“Excellent 4 star, great service, excellent staff but it will struggle top reach the fifth star!!!”

Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Versailles
Reviewed 15 November 2010

What a super surrounding, next to the park, this is a beautiful building (I am talking about the main building here not the new "annexes" next door).
The staff is very polite, discreet and efficient, the front desk is good but small. the Lobby is very "fashion": with some green and grey leather sofas. The concierge is friendly is knowledgeable. So far so good.
As a Gold Hilton member I had the room upgrade, hence the feedback about a room in the main building on the 4th floor (room with french windows).
The room are spacious, well decorated and the bed is excellent. The bathroom is very big with Bath, shower and a separate toilet....the heated floor is also a very nice detail.
On arriving I had 2 bottles of water and a selection of fresh fruit "supremes", nice.
The Spa (Guerlain) is way too expensive, though quite exclusive the access to it is note easy (on the basement floor -1) and impossible for anyone in a wheel chair (lift way too small and forget about the stairs), as for the Swimming pool and Hamam you still have to cross the Spa section to finally reach another lift to the -2 basement...the swimming pool os excellent, big and deep but the hamam is not great, and you do not have any Jacuzzi or anything fancy really.
Regarding the overall service first class, 15 minutes after leaving the Swimming pool I had a knock on my door to offer me more towels and some chocolate (good timing really), and later on a welcome call from the room service, introducing themselves and offering me a special selection du jour, this is great.
Now as we say the devil is in the detail and I do look at all those details that most people would usually ignore, here is where things are starting to fall apart at least for this type of hotel (really this is on the line with Paris most 5 stars e.g: George 5, the Crillon, Grand Hotel...).
So the bad points first:
1) Again as mentioned in a previous review on trip advisor "main foyer chandelier; even the plaster is coming through," and this is still the case!!! First impression?
2) Lift are way too slow and the one for the direct access to the basement (SPA & Swimming pool) is poorly indicated. This is not serious.
3) Wheelchair access is a concern! Forget about the SPA.
4) In the room, if like me you do open the curtains, you will notice (at least in room 406) some live cable, yes open live wire electrical cable, probably left unfinished by the building contractor, this should have been spotted and fixed! Also about 20 cigarettes but on the balcony (french bay window) serious concern about the cleaning check list.
5) The bathroom fixture are poorly fitted in both the shower and the bathroom! this is unacceptable .
6) The additional 50 euros for animals/pets is over the top.
7) Internet/TV package is way too expensive (39 euros???).
8) The kettle service is ridiculous, cheap kettle from Argos, and a crap selection of Tea and coffee, come on you either put a good one or nothing!!!
9) If you are a gold or Diamond member, well good luck, no executive lounge, no free breakfast...Hum careful here the Hilton Arc de Triomphe is not too far away...!)
10) If you check the website and by any chance you wish to do some horse riding as advertise...well simply forget about it you can not do it in Versailles and the nearest stable or 20 minutes away. This is quite misleading.
11) The "Bar food" is too expensive, 29 euros for a sandwich! Though the Caesar salad is excellent and good value.
12) 20 euros a day for the car park.....in Versailles? We are not in Monaco or London city centre with "space restriction" here?

But wait, apart from the points negatives above (ok some of you might say that I am pedantic), overall this is an excellent hotel, the bar is great (I should mentioned that you do get a free cocktail/drink of your choice for 2 on arrival) the staff is super efficient and the hotel itself full of history (or what is left of it).
You have a choice of 2 restaurant (quite expensive for the Gordon Ramsay one with the Italian chef but apparently a very good one), though the new fashion trend for the table du chef is basically you and you guest seating next to the open plan (this is a large glass in between, you are not actually in the kitchen like most restaurant ) kitchen with a personal service and a degustation menu for well slightly over 10.000euros for 6 guest...not joking.
The Veranda is a quick but good cuisine (honestly it is the same "kitchen").
The Brunch is not average, with a good selection but nothing extraordinary and only soft drinks on offer.
So the good pints:
1) Swimming pool (except the towels that are not 4/5 stars).
2) The staff.
3) The Caesar salad.
4) The welcome selection (fresh fruits and water).
5) The drink selection (Armagnacs and Whiskies mainly).
6) The surrounding.
7) The size of the rooms.
8) Value for money if you get a good deal online.
9) Top of the range Michelin star restaurant (e.g Gordon Ramsay).
10) Great view from the main building, access to the garden and next door to the Versailles castle (15 minutes walk).

