“Fantastic Customer Service”

Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Carcassonne
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Customer Service”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I was staying at this hotel on business and due to a late flight I arrived several hours late at 11pm. I had phoned the hotel in the early evening to advise them of the delay and they arranged a most delicious dinner to be left for me with the night manager. Salad, Cheeses, Fois Gras, Saucisson and various other things plus dessert and a choice of wine. They really made an effort to ensure a day of flight delays ended on a nice note for me! He looked after me very well and really went above and beyond the call of duty, making sure I was happy and well fed!

It is rare these days to get such individual care and I really thank the hotel for this.

The property itself is in a very beautiful historic town, and is an old building full of character but with all modern conveniences. Certainly I will will return soon.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Sirbalkansobranie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Gold Canyon, Arizona
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Our choice to stay at this hotel was perfect. You are inside the city walls which makes it fun for exploring the surrounding areas at any time of day or night. Also, you have very comfortable accommodations and after a long train ride it was a much needed respite.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
South Fremantle, Australia
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We enjoyed staying in the medieval village. The cafes served nice food. Plenty of shops. The room was comfortable with friendly service - great breakfast. Nice bar to have a drink and a lovely courtyard to sit in. We will return.

They do have a shuttle bus to take people to the hotel from the outside of the village - use it as the cobbled stones are tricky with the suitcases.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Pamela C
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights. I was upgraded to a superior room. While the room was not big, it was very nice with a large bed and a bathroom (with bathtub) that was very clean and modern. I liked the two windows that faced in different directions so saw some wonderful sunsets.

The staff were very nice. When I arrived before my room was ready they gave me my wifi password so I could Skype my family and then, while i wandered around, they looked after my luggage which was taken up to my room before I returned to the hotel. The breakfasts were OK.

I arrived by train and took the bus from the station to the Citadel, but during the day no traffic is allowed into the area and the bus dropped me off outside and I had to rely on directions from the tourist office near the entrance to find my way. When I left I went to the station earlier than needed so I could get a taxi from right outside the hotel before they were banned entry (which I think was 8:30 am). There is a bit of a traffic jam in the early morning as that as when delivery trucks go in.

The Citadel is very small and easy to walk around and the hotel is in a great location. I would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We cannot fathom how this hotel qualifies as a 4-Star. It's truly mind-boggling. We were told that we had been upgraded to a Superior room, which sounded lovely. Upon reaching our room, however, we were immensely disappointed. The room was small and practically barren, with the bare minimum in furnishings and no character to it whatsoever. The rug looked as though it hadn't been vacuumed in days; the sink struggled to drain properly; and the water pressure in the shower kept fading in and out. One minute you had a nice, steady stream of hot water; the next, the water was trickling out of the showerhead. Beyond that, the noise from the street as well as from neighboring rooms was too much to handle. The walls must be paper-thin, as we heard every single, solitary word that our American neighbors were saying, well into the wee hours of the night. As another reviewer noted, the street cleaners and delivery trucks began their rounds at a very early hour, with every associated noise making its way into our room. It was a horrible, uncomfortable, sleepless night, and we couldn't wait to check out and get as far away from there as possible. You couldn't pay us to stay there again.

Room Tip: I can't imagine there actually IS a good room in this hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MOE1229
BW_hotel_donjon, Propriétaire at Best Western Le Donjon Les Remparts, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let me know about the different aspects of your stay with us, which I read with much attention.
I have noted your comments about the room, the watter pressure, the street cleaners… I have passed on your remarks to those of our staff department who take care of it. Regarding to the street cleaners, I passed on your remark to Municipality Authorities.
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologise for not exceeding your expectations.
I ask you to believe that we bring a particular attention on each of our rooms but sometimes, in spite of the efforts that we display in everyday life, incidents can arise. Your comments, are as such, very constructive for us because they allow to indicate dysfunctions which can escape us. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.
Best Regards
Hermine Pujol
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013

This hotel is in a unique place, right in the middle of an historic Citadel,with no access by private cars. This means you are bewildered about what to do when you arrive, outside the walled city.
By luck, we stumbled upon the car park for hotel guests only, which is free, & secure, but I say by luck!!!!. We then wandered into the city, found the hotel, had some lunch in a nearby restaurant , then went to check in, at which time they offered us a free shuttle van (wreck) back to our car to collect our luggage, which in itself was a novel experience, I woulden`t have missed for the world, weaving in & out of archways down slopes over drawbridges , scraping walls, bumping over cobbles like boulders, skidding in the mud, ( oh yes it was raining) dodging tourists, a mini tour, with your backside beat out!!!, I think they must buy a new van every week!!!!!, but it was brilliant, they should include it as a part of the attraction???
Why is the deal not explained to you when you book, we could well have lugged our cases to the hotel ourselves & missed all the fun, Sorry, I mean struggled!!!!!, I have digressed!!
The hotel is pleasant enough, not over the top, but could not find fault, room very clean & respectable, but not special in any way. Bed big & comfortable, nice heat control, crappy little TV, with limited channels. Tea & coffee making facilities, but only 2 cups each.
The reception staff are exceptional, friendly & very helpful, we witnessed them booking a forward hotel for a pair of American ladies, & going to much effort to help them, so, full marks.
Breakfast!!! well it`s not their fault is it, bless them, they don`t know any different, why don`t they send all hotel staff the England to experience a Full English!!!!. they do try, nice spread , meats, cheese. yogurt , crossants, (however you spell it) do your own toast,( no instructions) boil your own eggs (nightmare) no waitress , horrible tea, no proper hot water, but eventually managed to get omelette ordered with some aneamic sausages, it turned up & it was scrambled egg & cold or nearly,totally awful & all for only 13 Euro`s each, a bargain!!!!!!!!! (I don`t think) nice room, nice looking spread, but that`s where it ended.
All in all not a bad Hotel, but scratching to be 4 star I would think.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank johnj186299
portsmouth,
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We wanted to stay in the Cite and this hotel didn't disappoint. We had flown into Carcassonne Airport and taken the very good shuttle bus to the entrance of the Cite from where it was a short walk to the hotel. The reception staff were very pleasant and helpful and our room had 2 windows - 1 looked out over the Church de Nazaire and the other the Pyrenees. On the first morning we had breakfast in our room which consisted of fresh bread and fruit with coffee and pastries - a lovely start to the day.
All in all there was nothing to complain about with this hotel - all staff were very pleasant and always acknowledged us when we saw them.
We would certainly return.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple