“Bad location”

Sidsmums
London, United Kingdom
“Bad location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

I was here last July and the hostel was dead, as in I was the only person theree. I had previously been travelling through Spain and all hostels were packed so it was a shock, and ended up with nothing to do as the hostel is located in a very very small village outside of carcassonne, it's not actually in carcassonne, and there were no activities organised by the hostel .... There were bikes for hire but I had a look at them and they all had something wrong (eg. Flat tyre etc).
Otherwise it's an Ok hostel run by a nice woman.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank dave b
TracySidsmums, Owner at Sidsmums, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Hi there, thanks for the review. We have looked back over our records and you did in fact stay with us midweek in late June 2013 (not in July the high season) and there were in fact 4 other people staying at the Hostel at that time. During that period we did NOT offer bikes for hire but offered FREE loan of bikes, some needed tyres inflating and equipment was available.
The majority of our guests (95% Google, Tripadvisor, Hostelworld ranking) love Sidsmums for the excellent facilities, friendliness and location, 10 mins drive from Carcassonne or 1€ bus, small supermarket 150m, excellent restaurant 250m, and bus stop 200m.
We do try to offer a great Hostelling experience but it is impossible to be all things to all people, sorry we did not meet your expectations, and we are looking into organising trips to activities in the area this year.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

My buddy and I stayed here quite a few years ago so I can't vouch for anything recently (I stayed in 2008) but it was a great and relaxing place to stay. The hostel is out in the lovely French country-side away from a lot of the main attractions and hustle and bustle of the city. When we stayed there, the owner of the hostel came and picked us up in town and drove us back out. She also offered trips into the city daily and pickups later that day. I guess the drawbacks are that you are away from the main attraction (the Medieval City) so you do have to arrange transportation and food is not very close so you need to purchase and cook at the hostel or make other plans. The atmosphere at the hostel was awesome and it was fun to just hang out with other hostel-stayers in the backyard at nights. I'd recommend this if you're looking for a relaxing hostel near Carcassonne.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
TracySidsmums, Owner at Sidsmums, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
WOW! Thanks for a great review, even after 5 years Sidsmums Backpackers Hostel Carcassonne still leaves you with good memories. We took over the Hostel in 2011 and made various improvements. We still offer lifts to town and this is supplemented by the 1€ bus and train to make it even easier to get to Sidsmums. Another great improvement is we now have a small supermarket 150m from the Hostel which is ideal for those quick self catered meals in our fully equipped kitchen. Cheers!
Toulouse, Midi-Pyrenees, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

I first stayed at Sidsmums back in 2010 when the hostel was run by its previous owner. Since it's changed hands, Tracy has kept all the things that were lovely about the hostel, made several necessary updates, and added some flair of her own. For example, the book exchange is still available along with board games and puzzles that guests can use. The bedding has had a complete changeover/makeover. And Tracy makes frequent trips to town, sometimes even using an 8-passenger van!

She was kind enough to come and get my husband and I from the Carcassonne train station after we'd gotten confused by bad directions from the SNCF and forgotten Tracy's excellent and specific advice about how to return to the hostel.

Sidsmums is exactly what a hostel should be: It fits the budget, is relaxing, and is full of interesting and friendly people. Though it's a ways from town, you really gain so much natural beauty out in Preixan (not to mention small village French charm). The views of the surrounding countryside are breathtaking, and the nearby river is accessible and a great break from the summer heat.

Since we were there for Bastille Day (July 14), Tracy took eight of us to see the famous Carcassonne fireworks display, which are second only to Paris and are shot out from the medieval city. The display was stunning, and the entire countryside for miles around was packed to the gills. Though traffic was impassible for quite a while, Tracy kept a positive, can-do attitude as our driver, and some of the lovely guests in the van went out and found us some late-night roadside snacks from a food truck up the road.

Tracy keeps her finger on the pulse of local activities and attractions and is very knowledgeable and helpful.

I would absolutely recommend this hostel and plan to return when I have the chance.

Room Tip: If you're up for the group experience or traveling alone as I did at first, the cabins are basic...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
TracySidsmums, Owner at Sidsmums, responded to this review, 9 February 2014
Thanks for a nice review. It is especially important to us because you have returned to Sidsmums after the hostel changing hands. It is really good to hear that the changes we have made have improved the hostelling experience whilst maintaining all that is good. We continue to make improvements to Sidsmums hoping to provide a comfortable environment for all those away from home. Enjoy your future travels :D
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

I stayed at Sidsmums at the end of August/beginning of September. I only have good things to say about this place! Tracy and Peter are GREAT hosts! They do go out of their way to make sure their hosts are confy. Everything was clean, very spacious, it felt like home! I had planned to stay 2 nights and I've extended it by 1 day! Preixan is a beautiful village, really not far from Carcassonne. I travelled for a month, and it was one of my favorite stay.

A sincere thank you to you, Tracy and Peter! I will recommend Sidsmums to my canadian friends!

For backpackers and other travelers by train, the bus which brings you from Carcassonne to Preixan is actually a coach bus and not a city bus (bus number was not announced on the bus).

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Florence, Toscana, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

Leaving the madness of Barcelona behind, I drove up to Sidsmums to stay for a few days. It's hard to classify this place. It doesn't feel like a hostel. The best way to sum it up is that it feels like home away from home. From the moment I arrived, I felt welcome and the people I met were all interesting and kind.

The sleeping quarters are fantastic - clean, comfortable. I stayed in both the dorms and the private cabins. Both superb. The bathrooms were well equipped and spotless. The kitchen was huge and fantastic and allowed us to produce some fantastic meals in a community environment. I have cooked in hostel kitchens before but this was the first time I could cook dinner, have a conversation with others guests and have the most amazing view and fresh air out of the kitchen balcony.

WiFi was free and fast. Lots of board games to play. Lots of space (not important to everyone but after being in a cramped city, you need your space). Fridge with beer and wine for very reasonable prices. The hosts Peter and Tracy actually care that you are comfortable and having a good stay. I didn't feel like a guest - I felt like friend. I was learning to take photos of the stars and they actually brought out a tripod for me to use.

The prices are VERY reasonable. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

Stayed for a few days at the back end of July 2013.
Really nice place to stay- Tracy the host is most welcoming and the Hostel was clean, tidy and everything we expected.
Outside of Carcassonne in a lovely quiet village on the hillside with fabulous views of the countryside around. Excellent local restaurant and a well stocked village shop. Transport to and from was convenient with a bus through the village as well as Taxis and Tracy who goes out of her way to help if you have a transport problem.
Great value and will stay again.

Room Tip: Its a quiet village and you can choose a family cabin, bed in the bunk room or a room in the gete de...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

This place is the most amazing hostel with the kindest family always there to help you out with whatever you need. The atmosphere is so relaxing and friendly - you never want to leave this place! The rooms are really nice, the place is very clean and all the facilities you need are here. The kitchen is large and very nice to cook in, and the garden is an amazing place to chill out. Peter and Tracy are extremely helpful and you will feel right at home immediately! There is a bus to Carcassonne for 1€ and it only takes 15 minutes and the stop is really close by. Otherwise Tracy and Peter will be happy to take you to Carcassonne or pick you up for 5€ - and if you fill the car with others from the hostel you can even share the cost. If you're considering going here, then just stop and press book because you will not regret it! It's awesome!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple