Hotel de la Cite Carcassonne - MGallery Collection
Hotel Astoria(Carcassonne Center)(Great Value!)
US$65
US$62
Ibis Budget Carcassonne Aeroport(Carcassonne Center)(Great Value!)
US$53
Best Western Hotel Le Donjon(Carcassonne Center)
US$192
US$160
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Ibis Styles Carcassonne La Cite(Carcassonne Center)(Great Value!)
US$99
US$97
Hotel de la Bastide(Carcassonne Center)(Great Value!)
US$104
Campanile Carcassonne Est - La Cite(Carcassonne Center)(Great Value!)
US$81
US$78
Travelocity
Hotel du Chateau(Carcassonne Center)
US$258
US$247
Orbitz.com
Hotel Montmorency(Carcassonne Center)
US$148
US$141
  • Pool
Hotel du Pont Vieux(Carcassonne Center)
US$135
US$127
Hotels.com
Hotel Octroi(Carcassonne Center)
US$122
US$117
1,652 results
All reviewslibrary bartasting menujunior suitewalled citymichelin starbeautiful hotelold citycar parkluxury hotelyour luggagegarden viewthe hotel offersnarrow streetshotel restaurantwithin the wallshotel guestsmagical place
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 September 2007

We visited this hotel for two nights in September to celebrate my wife's birthday. We booked two nights in a deluxe classic room via the hotel's website and travelled to Carcassonne courtesy of Ryanair. At Carcassonne Airport we struggled to get a taxi - this is the first airport I have travelled to where there was not a line of taxis waiting for pickups. If I came again I would pre-arrange a taxi via my hotel. When a taxi did arrive it was a 15 minute journey to the hotel - 25 euros including a tip.

Unlike many reviewers we did not get an upgrade and the room we had was satisfactory but not that special. It was on the second floor and fairly small, looking out towards the ramparts. To be truthful we were disappointed with our room hoping for something a little better for the price. However the rest of the hotel in terms of situation, attractiveness, staff and overall experience made up for our disappointment with our room.

The hotel is fantastically situated within the Citadel, attractive with pretty (but not that extensive) gardens with a pleasant swimming pool. If you are visiting for just a night a two to visit the citedel I would say this hotel is the place to be. All the staff we met were exceptionally helpful and courteous, and spoke good English.

We did not breakfast at the hotel to save space for lunch and dinner. On our first night we ate in the hotel's Le Jardin De L'eveque Restaurant. We had the chef's menu of the day which was ok but not that fantastic. On my wife's birthday we had dinner in the La Barbacane restaurant. We had the "La Barbacane en Fête" tasting menu and had a wonderful meal. The dinning room was very grand and the service was outstanding.

The citedel was beautiful and we had an enjoyable day exploring it. Paying (I think 7.50 euros each) to go into the Chateau Comtal (the castle) is a must. Once inside they have guided visits around the castle and along the ramparts with an English speaking guide. By staying in the citedel you get the benefit of less visitors early in the morning and evening.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Carcassonne and staying at this hotel contributed to the experience.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dc1743
Reviewed 14 September 2007

Hotel de la Cite was perfect for a one night stay in Carcassonne, it is right by the city walls and has a great view especially at night - maybe even nicer than actually being in the city. We wanted a good option that did not involve spending 700E for the relais and chateau property and this hotel was really the ticket.

Rooms are small but they come with everything you can think of loaded in - great showers, all the bathroom amenities, a range of lights including in floor lighting and a comfortable bed. Our rooms overlooked the pool and had it own patio (about the size of the room itself) which was very welcome and the breakfasts are good. Reception staff also navigated us towards some good dining options - no mean feat in such a tourist trafficed spot.

Not sure we would have wanted to stay for an extended period but if you are looking for a short stay this is a great option.

