us and appreciated the cleanliness of your comfortable room for a reasonable price, and our excellent location with metro station close to the hotel! Looking forward to welcoming you back soon,