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank MikePM
Write a ReviewReviews (3,308)

Reviewed 7 November 2010

Great hotel..excellent service. Arrived very late and still the staff were helpful and accomodating. Had a room in the newer part of the hotel a short walk from the main old palace building. Nice clean modern hotel room with all the luxuries one would expect. Excellent Mattress guaranteed a good nights sleep. Room was a little warm and aircon seemed a little ineffective though may have been set centrally for winter conditions. All in all great hotel stay and excellent for business or pleasure

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed 6 November 2010

Good base for exploring Versailles as it is a walk through to park to get to the main Palace. We stayed in the palace building which appeared to be much nicer than the Annex. Staff were friendly and helpful. We ate at both restaurants which were both excellent. The spa treatment was of a very high quality but they could use a decent relaxation area.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 November 2010

Trianon Palace is a marvel. Rooms are spacious. Bed is soooo comfortable. Service is Very Good, although I have to say that Breakfast Service wasn't so good, I stood up a few times and there were some items that needed repleneshing and the resturant was half full.

Anyway, the area is great. Very Quiet. The Bathroom could maybe have been a little bigger.

But it was an overall marvelous experience for my girlfriend and I

And our best time was in the Gym. The hamman is at just the right temperature, so is the water. And the design of the Spa is very nice too.

Great Stay

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2010

This was my second stay at this hotel and it's really gone downhill fast.
I should have known what I was in for as the porter watched me struggle through the revolving doors with my own bags
I paid at the desk for an upgrade to the palace side as I wanted a nice view, big mistake.
5 minutes after unpacking the noise started: Drilling, banging hammering: unbearable.
I called reception and asked to be moved; they said the elevator/lift next door was broken but that other rooms were full... on a Tuesday.. in November.. the place was empty.. PLEASE?!?
After saying I was about to check out unhappy I was told for an extra 50 euro I would get a suite so I agreed to move. I waited and waited, OVER AN HOUR and had to call to ask what was going on, it was now 2.30 pm and I was starving. I finally got to my new room.
The clock was broken and I had to plug it in; the internet keep going off; I was then callled and told that all the water to the hotel would be going off in 10 minutes for an hour!?
I had just got in and needed a shower! This in a 5 Star hotel it was like Fawlty towers

That night I needed to get a taxi late (10.30pm) to Paris to visit a sick friend, the receptionist said the concierge was gone and did not know what to do then waited and gave me 2 numbers to CALL MYSELF AT MY COST!!?!
I had to call the internet people 3 times and get them to my room to get online and they have the cheek to charge 25 Euro a day for the service.
In the morning I went for a spa steam, it was barely warm. the attendant shrugged and said its like that sometimes. A waste of a hour getting changed and getting there, thanks.
The room was nice and spacious but I would expect that of a suite; however
The final insult was to come, as I packed I noticed sticking out of the coverlet of the bed
a used woman's foot pantyhose. Just to add I am a man and travelling on my own.
TRULY DISGUSTING
I had the internet removed from my bill and an apology
I will certainly never stay here again, the place is falling apart; the public areas are getting worn:lifts 3 lifts were out of order while I was there (one poor woman had to walk the lobby in her robe to get to the spa and said she was never coming back either)
I've attached a photo of the main foyer chandelier; even the plaster is coming through,
This place plays on the name and the location and needs to be exposed for the sham rip off it has now become.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank spaceboy007
Reviewed 4 November 2010

We stayed here for the first few days of our honeymoon. The service is absolutely perfect. The concierges were very knowledgeable and spoke excellent English. The room is well appointed and large by European standards. We stayed on the Pavilion side of the property in a room with a garden view. I would recommend this hotel as long as you are aware that it is a little bit of a hike to get into Paris by Metro or taxi. On the other hand, it is literally right next door to Versailles. Also, the room service and restaurant prices were VERY high. The food quality was excellent.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2010

After some hard and joyful days in Disney we arrived to this wonderful hotel. Located close to the Royal Castle in Versaille. Me, my spouse and our four yrs. old son had and joyful relaxing week-end at this hotel. From check in, until we left we wine and dined in exellent restaurants. Nice breakfast. good lunches. Train into the central Paris was no problem. The spa with a nice swimmingpool was just a winner for all family. Very nice and calm surrondings with nice terasses, just made for an expresso or a well chilled white wine. As we were about to leave our son submitted the stay for all of us with " My best vacation ever"))

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Finn