“Great setting to make you feel you've gone back in time”

Best Western Le Donjon Les Remparts
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Carcassonne
Harlow, United Kingdom
“Great setting to make you feel you've gone back in time”
Reviewed 17 August 2010

My husband was very keen to stay within the walled city, and so this was the perfect location - unfortunately we could only stay one night as it was fully booked the previous night. It's the first time we've both been there, so wasn't sure what to expect but we had good reviews of the area.
Our sat nav and general preperation skills were a little lacking; we had to stop at another hotel to ask for directions as we couldn't find how to get into the Cite itself. Thanks to a very friendly receptionist, we followed the road past the cemetery and into the car park. We were very lucky to find a place - it was about 2.30pm and heaving with cars but thankfully the Best Western rep there explained our car could be moved to the secure car park within the walls and close to the hotel, so we went for that option. It was 12 EUROs, and I'm sure the other parking was free.
Our bags were taken to our room fairly promptly; it was a nice treat I must admit.
It took about a 7-minute walk from the first car park which gave us the chance to take in the atmosphere and see what was going on.
The check-in went smoothly; we left the car keys so the car could be moved which was another nice add-on. Our room (24) was really lovely - lovely crisp white sheets, mahogany surround, and wing-back chair made it feel it had a personal touch. Everything was in good working order, although - and I'm sure this was to do with the age of the building - we could have done with more light as the one window in the room looked out to a wall so it was a little dark. Got a very good night's sleep and wasn't disturbed by anything or anyone! The room also had a flat screen TV, tea and coffee and a stocked mini-bar.
We didn't have breakfast so can't comment on that.
All in all, a very good base perhaps not for longer than a week, but certainly an excellent location for a couple of days if you only want to see the castle and its surrounds (we drove through Carcossonne and it's best people stay in the town itself for a longer period as there's more going on). The staff spoke good English, were helpful when needed, and generally speaking it felt like we were in a much higher standard of hotel than a three-star. It's a shame other people had bad experiences; I think it can depend on the room you're allocated, and what your expectations are.
It would be helpful if the hotel signposted from outside the walls, much like other hotels do, just to help the non-sat nav holidaymakers of the world.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Joyful3179

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Manchester, England
Reviewed 13 August 2010

We spent 2 nights here on a driving tour of the area. It was great to be in the city after the crowds had gone although some of the restaurant close early so watch that. The hotel was good and we had a nice room within the main building. I would not want to spend 2 weeks there but for a two night stay it was perfect and the staff were great.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Beijing
Reviewed 5 August 2010

This is one of two hotels inside the old city of Carcassonne, and it is well worth getting in if you can, for the "experience" and convenience of staying inside the walls, rather than down the hill in the new town. We found the staff courteous and helpful, and our room (#19) while tucked away at the back was clean and had everything we needed. There were NO distracting noises to concern us. The breakfast was delivered to the room and was delightfully presented and fresh, and well worth a "premium" price. Parking was not an issue as it was pleasantly handled by the staff in the car park. We wanted to stay another night but the hotel was booked out. This was my fourth visit to Carcassonne over the years, the second time to stay inside the walls, and I was not disappointed. I can't believe the negativity of some others here!

Ireland
Reviewed 3 August 2010

I stayed here for 3 nights in July 2010 as part of a 2 week holiday travelling around France. This was by far my favourite hotel. Our room was in the main Le Donjon building with a view over the rooftops to the fort. The room was big - huge bed and what seemed an extra bed that proved a useful storage base for suitcases! Room was very pretty and atmospheric with an 'exposed' wall of stone and beams that may or may not have been 'fake'. The bathroom was fantastic - walk in 'wet room' type shower with huge showerhead. It looked very modern and clean. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I stayed in and the air conditioning was great in the stuffy Cité. Our rate included breakfast so we took it in the pretty shaded garden each morning. The breakfast was very good - apart from the usual cereals and bread/croissants, there was a great selection of fresh fruit. Staff were very friendly and helpful and we were given a lift with our suitcases to the bus stop on the edge of the Cite. There was also free Wifi and a pc that guests could use with internet access and a printer.
I have read some of the other reviews and am surprised that others did not have such a pleasant stay. It seems to be based on where your room is. We were in the main Donjon building and looks like that is the place to be. I would recommend this hotel.

Carcassonne, France
Reviewed 30 July 2010

Although the hotel is in a great location I agree with the comments of Chris and Georgie from Perth. I had reserved a privilege room back in February. The room itself was extremely disappointing. It was drab and gloomy with a view out onto a stone wall, the shower looked as though it hadn't been cleaned in weeks and within the first hour a wall light had fallen off the bathroom wall. We were also in the annexe and while we weren't really disturbed at all by noise the building had a general feeling of neglect about it. I noticed from a floor plan that our room was the smallest in the annexe but was re-assured by hotel staff that it was a good room. I remain unconvinced. Information provided in the room was poor, we didn't see a glimpse of the gardens advertised on the web site. Information on parking is also confusing and the hotel web site does not make it clear that you are unlikely to be able to get a medium sized car down the narrow streets to make use of the hotel parking. During the summer months the city is closed to private cars until after 7pm. The man who collected us from the car park outside of the city was very helpful and friendly though. I wouldn't stay there again or recommend it to others. I can't comment on the quality of breakfast but this costs 12 euros. You can get a similar breakfast from several restaurants for 5 euros. After being so disappointed with our room I wasn't inclined to spend any money in the restaurant either so can't comment on the food there. Top tip - visit Carcassonne and if you stay at the Best Western make sure you are not allocated room 15.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 July 2010

I was't expecting much from a Best Western but this one was fine. Its in a great location, right in the heart of the medieval city. We found the hotel car park -outside the castle walls - easily with a GPS but would be difficult without. However, we were collected promptly and had great ride down very narrow streets to the hotel, which is split into two buildings. We were in the quieter part which has a small room, comfortable and clean and then a patio with table and chairs. I think this is the better part to stay in as the other building is next to a pub and can be noisy. There is not much choice of accommodation if wanting to stay right in the medieval city - we went to look at Hotel de la Cite which is beautiful but very expensive. Le Donjon was perfect for a short stay.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 24 July 2010

Of the 3 weeks we have been staying in France, this hotel was our worst stay by a country mile. The front desk service is cold and unfriendly, unlike many other hotels throughout France. We were sent like so many other reviewers here down the street to a different building the 'ramparts' which is joyfully located betwen a haunted house themed attraction and a pub, so its screams all day and music, shouting and boozing till 2am. Every time someone came into the building, which has no security guard, front desk or staff of any description, the heavy main entrance door would slam - yet another constant loud distracting noise, making sleep difficult or impossible.

Fortunately for us, after our drive down from the Pyreneese we were dead tired and just plugged in the ear stops and plane eye masks and managed to get to sleep after a few hours of mayhem. The girl at the front desk indignantly rushed me through the wifi setup and after attempting to connect I called her back and she sighed and moaned and treated me as if I was a fool, and proceeded to spell it out to me as if I were a two year old, complete with "G for Japan" - Aha! I think I found the mistake...

in addition to being unbearably loud, therre were a number of appliances in the room not working such as bedside light, and the showerhead being jammed.

Some of the reviews for this hotel seem polluted by people raving about how nice Carcassonne is - and they are right - Carcassonne is lovely, if a little "Disneyfied", but we aren't reviewing the city here are we...

For 133 Euros for the night if you get jammed in the annex building you will definitely regret it. I would not under any circumstances recommend this hotel as the staff location and price are all terrible.

5 Thank Chris_and_Georgie