Hotel de la Cite Carcassonne - MGallery Collection
Hotel du Chateau(Carcassonne Center)
US$220
US$210
  • Pool
Best Western Hotel Le Donjon(Carcassonne Center)
US$162
US$144
  • Restaurant
Hotel du Pont Vieux(Carcassonne Center)
US$117
US$97
Hotel Aragon(Carcassonne Center)
US$106
US$167
US$147
Campanile Carcassonne Est - La Cite(Carcassonne Center)(Great Value!)
US$79
Hotels.com
Cote Cite(Carcassonne Center)
US$124
1,669 results
All reviewslibrary bartasting menujunior suitewalled citymichelin starbeautiful hotelold citycar parkluxury hotelyour luggagegarden viewthe hotel offersnarrow streetshotel restaurantwithin the wallshotel guestsmagical place
Reviewed 15 March 2008

The Hotel de La Cite is one of only two hotels located inside the medieval walls of Carcassonne. Parking is actually outside the walls of the city and the hotel provides shuttle service. This five-star accommodation will was one of the highlights of our anniversary trip. We were upgraded to a room with a large walk out patio with spectacular views of the surrounding countryside. A bottle of champagne and a personalized bar of chocolate, with a picture the Hotel on it, were in our room upon arrival. The bed was one of the most comfortable ones we've ever slept in and the bathrooms were not only large but also fully stocked with any overlooked toiletries. The cost of dinner was included with our stay and it was absolutely mouth watering. Set in the garden just across from the entrance to the hotel, the twinkling lights added just the perfect ambience to our celebration of our 25th wedding anniversary.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christine H
Reviewed 29 December 2007

This was very nearly a glowing report, and one that would therefore have surprised me, because I'm no great fan of Orient Express hotels...(for the low point on their management chart, see La Residencia in Deia, Mallorca).
But at this hotel, amazingly situated within the walls of the almost too Disneyesque citadel, things could not have started better. I got lost trying to get there of course, (and believe me it IS a tad difficult), but this could be either because my GPS system contains a tiny shortsighted buffoon, or more likely because I simply don't honestly trust a talking map. However, one call to reception, and not only did I find my way to the doors with only one more wrong turn, but the extraordinarily charming porter was standing there waiting for us. He parked the car in the locked park within the hotel garden, and was there with our bags by the time we'd signed in. The reception staff were helpful, funny, smart and relaxed.
Dinner at the swanky Barbacane restaurant was...well...not as good as they think it is, but perfectly acceptable. The service, again, was the high point, with only one waiter being overly up-himself, and the rest making up for it anyway.
Breakfast at the hotel's Saskia brasserie the next morning was fantastically good. A huge selection of stuff, and much as I hate buffets, they passed the impossible test of doing scrambled eggs so they don't turn into slush or bricks. Full marks, except, oddly enough, for the staff of young ladies who just don't 'get it' as far as service is concerned. Perhaps that's why it's self-service. Not a problem, then.
On our return trip, we had dinner at the Saskia too, and it was both excellent, and great value for money, Again, the staff were wonderful, albeit with a change of gender.
However....with Orient Express there's always a however...the next day, we ordered a ham and cheese sandwich from Room Service. After 20 minutes they called back to say they couldn't make a ham and cheese sandwich. I asked why. The answer was that they had no bread, no ham, and no cheese. In fact they couldn't make any sort of sandwich at all, apparently. This seemed so bizarre that I trekked up to reception to check with the unfailingly-charming and helpful folk there. They said that this was hardly acceptable. We agreed on this as a thought, and we checked out...again with the help of one of the most helpful porters I've ever encountered...and got a sandwich at the first motorway service station!
To complete this little report, the rooms we were allocated on both visits were spotless and perfectly situated overlooking the garden and the battlements. The decor is a bit dated, but all squeaky clean.
Just don't get the munchies in the afternoons, that's all!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank godfatherMallorca
Reviewed 15 October 2007

4:48 PM 10/15/2007

No wonder this hotel gets high marks. It is wonderful. I had the best upgrade (Jr. Suite) with a private terrace. It must have been attached to the biggest suite as it was off in a large private hall with crystal chandelier, adjoining the conference room. I was a happy camper. ........................................

I BOOKED DIRECTLY WITH THE HOTEL AND GOT THE INTERNET RATE. I think booking directly with them carries some weight as there wold be no commission to a middle man (agency or booking service).

The furnishings in the suite blond wood , deep windows, a wet bar, dining table, desk, and yellow upholstered couches (yes, there were 2) and chairs.

The bath had both a tub and a marble shower, 2 heated towel racks, l`octaine products, well lit, full of mirrors . The closet/dressing area were in the bath room area which was visionary in my opinion.

There was a bit of a" hicup" with the TV. It was in it's own box which had a motorized lift for raising or lowering the TV. It worked fine going up and down, but turning it away from the bed to face the couch was awkward at best.

The maintenance man came get it to work correctly, but I had to lift and turn it at the same time, or it wouldn't move. Since it wasn't a digital or slim-line TV (but a really heavy old one), I can only hope they are planning to replace it in the near future.

I was greeted with 6 fresh roses, a plate of chocolates, and a note from the management wishing me a pleasant stay.

Breakfast buffet in their restaurant Chez Saskia was good, but probably not worth 26€. The scrambled eggs were excellently prepared (soft not in hard clumps which are usually found on a buffet). The orange juice was fresh and there was no extra charge for a cappuccino.

There was not a problem with the lovely Orient Express property, the staff or the service. But it doesn't take 3 days to explore Carcassonne.

I had booked for a 3 night stay, but decided to leave after just 2 nights. Surprise, I was told I would have to pay for the 3 nights due to their 72 hour cancel period. YIKES! After some polite discussion they relented and charged me only for the nights I stayed.

It's tricky to get a cab from the rail station, but one eventually did show up. The cab came was prompt on the return. And the fare is less than 10€.

Now if I could only learn how to say "There will be no tip if you use your cell phone" in French.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank practical
Reviewed 25 September 2007

Spent a long weekend @ the beginning of September to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary. Booked directly with the hotel who arranged a Taxi which was there upon arrival following a Ryanair flight.
The hotel staff upon arival imeadiatley made us fell welcome and they expained that we had been upgraded which was a truely nice gesture. the suite that we stayed in was truly spendid and very comfotable with a fantastic view overlooking the rampart with the city in the distance. Flowers ,chocs and sparking Wine were also presented in the room which was also a really nice touch.
We ate breakfast each day and the choice was superb.
We ate in the terrace reastaurant both in the evening and at luch time both meals very enjoyable.
Thanks to the management for making our visit truly memorable.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Orient123
Reviewed 23 September 2007

We visited this hotel for two nights in September to celebrate my wife's birthday. We booked two nights in a deluxe classic room via the hotel's website and travelled to Carcassonne courtesy of Ryanair. At Carcassonne Airport we struggled to get a taxi - this is the first airport I have travelled to where there was not a line of taxis waiting for pickups. If I came again I would pre-arrange a taxi via my hotel. When a taxi did arrive it was a 15 minute journey to the hotel - 25 euros including a tip.

Unlike many reviewers we did not get an upgrade and the room we had was satisfactory but not that special. It was on the second floor and fairly small, looking out towards the ramparts. To be truthful we were disappointed with our room hoping for something a little better for the price. However the rest of the hotel in terms of situation, attractiveness, staff and overall experience made up for our disappointment with our room.

The hotel is fantastically situated within the Citadel, attractive with pretty (but not that extensive) gardens with a pleasant swimming pool. If you are visiting for just a night a two to visit the citedel I would say this hotel is the place to be. All the staff we met were exceptionally helpful and courteous, and spoke good English.

We did not breakfast at the hotel to save space for lunch and dinner. On our first night we ate in the hotel's Le Jardin De L'eveque Restaurant. We had the chef's menu of the day which was ok but not that fantastic. On my wife's birthday we had dinner in the La Barbacane restaurant. We had the "La Barbacane en Fête" tasting menu and had a wonderful meal. The dinning room was very grand and the service was outstanding.

The citedel was beautiful and we had an enjoyable day exploring it. Paying (I think 7.50 euros each) to go into the Chateau Comtal (the castle) is a must. Once inside they have guided visits around the castle and along the ramparts with an English speaking guide. By staying in the citedel you get the benefit of less visitors early in the morning and evening.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Carcassonne and staying at this hotel contributed to the experience.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank dc1743