“Best Way to See Giverny and Versailles in a Day”

Private Tours Paris
Ranked #1 of 14 Tours in Versailles
More attraction details
Owner description: PRIVATE TOURS PARIS was founded 9 years ago in 2005.We are a group of 15 experienced, professional, licensed guides (the only guides that are allowed by the French Ministry of Culture to guide within all the museums and official monuments in France).All our guides have their own little, special field of expertise (HISTORY former history teachers, ART (Ecole du Louvre), ARCHITECTURE, SOCIOLOGY (specialized in children tours) etc.Languages spoken: english, german, spanish, italian, dutch, portuguese and more…Our experience allows us to adapt to the wishes and needs of our clients to make them ours.The guides are also the drivers. They pick you up at your hotel or apartment and bring you back there again at the end of the tour. We use a fleet of luxurious and recent, air-conditioned minivans (Mercedes Benz).All our efforts serve one single purpose: to make our clients happy
Orange, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Best Way to See Giverny and Versailles in a Day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

My family (group of six) had only one extra day in Paris on our itinerary and yet we wanted to see both Versailles and Monet's Giverny. After doing some research into options we decided that a private tour guide was really the only option to make it work, and after looking into pricing and reviews, we picked Private Tours Paris as they offered exactly what we needed. It was on the pricier side but ended up being totally worth it. I think it worked out to be about 150 euro per person, but that included all the tickets to museums throughout the day and private transportation, private guide, etc. If you can swing it financially, this is the way to see these sites!

Our guide was Christian and he was awesome. He picked us up in an amazing Mercedes van at 8am from our hotel in Paris and took us to Versailles, where he led us on a guided tour of the palace and gardens. He knew his stuff and had great historical background to offer throughout the palace.

For lunch he drove us to Moulin de Fourges near Giverny, where he'd made a reservation for us. We had a great two course lunch and it was about as charming and picturesque a place as I can imagine. After lunch Christian drove us the short distance to Giverny, where we saw the beautiful gardens and home of Claude Monet. After a few hours there he took us back to Paris and we were back in our hotel by around 6pm.

Christian was a delight and took great care of us. All the tickets, reservations, details, etc were taken care of and we didn't have to worry about a thing, other than being ready in the morning when he picked us up. If you're looking for a great private tour of some of the beautiful sites just outside Paris, I highly recommend booking with Private Tours Paris.

2 Thank Brett M

New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“10 Days in Paris...Magnifique!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

We just returned from a 10 day trip to Paris and our experience with Private Tours was exceptional. We had a group of nine family members ranging from ages 10 to 74 and our guides were always very accommodating to our mobility and interest levels. Customer service, tours, comfort level... everything was done to perfection from start to finish!

In the planning stages, done 98% thru email, our many questions were answered thoroughly. We did not have a scheduled tour every day, but even for the off days, we were given advice on best times to go to certain sites, websites on where to pre-order tickets, etc. All of our tours were excellent. We did 8 hour Paris tour, Night Illuminations cruise (a must!!!), day trips to Versailles, Giverny, and Bruges (all completely worth the trip!) and 4 hours in the Louvre (which was perfect amount of time as the crowds were like white-water rafting).

Versailles crowd was a crush but our tickets were pre-arranged so we didn't have to wait in the lines! And we were there when the music was playing and the fountains were going, which was a nice way to see the gardens. Everyone loved Bruges despite the 3 hour drive out there. We got to see the countryside, another country, and the city was so typically European, it was worth it! Even the rest stop was a hit, fresh pastry and coffee will always forgive an early rising time and long drive. Giverny was beautiful, but again crowded with tour groups. Best part was walking through the village after walking thru the gardens & house, other tours didn't go there! Louvre was cra-azy crowded, but again pre-arranged tickets and a guide who knew her way around the layout and who knew her art history made all the difference. Night Illuminations tour was definitely a highlight - a boat ride on the Seine, then a drive through the city - how could you not??? See what makes it the City of Lights!!!

We had Catherine as a tour guide most of the days - excellent. She knew her history, her english was perfect, she was so great! and she was always looking out for all of us, especially with my parents' mobility issues. We had Sim on only two days but he was great too. Very funny and entertaining. They both had lunch with us during the daylong tours and it was nice to have conversation and just enjoy their company. However I don't want to forget Laurent and Beatrice, our husband-wife chauffeur team. Since we were such a big group, we needed a mini-bus. They drove us to and from the airport, they drove us on all of our tours, they spoke very little English, but they were so friendly and accommodating...and the vehicle was always clean and comfortable. One glich was that upon arrival, Laurent was not given the correct address of where we were staying. Even though he didn't speak English and I was just working with my 20-years-removed high school French, we figured it out quickly (thanks to having copies of emails) and all was taken care of.

Worth every penny. Absolument!

2 Thank Theresa P
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Best tour guide, so worth it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

We took the Versailles-Giverny tour as well as the Paris tour. Pierre Yves was a great guide! We saw so much even though we were pressed for time. He was very knowledgable about the arts and French history. On top of that he was very friendly and accommodated our own pace. We went with older people and a young child and he was able to connect with both age groups. The tour was so worth it! Been to paris a long time ago and never remembered it being this busy. Pierre made the hordes of tourists as well as the summer heat more tolerable! So worth it!!!! Thanks Pierre! We will do it again!

Wellington, New Zealand
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Full Day Paris Discovery Tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

We only had a short 5 day stay in Paris so I researched Tours on TA and came across Paris Discovery Tours. Communication via email with Lucia was fantastic and prompt and she answered all my queries with great professionalism. We decided to do the 8 hour Paris Discovery Tour which included the Louvre and all the main sights in Paris we wanted to see as a family. Upon planning stage, PTP were quite flexible as to which sights we wanted to spend more time at and they purchased entry tickets for us, for the Arc de Triomphe + Opera Garnier. These cost extra. Helene our tour guide was prompt at picking us up and arranged with the hotel to give us an umbrella (it rained every day we were in Paris!!). Once we were on the road, the tour went by very quickly. We had a great time with Helene, she was very patient at explaining things to us and answering our questions. She was very kind, genuine, knowledgeable and engaged with our 10 and 15 year old children. She was also very helpful with advice and nothing was too much trouble for her. The only wee thing (which is why I rated 4 instead of 5) was at the booking stage... once I had confirmed the tour, I paid the deposit via paypal 2 months before our trip. I assumed all would be well as they told me they will look out for my deposit. One week out before our tour, I emailed PTP to check on our pick up time. PTP came back to me promptly and advised they had not received my deposit so no tour had been booked. Horrified, I emailed them back immediately and gave them my payment details. They came back promptly and said they found it and everything was quickly sorted and booked in. So make sure you receive an email confirmation from them advising your booking is confirmed! I do think the tour was expensive, but at the end of the day, we were paying for the convenience of being driven around and for the tour guide's expertise.

1 Thank GillY389
Mill Valley, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Advice to make the most of your day . . .”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

I so wanted this to be wonderful, but at the end of the day felt like we missed out on the best of Versailles and honestly didn't feel like it was worth the hefty price tag. I'm writing this review not to overly criticize, but in the hope that others learn from our experience. I would consider using this service again, but would do it differently next time.

Initially, we were going to take the train and spend the whole day at Versailles. At the last minute, I thought a focused, guided tour for half a day would be fun, and Private Tours Paris was able to accommodate us. I assumed that given our time, our guide would make sure we could see a sampling of all the Palace of Versailles has to offer: the chateau, gardens, and ESPECIALLY Marie Antoinette's' estate. Instead, we spent most of our time in the chateau itself where we did get an extensive history lesson. My husband and I found this interesting, but the guide (a nice man) made no real effort to engage our teen daughters. After the chateau, he let us roam the gardens on our own while he got the car, and then that was it. Said we had no time for the rest (though he did drive by and tell us about it).

It sounds silly, but I'm a little heartbroken that we came all this way and didn't see the Petit Trianon, Hamlet, Queens Gardens, etc. Although this was only a four hour tour, I would have happily spent less time in each area if it meant I could see a little bit of everything. So, my advice to others: be really specific with your guide about what you want included in your day, particularly if you are doing an abbreviated tour.

Lastly, like I said, our guide was a nice man. Our daughter left her sunglasses in his van and he made the effort to make sure they were returned to her the next day.

Visited June 2014