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank hoteljunky
Reviewed 27 July 2007

Another city and hotel listed on the 1000 places to visit before you die. So we did (visit, not die)
Booked a 2-day stay through the hotel website at a special package rate. Could not book for longer because the hotel was fully booked all other days that month. Still, a week before flying to France, we called the reception and miraculously an extra day was open prior to our check in date. We asked for confirmation but the receptionist said it would be our same reservation number. Retrospectively, we should have asked for an email or fax updated with our new dates
When we got there, surprise surprise, our early day was not recorded and the hotel was booked solid because of a wedding. It took quite an effort getting through the layers of staff to speak with the manager and the only thing he did was book us at a nearby hotel (Le Domaine d'Auriac) and upgrade our room when we checked in the next day.
Le Domaine D'Auriac was decent enough but pricy for what it was and it was very inconvenient checking in and out 2 days in a row.
One we made it to the Hotel De la Cite, our room was indeed upgraded to a junior suite and was very nice. Walking around Carcassone at night was great. Had dinner at the hotel restaurant La Barbacane which is supposedly a gastronomic restaurant but we were rather disappointed by the food and service. The food was just not up to par compared to other 1-michelin star restaurants we've been to in France. If you are driving watch out! The streets are impossibly small and are closed for entrance in town during the day anyway (but not for exiting). If you check in during the day, you will have to park outside the city and take a shuttle (think golf-cart) to the hotel. Your car will be brought and parked closer to the hotel in the evening.
The main reason to stay in this hotel is really to visit Carcassone early in the morning or late in the evening without the hordes of tourists that are plaguing it during the day. The architecture of the town is stunning, a real live Medieval City. Stores and shopping were a bit disappointing though. Catering to the masses rather than the elite but after digging a bit you can find some gems that are quite affordable. No nightlife to speak of in town apart for a couple of pubs with occasional live music. Other restaurants in town are very busy and quickly booked out. Only touristic fare at lunch time.
If you do go to the Hotel de La Cite, confirm, reconfirm, check in early and stay only 1 night or 2 max. If you want to explore the region for a few more days, stay at another hotel.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Docsam
Reviewed 23 July 2007

I will admit that my stay at Hotel de la Cite was a while ago (fall 2003, I think - pre-Katrina is all I really know for certain). However, my memories of the lovely hotel are vivid. The hotel, and the city itself, wonderfully historic (I was reading "Timeline" during my stay, which amplified the sense of history). Our room was quite comfortable and spacious. The restaurant was very good. The hotel was quiet, and had plenty of little areas to sit and relax. The garden is pretty, and a great place to people watch, as the tourists strolled along the city's double wall. The service was very good, and in fact the front desk allowed me to use their computer to check my email. We did not experience any problems with noice whatsoever. Because Carcassonne is so small, everything is an easy walk from the hotel. And, in the evening, when the tour busses leave, you have the entire cute city basically to yourself.

• Stayed: September 2003
3  Thank nolachar
Reviewed 22 July 2007

This is a great hotel in a supurb location: we were really happy to just leave our car in the hotel garage and to spend 2 days wandering around La Cite.

On our arrival the hotel upgraded us to a Junior Suite so we had a really nice room with a lovely view of the square outside the hotel. The bathroom was also excellent (even taking into account that I shared my shower with a scorpion one morning). The one issue I had with the room was that as it overlooked the square I heard the noise from the street cleaners who appeared to start work at around 500am. It didn't really bother me, or my wife, but if you are a light sleeper you might prefer a room on the other side of hotel: overlooking the walls.

We didn't try the main hotel restaurant - my wife really wanted a good cassoulet (which is a specially of the Carcassonne) and the front desk advised us that the hotel did not do the best cassoulet in town. We did eat breakfast in the hotel - it was a huge very high quality buffet but we did find it a bit expensive.

The garden at the back of the hotel is very pleasant as is the pool. And the view over the walls and the town of Carcassone is breathtaking.

We did find the bar staff a bit 'cold' - they seemed to focus more on the guests in the restaurant rather than the guests who just wanted a drink. Though I did enjoy a couple of nices glasses of Armagnac while I was there.

The old hotel ledgers in the bar make for facsinating reading - they date from the 1920's and they list the guests and the various charges. Some of the names sounded as if they had walked straight out of a Agatha Christie novel.

There was WiFi and I found that the best reception was beside the lobby.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple