“Hotel map on Tripadvisor is in wrong town”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of A l'Hotel des Roys

A l'Hotel des Roys
Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in Versailles
DC area
“Hotel map on Tripadvisor is in wrong town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

Please someone who is empowered, change the map for this hotel. It is currently showing to be in a town about 30 miles to the South East of Versailles.
Everyone has said it all- great value, great staff.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
BrunoROSE, Propriétaire at A l'Hotel des Roys, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for your review and for noticing this geographical mistake. Thanks to you we've asked Tripadvisor to rectify it. Bruno ROSÉ

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Turkish first
Cotswolds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

We selected this hotel purely on its location as we were driving from the UK and wanted a full day at the Palace and hassle free journey into Paris on the train, preferring to spend the money saved on the accommodation on dining out in local restaurants . On that front it is a perfect choice and with parking on the street at reasonable cost close by it fits the bill. It is rated 2 stars and personally I think that is about right, our room although perfectly clean was 'snug' and not somewhere you would want to return to and relax in, but there was a sitting area downstairs with free access to the internet. The en-suite shower room was shoehorned in, but served its practical purpose OK. The people who manned the front desk were always friendly and helpful. I can see why it is rated number 1 in the tripadvisor ratings for its location, but if you really want a grand hotel to match the the style of the palace look elsewhere

4 Thank CotswoldsHappyDiver
BrunoROSE, Propriétaire at A l'Hotel des Roys, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Simple maybe but with all the warmth of the conviviality and a good value for money... Happy New Year! Bruno ROSÉ.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed in Versailles this past weekend, and booked this hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews. Like most of the other reviewers here, we found this hotel to be a great deal. The staff was friendly and the room was comfortable and suited us just fine. Our room was always made up every morning with fresh linens, which I definitely noticed and appreciated. Also, the water in the bathroom got hot very quickly, almost instantly, which made me a happy camper since that is often not the case in Europe. The location is impossible to ignore, because it is fabulous: walking distance to some great food options, the RER line C heading into Paris, and, of course, to the Château de Versailles. My boyfriend and I loved being able to get around so easily, as we love meandering on our vacations and exploring the cities we are staying in.

I was very satisfied with our stay here, and I would recommend this hotel as a great value.

3 Thank tfrey91
You made the right choice and your remarks on the quality of our service, even the non-obvious ones like the immediate hot water, prove that our efforts to welcome you in the best conditions are not vain. Happy New Year! Bruno ROSÉ.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed here a week before Christmas on a business trip to Versailles. I arrived late to a very friendly greeting from the Night Porter. He showed me to my room and then pointed me in the direction of a lovely place to eat that served late. When I came back I was again greeting with a cheery welcome. Nothing was too much trouble. The rooms are well appointed with flat screen tv's and refurbished bathrooms. I recommend this to business or leisure travels looking for a nice hotel in the centre of Versailles just 5 mins walk from the railway station.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
BrunoROSE, Propriétaire at A l'Hotel des Roys, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thank you to highlight the quality of our welcoming, even late at night and thank you for your compliments on the decorations. We are indeed very close to the palace and the train stations, wich is very useful for the tourist coming to visit Versailles. Bon voyage and hope to welcome you again very soon! Bruno ROSÉ.
Brighton
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

This is the first time I have felt misled by trip advisor. I am not a five star hotel sort of person and do not expect perfection and I find that trip advisor recommendations are true. It is often the case, in France, that simpler hotels offer a warmer welcome. However, on this occasion I find myself wondering whether the other reviewers are talking about the same hotel and staff. We had a small, poorly decorated room with a bedsit feel. The bed was small and uncomfortable ( and I am not fussy about beds). The bathroom was tiny, poorly-ventilated with mould growing. The only staff we saw were the men who sat at reception. We saw three over the time we were there. They always sat alone and did nothing but give us our key. On one occasion I asked for some hot water so that I could make myself a tea in my room (there are no facilities in the room). The young man at the desk audibly huffed because he had to get up from his chair for two minutes to fetch it from the next room. He didn't bring me a cup and complained in French when I asked for one and he had to go back next door to get it. (We are talking mere steps here- it was not a big ask). I did not feel they were providing a service. We didn't try the breakfast because the atmosphere was so unfriendly we preferred to frequent a local cafe. Yes, it is close to the Palace, but so are plenty of other hotels. I would choose another one if I returned to Versailles. Incidentally, I stayed in Paris after for the same price a night and had a totally different experience. Don't sink this low for good value. Read my other reviews-I don't complain often and generally review well

2 Thank InchWorm71
Like you, I am very wondering if you're really talking about our hotel. The decoration is, indeed, a matter of taste but every bed is superior quality and none of them is older than 3 years. All of our clients speak highly of our welcoming that is why I don't understand that you've had a bad experience with 3 different persons. Rest assured that we do our best to welcome our clients in the most agreable way possible and that we are really sorry for your feelings about your stay in our hotel. We hope to see you again in our hotel in order to give you satisfaction in our way to welcome our clients. Best regards. Bruno ROSÉ.
at home
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

We've been to Paris a few times in the past & this time we only made a day trip in, so chose to stay at Versailles near the RER station. If we ever return, this is where we will stay again…it's clean, cozy, a large room for 4, breakfast was very good (French breakfast..don't go expecting fried eggs & bacon!), it was clean, the bathroom was modern & immaculate. The price was good…you can see Versailles down the street & it's a very short walk to the RER line that takes you near all the major stops in Paris! So why would you ever pay double to stay in something grungy in Paris? The front desk was very informative about routes in when the tractor strike was going on…and willing to let you have breakfast without having stayed the previous night! Very helpful! (and spoke perfect English!)

Rooms quiet from street noise, but not from neighbor noise…the top floor would at least eliminate noise from above.

Room Tip: A lot of noise from neighbors…so try to get the top floor & a room with just 1 neighbor at the m...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank LookingForFamilyFun
BrunoROSE, Propriétaire at A l'Hotel des Roys, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Hello,
You made the right choice! Indeed, sleep in Versailles and go to visit Paris is the right way to have a quiet stay, reasonnable prices and enjoy an emblematic place, all at once. Hope to welcome you again very soon. Best regards. Bruno ROSÉ.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

We stayed at A l'Hotel Des Roys for one night during our visit to Versailles to see the palace. The room was pleasant, clean, had reliable wifi and young man who greeted us at the front desk when we checked in was extremely friendly and helpful, even though we speak little to no French. He helped us to understand the complicated ticket machine for street side parking, provided a map and lots of helpful recommendations. The location is really good for visiting the castle, only a 7-8 minute walk. The only downsides were that the bathroom was quite small compared to the room size and the walls are very thin. We could hear the conversation of the couple staying next to us . Also take note if you are driving that there isn't any where to pull up and drop of your bags, we had to block the road for a bit while we jumped out and then circled the street for parking. Overall great value for money and would certainly recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
BrunoROSE, Propriétaire at A l'Hotel des Roys, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
The welcoming, the advising, the cleanliness and the room features, everything is here for the traveler's pleasure! Best regards, Bruno ROSÉ