“Great hotel, period.”

Mercure Carcassonne La Cite Hotel
Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Carcassonne
Reviewed 25 July 2010

The room and the breakfast are excellent. Everything looks really new. the location is the best: 5 minutes from the castle. They offer a free safe and the staff was lovely. Not to mention the spacious parking lot. Outstanding.

1  Thank Sergio303631

Reviewed 15 July 2010

But we prefer IBIS. The heat was on, and the A/C was not able to cool the room enough. Furthermore, I agree with another guest who noted that these hotels that use trendy duvet covers on comforters add a lovely touch to the decor. But it is impractical because with the cover, it's too hot. When the room finally cools during the night, it's too cold without the cover. Mercure is lovely, and we'll try to reserve at a Mercure whenever we can't get into an IBIS.

Reviewed 8 July 2010

Just came back from a long weekend to celebrate my husbands 60th birthday. I did order a cake to be available which never arrived.
Nice hotel very close to the walled city. Reasonably priced for food although we felt that the cost of drink, , is extremely expensive. The hotel do a good set menu but you will have to go and get your red wine from the bar as the waitress said they didnt serve it in the restaurant. Hopefully, the new recruit waiter will be a bit more clued up in a few weeks time ..... Breakfast could be a bit of a farce with people all asking for basic items like teaspoons and knives. I waited 20 mins for coffee at breakfast on my last morning as both the coffee urn and the coffee machine were both out of order. Take some tea bags if you prefer english tea as they only supplied herbal and fruit teas. Weather was very hot whilst we were there and so the swimming pool was a real godsend although they could do with a few more parasols and recliners.
All in all a good stay.

1  Thank margaretwbstr8
Reviewed 7 July 2010

A GREAT CHOICE! I could not get a room inside the Cite so booked this hotel and was very pleased. I had a quiet night's sleep in the very comfortable rooms. Restaurant was very good, desk service good (no bellman) and extremely well located next to the Cite with easy parking. Being out of the Cite was nice because it was more relaxed and easier to get in and out with the car. The Medieval City is AWESOME, a MUST SEE in your lifetime, but the town of Carcassonne is not too exciting. I would recommend the Mercure.

Reviewed 30 June 2010

I loved my 2nd floor room with the view on the pool, which I used every day. It's all very clean and modern. I appreciated the loo and changing rooms next to the pool. Unfortunately, the pool bar was closed and I could have done with a parasol as it was so hot.
The bathroom was very modern and was given nice sleepers and bathroom robe. The free products are really nice too. Toblerone and crips in the mini-bar were handy.
Nice flat screen TV with good choice of channels.
Great walls, I've heard almost nothing from the surrounding rooms. The kids screaming in the pool with the parents saying nothing were the only noise problem I encountered.
The breakfast choice was great: petits pains au chocolat, croissants, viennoiseries aux raisins, jambon, saucisson, eggs, cereals, dry fruits, hot drinks, the fruit juices were not great. I definitely would like some fresh ones (please, for next time).
Great location for the Cité but not that much for the lower modern town, when it is 36°C, but I went there and saw the market, which was great.
The bar: nice staff but hardly there, and the stagiaire wasn't trained to make cocktails so had to learn on the spot, which isn't nice for her or the client. No strawberries left either so not possible to get a 'vendetta cocktail'. So had a mojito, with no leaves in it, so it didn't look or taste like a real mojito. I must say the stagiaire did really well in a difficult situation. I blame her boss for not training her and putting her at the bar.
This was the only negative, and it wasn't that bad. I just mention it because I think that is where things should improve. The purple free crisps were great and the free drink voucher was a lovely touch.
Another thing, in the tea shop in the Cité, when they offer you tea, they actually make you pay at the end, without telling you first, they tell you it's a 'degustation'. What really disgusted me if that he didn't ask the English ladies to pay but asked me, and I'm sure it was because I was French. And by the way, they don't know anything about tea, I quickly saw that after a few minutes, he has little expertise on the subject.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank sophiemaBeckenham
Reviewed 29 June 2010

My wife and I stayed one night in the Mercure Carcassonne during a month long visit to France in June. The Mercure is a modern chain hotel with its own parking located just a few hundred yards from the entrance to the old walled city. It appears to be used a lot by coach tours. The reception staff were very friendly and welcoming. Our room was quite small but clean and efficient. The bathroom was good sized and modern. The convenience of being able to walk into the old city was terrific. It’s a place that we wanted to be able to wander around in the evening and early morning after the hordes of tourists had left. The room was 120 Euros. We did not eat at the hotel. We had a fairly good dinner at Le Vieux Four on Rue Saint-Louis, eating outside on the quiet street. We had breakfast at a café in Place Marcou which was less expensive than the hotel and quite pleasant in the early morning. Our only complaint with the Mercure was that the air conditioning did not seem to work (or work well) in our room. It was a west facing room, which should have been a plus as it looks out at the old city. But on a hot day the room became rather warm. To add to the problem, there were no upper sheets on the beds – only comforters which were too hot in the warm room. So our sleep that night was not great. It would probably have been better to be on the other side of the building.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cal_Prof
Reviewed 25 June 2010

A new modern hotel located a few minutes walk to the entrance of the City.
Very quiet, nice room and friendly staff. This hotel has a restaurant where we had dinner twice. The menu of the day is not a good deal. It is preferable to select items from a la carte menu.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple