“Amazing location but disappointing service and price”

Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Versailles
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We went for a walk with my mother in the park and decided to have lunch at the Trianon Palace and eat outside on the terrace to enjoy the beautiful view.
1. TERRACE - We could not get served outside as the terrace was not opened. In any case, the service did everything possible to remove this idea from our minds. The room was very hot and the windows not opened, despite being in the middle of July.
2. FOOD/PRICE - The lunch was good. Good, not better… despite the 60 euros paid for a starter+main or main+dessert. No originality, too much salt and tepid. I am still wondering where the "guimauve" of my dessert was? The service really show us their disapproval of the fact that we wanted to share the starter & dessert…
3. SERVICE - What a service ! The head waiter, a man, kept "making jokes", making fun of us once he left our table to make his colleagues laugh, leaving us feel uncomfortable and judged. When we left, he even dared telling us to come back next time "with a smile". How disrespectful!

As a conclusion, we expected much more from a 4 star hotel in terms of flexibility, welcome and respect of clients.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank thegiraffe
Grégoire S, General Manager at Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for coming with your mother in our property.
I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you mentioned and above all if our staff in our restaurant was disrespectfull, it absolutely does not match with the behavior our teams are used to have and I immediately take the necessary steps to correct this issue.
I regret very much the very disappointing service which has offered to you and which has not been up to our standards, once again please accept our apologies.
I would not like you remained on this bad memory and I hope that you will give us another chance to serve you,,be sure that we will do our best to redeem ourselves.

There are newer reviews for Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel

Reviewed 23 July 2014

The Trianon experience was very elegant. Beautiful grounds and location, but a bit out of the way. A car would almost be necessary for the walk into the city is challenging especially for older people. Taxis are available after a call and sometimes are expensive. All the amenities within the hotel are excellent.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
Grégoire S, General Manager at Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing our hotel to stay in Versailles and thank you for your nice comments regarding our property.
We do hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed at the Trianon Palace as we visited the Chateau de Versailles, which is right next to the hotel. Staff welcomes us with a genuine smile. The hotel has very beautiful and classic decor. The view from room is nice. Clean room, spacious in the Europe standard, comfortable bed. Free on-site parking. The garden on the ground is also beautiful, feel so peaceful when we had a walk there in the morning. Just love it!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 3pig-moto

Dear Guests,

Thank you for choosing our hotel to stay in Versailles.
I am really pleased that you had a perfect stay and that you loved our property and appreciated our staff.
Hoping to have the pleasure of yur next visit in the near future.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Not at all like my favourite Waldorf @ Wailea. The hotel is lovely - as you would expect in that price range. Very disappointed by the reception staff who basically ignored us while doing something behind the desk - when i spoke they told me to wait. We arrived directly from an overnight flight into CDG and were early as a result - one room was available of the 3 we reserved. The reception staff said they would contact us as soon as the other rooms were ready - they did not - I had to check back each time to find that the other rooms were now available. At every encounter they were arrogant. As a late afternoon snack we ate at The Gordon Ramsay restaurant - I'm such a fan of him as a chef, but it was the most expensive and the very worst club sandwich you could imagine - horribly bland and fell apart at each bite. I will say though that the other restaurant gave our adult children croissants and coffee on a lovely table setting in the elegant hallway when they had only asked for a coffee to go - which was very kind. The rooms were very nice as you would expect and the location was very handy for the Palais Versailles.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jo P

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying in our hotel.
I am sincerely sorry that you did not spend a nice stay with us and I apologize for the lack of service you received from our Front Office and if the people seemed to be arrogant, this does not match with the quality of service we are used to offer and I immediately spoke to the concerned people. Regarding the club sandwich you probably ate in our Gallery Bar because we did not serve it in our gastronomic restaurant Gordon Ramsay, I apologize if you did not like it and spoke to our F&B Manager in order to check with our Chef.
Hoping that you will another chance to redeem ourselves coming back to our property.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I just returned from Paris last week where I had the most pleasurable opportunity to spend time at the Trianon Palace Waldorf Astoria, the restored summer residence of Marie Antoinette, queen during the French Revolution. This grand, imposing residence leaves one awestruck as you approach the entry. The service is phenomenal and staff greet you and make you feel like royalty. The registration process is done most professionally and you are personally escorted to the lift or elevator to your room by the person registering you .

Once you are in you sumptuous suite, you have a view of the patio and the animals grazing just beyond the patio. The room is well appointed with complimentary bathrobes and slippers to be used during your day. A complimentary champagne cocktail served in the restaurant/ bar area was given to us just for deciding to stay at this hotel.

The palatial ambience could be felt as you dined in the magnificent dining salon for breakfast and dinner. The elaborate offerings for the breakfast buffet were spectacular. The concierge service is the best of the best. Marcello and Christine were extremely helpful during our stay. I highly recommend this luxury getaway to anyone going to Paris who wishes to be near the Hall of Mirrors which is adjacent to the hotel and especially if you want to be pampered like royalty.

