“Lovely Spot”

Best Western Hotel Le Donjon
Ranked #6 of 39 Hotels in Carcassonne
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We enjoyed staying in the medieval village. The cafes served nice food. Plenty of shops. The room was comfortable with friendly service - great breakfast. Nice bar to have a drink and a lovely courtyard to sit in. We will return.

They do have a shuttle bus to take people to the hotel from the outside of the village - use it as the cobbled stones are tricky with the suitcases.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Pamela C

Reviewed 30 November 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights. I was upgraded to a superior room. While the room was not big, it was very nice with a large bed and a bathroom (with bathtub) that was very clean and modern. I liked the two windows that faced in different directions so saw some wonderful sunsets.

The staff were very nice. When I arrived before my room was ready they gave me my wifi password so I could Skype my family and then, while i wandered around, they looked after my luggage which was taken up to my room before I returned to the hotel. The breakfasts were OK.

I arrived by train and took the bus from the station to the Citadel, but during the day no traffic is allowed into the area and the bus dropped me off outside and I had to rely on directions from the tourist office near the entrance to find my way. When I left I went to the station earlier than needed so I could get a taxi from right outside the hotel before they were banned entry (which I think was 8:30 am). There is a bit of a traffic jam in the early morning as that as when delivery trucks go in.

The Citadel is very small and easy to walk around and the hotel is in a great location. I would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We cannot fathom how this hotel qualifies as a 4-Star. It's truly mind-boggling. We were told that we had been upgraded to a Superior room, which sounded lovely. Upon reaching our room, however, we were immensely disappointed. The room was small and practically barren, with the bare minimum in furnishings and no character to it whatsoever. The rug looked as though it hadn't been vacuumed in days; the sink struggled to drain properly; and the water pressure in the shower kept fading in and out. One minute you had a nice, steady stream of hot water; the next, the water was trickling out of the showerhead. Beyond that, the noise from the street as well as from neighboring rooms was too much to handle. The walls must be paper-thin, as we heard every single, solitary word that our American neighbors were saying, well into the wee hours of the night. As another reviewer noted, the street cleaners and delivery trucks began their rounds at a very early hour, with every associated noise making its way into our room. It was a horrible, uncomfortable, sleepless night, and we couldn't wait to check out and get as far away from there as possible. You couldn't pay us to stay there again.

Room Tip: I can't imagine there actually IS a good room in this hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MOE1229
BW_hotel_donjon, Propriétaire at Best Western Hotel Le Donjon, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let me know about the different aspects of your stay with us, which I read with much attention.
I have noted your comments about the room, the watter pressure, the street cleaners… I have passed on your remarks to those of our staff department who take care of it. Regarding to the street cleaners, I passed on your remark to Municipality Authorities.
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologise for not exceeding your expectations.
I ask you to believe that we bring a particular attention on each of our rooms but sometimes, in spite of the efforts that we display in everyday life, incidents can arise. Your comments, are as such, very constructive for us because they allow to indicate dysfunctions which can escape us. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.
Best Regards
Hermine Pujol

Reviewed 21 November 2013

This hotel is in a unique place, right in the middle of an historic Citadel,with no access by private cars. This means you are bewildered about what to do when you arrive, outside the walled city.
By luck, we stumbled upon the car park for hotel guests only, which is free, & secure, but I say by luck!!!!. We then wandered into the city, found the hotel, had some lunch in a nearby restaurant , then went to check in, at which time they offered us a free shuttle van (wreck) back to our car to collect our luggage, which in itself was a novel experience, I woulden`t have missed for the world, weaving in & out of archways down slopes over drawbridges , scraping walls, bumping over cobbles like boulders, skidding in the mud, ( oh yes it was raining) dodging tourists, a mini tour, with your backside beat out!!!, I think they must buy a new van every week!!!!!, but it was brilliant, they should include it as a part of the attraction???
Why is the deal not explained to you when you book, we could well have lugged our cases to the hotel ourselves & missed all the fun, Sorry, I mean struggled!!!!!, I have digressed!!
The hotel is pleasant enough, not over the top, but could not find fault, room very clean & respectable, but not special in any way. Bed big & comfortable, nice heat control, crappy little TV, with limited channels. Tea & coffee making facilities, but only 2 cups each.
The reception staff are exceptional, friendly & very helpful, we witnessed them booking a forward hotel for a pair of American ladies, & going to much effort to help them, so, full marks.
Breakfast!!! well it`s not their fault is it, bless them, they don`t know any different, why don`t they send all hotel staff the England to experience a Full English!!!!. they do try, nice spread , meats, cheese. yogurt , crossants, (however you spell it) do your own toast,( no instructions) boil your own eggs (nightmare) no waitress , horrible tea, no proper hot water, but eventually managed to get omelette ordered with some aneamic sausages, it turned up & it was scrambled egg & cold or nearly,totally awful & all for only 13 Euro`s each, a bargain!!!!!!!!! (I don`t think) nice room, nice looking spread, but that`s where it ended.
All in all not a bad Hotel, but scratching to be 4 star I would think.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank johnj186299
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We wanted to stay in the Cite and this hotel didn't disappoint. We had flown into Carcassonne Airport and taken the very good shuttle bus to the entrance of the Cite from where it was a short walk to the hotel. The reception staff were very pleasant and helpful and our room had 2 windows - 1 looked out over the Church de Nazaire and the other the Pyrenees. On the first morning we had breakfast in our room which consisted of fresh bread and fruit with coffee and pastries - a lovely start to the day.
All in all there was nothing to complain about with this hotel - all staff were very pleasant and always acknowledged us when we saw them.
We would certainly return.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bru1955
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 1 night on a recent trip to France. I was extremely disappointed in the room we were given = #11. It was in the annex building, about a 5 minute walk from the main hotel. Our room faced the street. The air conditioning was turned off, but it was a warm day so the only way to get some air in the room was to open the window. Until 5PM, we heard constant screams from a nearby "haunted house" The deliveries to the nearby restaurants began at 4AM so needless to say there was no sleep for us. The street cleaners came by multiple times during the early morning hours. The word Donjon means dungeon in English and that it was. The room itself was small but adequate. The main hotel appeared much nicer, and the breakfast was quite nice. There was a pleasant little bar in the hotel, but unfortunately no one at the front desk told us about it.

If I had it to do over, I would spend the extra money and stay at the Hotel de la Cite.

Room Tip: DO NOT accept a room in the annex overlooking the street unless you plan on a sleepless night
Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2013

The hotel was ideally situated and our room was in the main building. The room was fairly small but well appointed and comfortable.
We didn't take any meals in the hotel as there are ample restaurants close by but we did always return to the hotel in the evening for a nightcap and this was very pleasant.
The Cite is very busy during the day but as other people have said, a quiet area to be in during the evenings.
The staff at the hotel were very helpful and courteous.
We would recommend this hotel if you're planning a trip to Carcassonne.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple