“Disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Austin, Texas
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

I do not know where the other people ate but I went to this restaurant for my birthday and was extremely disappointed. The owners wife was delightful but EVERYTHING else was a disappointment. The spinach salad had a good clean dressing but it was just a pile of leaves. Totally unimaginative. I also has the scallops (which were not as advertized). the entire dish consisted of four very small scallops with a julienne of vegetables on top. Four small bights for 26 euros. The wine was very overpriced too. I went to another restaurant after spending 97 euros at this one because the amount of food I was served did not make a decent appetizer. The food was also served without seasoning. My girlfriend had the duck which was overcooked and over seasoned. I have been in France for two months now and Carcassonne for three weeks and this is the worst restaurant for value and taste that I have been to in at least a year. The only good thing is i did not get sick.

• Visited January 2012

Davis, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Marvellous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2011

My husband and I have been twice this year to sample Robert Rodriquez' wonderful fare. We definitely plan on going back again the next time we are in Carcassone.

His restaurant is a very personal place. You are buzzed in to this small locale and walk past his kitchen as you are guided to the dining area, so you can greet him while he creates his masterpieces.

Both the vegetarian and meat dishes available here are truly excellent. If you like cassoulet or want to try this rich stew, this is the place to do it!

The local wines he serves are also among the best I've tasted here, which is high praise in a region where I've never had a bad wine.

Not speaking French can make it difficult to figure out the menu and to get service here, so I recommend bringing a small pocket dictionary and learning a few restaurant-related phrases.

Bottom line, this restaurant is well worth the splurge!

• Visited October 2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Fresh, organic, and delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

Stopped in at 7:45p on our way back from La Cite. Dining room was completely empty (not sure why). We ordered a salad and the rotisserie chicken to split. Both were divine. The salad was freshly picked from the owner's garden; the dressing and herbs were perfect. The chicken was beautifully present, moist, and perfectly seasoned. The portions were big enough that we both walked away full (but not stuffed). The whole meal cost 31 euros and was far better than anything else we've had for that price in France. If budget travellers want to splurge without going overboard, this is the place.

2 Thank Zpal
Copenhagen, Denmark
“One of the best resturants I have ever tried”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2011

This restaurant is absolutely amazing! The atmosphere is very cozy and authentic and the couple running the restaurant is very kind.

When we arrived at the restaurant we rang the door bell and the husband showed us to our table. The other guests at the restaurant kindly greeted us (which I have never experienced before). I felt like we were in some ones living room along with several other guests. It was absolutely amazing – and something that I have never tried before.

The food was absolutely outstanding. Everything just tasted a little better than I have ever tried before. This restaurant is a must-do in Carcassonne – it is in fact a must-do in southern France. And the prices are absolutely fair. For less than 100 euro we had a three course dinner for two and a bottle of wine.

• Visited June 2011
London, United Kingdom
“Perfection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2011

We just fell in love with this little gem of a place and can only be so thankful to the Rodriguez for a wonderful dinner and experience.
We didnt know what to expect when we rang the bell outside only to be let in by Madame Rodriguez, who took us past the kitchen (so we could say Bonjour to the Chef) and into a small bistro like room full of vintage 30's to 50's furniture, kitchen appliances and memorabilia, with mismatching tables and chairs, a mix of old French music in the background enhanced the retro feel. It's overall a small intimate room and we felt more like we had just been invited to eat at someone's house rather than at a restaurant, but this is precisely why its so lovely.
And then obviously there is the food, which is pretty special. Ingredients are of the highest quality, all locally sourced, but really its the integrity with which Robert Rodriguez cooks that makes it outstanding for me. There is so much respect and love for the ingredients and he dares to let them speak for themselves with simplicity, rather than spoil any of it by over-complicating things.
Our starter of green asparagus was beautifully presented, the subtle taste of the asparagus was complimented by some stronger (but not overpowering) ham and fragrant mix of fresh herbs. It was spring in a mouthful. I had the confit d'oie poached in stock with fresh herb, served in a tajine pot with a selection of spring vegetables. It looked gorgeous with the meat sitting among the colourful vegetables. The meat was tender, moist and falling off the bone, while the vegetables were cooked and seasoned to perfection. It was a delight. My boyfriend had the salmon, also served with spring vegetables, and also a delight. For dessert I went for the chocolate mousse, which was as my gran-mother and mum have always taught me to do it with just eggs, chocolate and a bit of sugar but nothing else. The texture was light and fluffy, the portion was generous and the perfect last touch to a perfect meal. My boyfriend had the apple tart, which was beautifully presented with a whole half apple on a circle of pastry with some delicious cinnamon ice cream on the side. The wine was local and organic, and we dared to try the local digestif (something similar to Genepi, with a strong herbal flavour).
Throughout Madame Rodriguez made us feel very much at home, she is a lovely host, happy to chat and advice. It was a wonderful evening and we only wished we had stayed longer in Carcassonne only to be able to dine there again.

• Visited May 2011