Room Tip: Get a room that overlooks the patio and gardens. We were in Rm 120 with easy elevator access to the...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank DCHill_12
Grégoire S, General Manager at Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your very nice comments which we have had great pleasure to read. We are extremely proud that everythig was perfect : the phenomenal service, the professional team, the sumptous well appointed room and dinner and spectacular breakfast.
We are sincerely proud that we made you feel like royal and that you recommended the Trianon Palace because it means that our aim is achieved.
Looking forward the pleasure of your next visit.
SIncerely,

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed one night at this hotel when visiting Versailles. It is very well located and I found the staff to be very helpful (friendly, good suggestions, etc). The room was spacious, especially the bathroom. The only negative for us was the expesive food - no choice for a quick or small lunch.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for your nice comments.
We are pleased to see that all our team was friendly and helpul. On the other hand we regret your comment about food because you can be served a quick or small lunch in our Gallery Bar and we are sorry that you did not take advantage.
Looking forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed at the hotel for two nights in mid-July 2014 as part of a business trip. I arrived very late the first night, so literally checked in (very friendly Front Desk) and went to bed. Fortunately, this is a French hotel where the air conditioning actually works effectively and when you adjust the temperature it does make a difference.

Pricey (30 Euros) but good selection for breakfast - very friendly and helpful staff. I met with a client for some drinks in La Terrasse before heading out for dinner - I showed my Client to the Terrasse at 7pm before heading to freshen up after my walk around the Versailles Gardens. My Client was given a menu on entering. I entered and sat down a few minutes later and was eventually given a menu 15 minutes later. By 7:25pm no one had come to take an order from us, so we decided to leave and head for dinner at a local restaurant. The outdoor terrace wasn't particularly busy - people at 5/6 tables with 2-3 staff working the area.
I spoke with the Front Desk on the way out and let them know that I had given up after waiting around 20/25 minutes to get served in the outdoor terrace. They apologised profusely and offered to order my drinks for me - I declined as I had a dinner reservation.

On arriving back at the hotel, I had a card from the Food & Beverage Manager apologising for their lack of service. The next morning I went for a run around the Versailles Gardens, made use of the gym and again was met by great staff. I decided to try the outdoor terrace again one more time and have lunch before heading to the airport. Two waiters were serving in the terrace area, a few tables were taken, waiters were delivering bread baskets and food orders. I walked in with my small suitcase - so clearly visible as I walked past both waiters at the doorway. They had seen me looking at the menu before entering....so you would think they would have paid some attention. I sat down and waited 10+ minutes for someone to bring me to welcome me/bring me a menu/take my order........Nothing! Again, I was completely ignored by the staff. Others were clearly getting served, there was one other dark skinned lady waving frantically at the staff to get some attention also. Perhaps there is an issue here with the staff in the terrace?

As I checked out, I asked to speak with the F&B Manager - the one that had left me the nice card the night before. He promptly came to the Front Desk and I let him know what had happened - he assumed I was talking about the incident the evening before and reassured me that he had spoken with his staff earlier that morning and that they were very clear on the level of service expected. He was quite surprised when I told him it had just happened again - despite his talk with the staff just a few hours earlier.

I can only assume that the staff in La Terrasse are completely incompetent or perhaps you only get served if you don't have a tan! There seems to be no concept of an Order of Service i.e. what you do when a customer walks in. I can forgive this happening once, but to happen twice in one stay is appalling.

Given that this is the very top end of the Hilton Hotels, I must say that I have actually had much better service at their Hampton Inns and Homewood Suites - perhaps that is because they are usually in the US. Not what I would have expected at a Waldorf-Astoria Hotel - it should have impeccable service.

To be completely accurate the breakfast, the gym/spa, the Concierge and Front Desk teams were all excellent, so absolutely no complaints against them.

A small gripe is that they still seem to be living in the past with their outrageous fees for WiFi access in the rooms. I can't remember the last time a hotel wanted me to pay 25+ Euros for WiFi access. This is fast becoming a basic service provided by a hotel - so Waldorf-Astoria need to review this and start including at least as part of their Corporate Rates for Business travellers.

During my stay there were a lot of families - school holidays - and I had to complain about the loud music and kids screaming from the room across the corridor at Midnight. The Front Desk dealt with it swiftly and sent someone to speak with the guest in the other room.

As a follow up I did receive a very apologetic letter from the General Manager of the hotel and I also spoke with him on the phone. He assures me that there is no discrimination in the hotel and that they employ a very diverse team. He has offered to upgrade me next time I stay at the hotel. However, that assumes that I am actually willing to spend money with them again.

Again, it's a beautiful hotel, nice gardens (one mosquito bite at dusk - perhaps they need to spray?), fantastic location next to the Queen's Gate in to Versailles. Handy to have a local map for walking/running and access right outside the hotel entrance. I'm just very wary about the Service in the outdoor terrace - a shame as it's a lovely place to sit on a warm, Summer evening.

Room Tip: I was in the new building - very nice rooms - 3rd floor. 2nd floor is likely nicer as they have full...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank tahirs
Grégoire S, General Manager at Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2015

Dear Sir,

Thank you for staying with us in Summer last year and thank you for taking the time to give so many details on your visit to our hotel.
I sincerely regret the service you received on the outdoor terrace and I apologize once again for the iinconveniences you suffered. I am very sorry because on the whole you enjoyed the property and most of our staff. I hope that you will let us another chance to prove our merits coming bac to the Trianon Palace, be assured that we will do our best to make you forget this incident;