“Aggressive owner”

Le Domaine d'Auriac
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Booked a superior room for 3 nights. On arrival we were told we had been upgraded which means they had given our room to somebody else. The suite we were shown, decorated in a jaundice yellow and rather depressing, had a study as the first space, a sitting room, an adjoining bedroom and a bathroom. We realised before we had unpacked, the bathroom though large had no toilet. The toilet was off a door in the study and although a large space had no basin. Realising we, not so young, might use the loo at night, didn't fancy a 25 step trek from loo to bathroom. We asked if they had another room (our booked room had been given away). We were shown a lower grade room and decided we would stay put.
The following morning, eating a very ungenerous and expensive breakfast in the dining room, the proprietor Madame approached our table and asked why we were not happy with the room. A conversation ensued about toilet/ bathroom etc until my husband said he had had enough about the subject and could we be left to get on with our meal.
Later I went to the front desk to ask about the weather forecast and Madame, who was there, said as we were not happy with her hotel she wanted us to leave. She would find us another hotel. I was shocked and went to my husband back in the room. We agreed as we only had two more nights why should we leave. Coming back down to go out for the day, again Madame harangued us very aggressively. We did not respond in kind. My husband offered his hand and suggested to Madame we should be 'friends' and we went out! Beware of incurring Madame's displeasure. You too may be made to feel as unwelcome as we were.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Nova W
MHRC11, Propriétaire at Le Domaine d'Auriac, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Madame,
You know perfectly that everything is due to your disrespectful and inappropriate behavior to my collaborators and myself, that I asked you to leave the Domaine d’Auriac. When Monsieur said to me to be my friend , I understood that he know as you were.
This is a pity to notice that you still carry on being dishonest and your hanger push you to write those lying remarks! I do feel deeply sorry for you.
Thankfully all our hotel guest are not like you and, on comparison to you feelings and your bad notification, you can notice that we could satisfy other guests but maybe it is only a question of education…
Marie-Hélène Rigaudis-Calvet

Reviewed 29 August 2013

We overall enjoyed our stay at the chateau. In general it is well appointed and the staff are very friendly.

The biggest issue is the prices of the food. We stayed in France for two weeks so had plenty of other establishments to compare it with.

The food and service is very nice but probably 20% too expensive.

The main menu at €115 is steep, but when you add in tea at €8, Badoit at €7.7, and the glasses of wine ranging from €15-€19 it begins to get very expensive. Best option is a bottle of cheaper local wine at €25.

The Regional menu is €67, but I felt the Cassoulet which was the main course was rather bland.

If you prefer to go a la carte, starters and mains both at €28 and upwards is OK for the mains but a bit steep for the starters.

The alternative is to go to the Bistro in the grounds which offers excellent food at reasonable prices. Its closed on Sundays.

Otherwise the showers in the bath in the bedrooms are so low that an average person struggles to use them. The bedrooms are nicely appointed and very nice otherwise.

The breakfast is very nice.

Overall we enjoyed our stay so if you are happy with the above its a great place.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PutneyPLondon
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We have just returned from this lovely hotel, we used a Fleetwood Travel deal £400 each for flights to Carcassonne, car hire including all insurance, three nights at Le Domaine d'Auriac and one meal in their Michelline starred restaurant. I would highly recommend this deal it was brilliant value for money.

First the flights Ryannair with onboard one bag max weight 10kg so very limited liquids allowed. Carcassonne airport has no facilities 2 ladies & 2 gents toilets and some very expensive vending machines is all once you go through passport control so don't go too early.

Car Hire fantastic and easy got a peugeot 208 with on board sat nav. Made life really easy.

Hotel is stuffed with random stuff but comfortable. The first room they offered us had a wardrobe with about a foot of space between the coat hanger and expresso coffee machine which was on the fridge so was unusable. There was nowhere for us to put our stuff so I complained, at first they asked me to pay more money but I refused as I believe all hotels should have some hanging space/drawers. Eventually, they gave us another room which was large, comfortable and what we should have got originally. Everything supplied as would be expected in lovely big bathroom but no body lotion or hair conditioner. That caught me out as I had not brought anything like that with me.so had to buy it. A sign in the room said the nightly charge was 365 Euros! There is a swimming pool and golf course

Restaurant was really fabulous and our included meal was brilliant. We ate there again on our last night and the bill when we left the hotel was £360.00 as everything there was so very expensive. Breakfast was delicious.

I would only stay here if I got a really good deal.

Room Tip: Don't accept a room with no storage space
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Marie-Helene absolutely the best. Nothing was too much trouble. Wonderful hotel and rooms, wonderful location, wonderful service – 5*. Lots of help with tours, activities and transfers. Always a wonderful service and always with a smile. An excellent Relais et Chateaux hotel - does the group proud. Would definitely visit again!

Her husband, Philippe’s, bar and restaurant in La Cite does a mean cocktail! We didn’t stay but clearly a great place to party!

Olga

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 July 2013

A hidden gem. Idyllic setting. From arrival to departure Madame and staff make your stay special . Professional and friendly at all times. Truly memorable restaurant. Quaint accommodation. Peaceful inside and out.
Not golfers so cannot comment on course or bistro.
But cannot praise everything else highly enough.

1  Thank smart1darlo
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Wonderful location. Short drive to the lovely Cité de Carcassone. The staff did everything to make our stay comfortable. Very good restaurant; had a memorable dinner. The price is steep but the food deserves it. Breakfast is a little expensive and not as good as expected. We wanted a Continental breakfast but had no option but to take the Euro 24 menu per passenger, which included other things. Played golf in the adjacent links. Fun course with many slopes and variations. Greens and fairways in very good condition. There has been excessive tree planting (unnecessary for the strategy of play), presumably by a landscaper, not a golf architect. One very bad note is that we finished playing at 2:15 PM and couldn't have anything to eat at the course bar. We asked for a sandwich and they told us the "kitchen was closed."

1  Thank ben947
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Le Domaine D'Auriac is an excellent family run hotel. They make the extra effort to ensure that you have a good stay. I was a little sceptical about the in-house gastronomic restaurant but once I tried it, I realised that it offered a very high standard and can definitely be recommended. We were fortunate to have good weather and it was a pleasure to take the Domaine breakfast on the terrace.