“Beautiful hotel, but very expensive food”

Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Versailles
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed one night at this hotel when visiting Versailles. It is very well located and I found the staff to be very helpful (friendly, good suggestions, etc). The room was spacious, especially the bathroom. The only negative for us was the expesive food - no choice for a quick or small lunch.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Grégoire S, General Manager at Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for your nice comments.
We are pleased to see that all our team was friendly and helpul. On the other hand we regret your comment about food because you can be served a quick or small lunch in our Gallery Bar and we are sorry that you did not take advantage.
Looking forward to welcoming you back.

There are newer reviews for Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed at the hotel for two nights in mid-July 2014 as part of a business trip. I arrived very late the first night, so literally checked in (very friendly Front Desk) and went to bed. Fortunately, this is a French hotel where the air conditioning actually works effectively and when you adjust the temperature it does make a difference.

Pricey (30 Euros) but good selection for breakfast - very friendly and helpful staff. I met with a client for some drinks in La Terrasse before heading out for dinner - I showed my Client to the Terrasse at 7pm before heading to freshen up after my walk around the Versailles Gardens. My Client was given a menu on entering. I entered and sat down a few minutes later and was eventually given a menu 15 minutes later. By 7:25pm no one had come to take an order from us, so we decided to leave and head for dinner at a local restaurant. The outdoor terrace wasn't particularly busy - people at 5/6 tables with 2-3 staff working the area.
I spoke with the Front Desk on the way out and let them know that I had given up after waiting around 20/25 minutes to get served in the outdoor terrace. They apologised profusely and offered to order my drinks for me - I declined as I had a dinner reservation.

On arriving back at the hotel, I had a card from the Food & Beverage Manager apologising for their lack of service. The next morning I went for a run around the Versailles Gardens, made use of the gym and again was met by great staff. I decided to try the outdoor terrace again one more time and have lunch before heading to the airport. Two waiters were serving in the terrace area, a few tables were taken, waiters were delivering bread baskets and food orders. I walked in with my small suitcase - so clearly visible as I walked past both waiters at the doorway. They had seen me looking at the menu before entering....so you would think they would have paid some attention. I sat down and waited 10+ minutes for someone to bring me to welcome me/bring me a menu/take my order........Nothing! Again, I was completely ignored by the staff. Others were clearly getting served, there was one other dark skinned lady waving frantically at the staff to get some attention also. Perhaps there is an issue here with the staff in the terrace?

As I checked out, I asked to speak with the F&B Manager - the one that had left me the nice card the night before. He promptly came to the Front Desk and I let him know what had happened - he assumed I was talking about the incident the evening before and reassured me that he had spoken with his staff earlier that morning and that they were very clear on the level of service expected. He was quite surprised when I told him it had just happened again - despite his talk with the staff just a few hours earlier.

I can only assume that the staff in La Terrasse are completely incompetent or perhaps you only get served if you don't have a tan! There seems to be no concept of an Order of Service i.e. what you do when a customer walks in. I can forgive this happening once, but to happen twice in one stay is appalling.

Given that this is the very top end of the Hilton Hotels, I must say that I have actually had much better service at their Hampton Inns and Homewood Suites - perhaps that is because they are usually in the US. Not what I would have expected at a Waldorf-Astoria Hotel - it should have impeccable service.

To be completely accurate the breakfast, the gym/spa, the Concierge and Front Desk teams were all excellent, so absolutely no complaints against them.

A small gripe is that they still seem to be living in the past with their outrageous fees for WiFi access in the rooms. I can't remember the last time a hotel wanted me to pay 25+ Euros for WiFi access. This is fast becoming a basic service provided by a hotel - so Waldorf-Astoria need to review this and start including at least as part of their Corporate Rates for Business travellers.

During my stay there were a lot of families - school holidays - and I had to complain about the loud music and kids screaming from the room across the corridor at Midnight. The Front Desk dealt with it swiftly and sent someone to speak with the guest in the other room.

As a follow up I did receive a very apologetic letter from the General Manager of the hotel and I also spoke with him on the phone. He assures me that there is no discrimination in the hotel and that they employ a very diverse team. He has offered to upgrade me next time I stay at the hotel. However, that assumes that I am actually willing to spend money with them again.

Again, it's a beautiful hotel, nice gardens (one mosquito bite at dusk - perhaps they need to spray?), fantastic location next to the Queen's Gate in to Versailles. Handy to have a local map for walking/running and access right outside the hotel entrance. I'm just very wary about the Service in the outdoor terrace - a shame as it's a lovely place to sit on a warm, Summer evening.

Room Tip: I was in the new building - very nice rooms - 3rd floor. 2nd floor is likely nicer as they have full...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank tahirs
Grégoire S, General Manager at Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2015

Dear Sir,

Thank you for staying with us in Summer last year and thank you for taking the time to give so many details on your visit to our hotel.
I sincerely regret the service you received on the outdoor terrace and I apologize once again for the iinconveniences you suffered. I am very sorry because on the whole you enjoyed the property and most of our staff. I hope that you will let us another chance to prove our merits coming bac to the Trianon Palace, be assured that we will do our best to make you forget this incident;

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We are scheduled to be in Trianon Palace hotel next week, and as I've prepared, many questions have arisen. With a few quick emails to the Concierge desk, I have had my questions answered, received ideas on other options and learned so much about the town of Versailles.

Special thanks to the Concierge team - you have been an invaluable help, even before we have arrived.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Madam,

Thank you for choosing our hotel to stay in Versailles, we are looking forward to welcome you for a memorable stay at Trianon Palace. I am pleased to read that our Concierge team has already be very helpful giving you a lot of information preparing your stay.
Staying at your disposal.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We decided to stay at the Trianon Palace as part of our visit to Versailles. We had a very nice rate for a Waldorf Astoria that included drinks at the bar, breakfast (or 10 Euro pp off dinner) and internet. As we needed 2 rooms and one with twin beds we had to stay in the adjacent property (at least that is what they told me). I wish they had rooms with twin beds in the main building.

The rooms themselves were nice, large, and clean. We did not experience the severe mosquito problem others seemed to have. There was one mosquito in the kid's room but they managed to kill it.

We had drinks before dinner then ate at Le Veranda. Dinner and the service were very good.

The Trianon is adjacent to the Palace of Versailles. Alain, the concierge was very helpful in providing directions. Later during our stay, he also printed out some document for me.

Overall our stay was very enjoyable. I would recommend staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the main building
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Grégoire S, General Manager at Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Guest,
First of all I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel to stay in Versailles and to have taken the write a comment, we appreciate the feedback of our guests, it helps us to improve the quality of service we offer.
We are pleased to see that you enjoyed staying at Trianon Palace and that you found our concierge Alain helpful.
We do hope that we will have the pleasure of serving you in thenear future.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Very good hotel, a great place with a lot of personnel and very good restaurants.
Just one thing,... when we go to the room, a big smell of cold cigarette ! not very fun at all :( another thing... the price of the minibar (7€ for a coke 33cl :(( )

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
First of all I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel to stay in Versailles.
I am really sorry that your stay has not been perfect and I regret the inconvenience you suffered, please accept our apologies.
I do hope that you will let us another chance to prove our merits coming back to our property.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

This hotel was GREAT! It was elegant, beautiful and definitely gave you the feel as if you were royalty. Every staff member that was encountered was there to help you and for the most part spoke a good amount of english which was nice for us since we speak very little French. The bellman provided water bottles for us to take when we went walking through the gardens, there was a delicious pear and apple cocktail waiting for you upon arrival and it was just an amazing experience. Definitely check out the pool area, it was great and very relaxing! Was going to eat at theGordon Ramsey Restaurant until we saw the price of the plates (100+ Euros) so we decided to skip that one out. Not saying that the quality of the experience would not be worth it but at the time we weren't looking to drop that kind of money on our first night meal in Europe. Also, the wifi is free only in the public places of the hotel, you have to pay for it in your room...again, nothing major but just a heads up. Definitely a wonderful place to stay though and I would recommend it to any visitor coming to Versailles!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Dear Guest,
I am really pleased that you had a wonderful experience staying with us and that you appreciated the service we offered you. I shared your comments with all our teams because it is a real reward for all of us. I thank you for recommending our hotel and do hope that you will have the chance to visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

It was a beautiful hotel. However the paint on our balcony was 1/2 chipped off and a little run down for the prices they charged, and they wanted us to pay 25 Euro a night for the internet. We stayed at 8 other nice hotels in Europe and never had to pay for the internet. The Concierge was very helpful and the wait staff were friendly.

Room Tip: Great location but the hotel needs some renovations and upkeep done.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
I regret that you have been a little disappointed because of the painting of the balcony, we undertake regularly maintenance works in the hotel and took good notice of that.
Hoping you will not stay with this memory in mind and that you willvisit us again.
Sincerely