“Espace Cite Hotel CARCASSONNE”
Review of Hotel Espace Cite

Hotel Espace Cite
Ranked #14 of 39 Hotels in Carcassonne
Aberdeen
“Espace Cite Hotel CARCASSONNE”
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Stayed for one night at the end of two week's holiday in Carcassonne. Two star so didn't expect anything palacious. What you get is a small but well fitted bedroom, comfy and clean bed and lovely modern bathroom. Continental breakfast with a good choice and lovely view of the old cite from the dining room. Found the reception staff extremely friendly...their English reasonably good.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Greek first
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 1 June 2012

OK, I know that rooms in Europe are often small. This one certainly was, but the location was great (we had a view of La Cite), the parking was free and the price wasn't bad. The trouble was with the bathroom and the service. We returned home in the evening to find a leak from the toilet. The leak was in the pipe carrying waste water from the toilet out of the room. That meant we were getting used toilet water on our floor. We called downstairs, and the night desk guy spoke no English. I finally did manage to communicate the problem, but he indicated there was nothing he could do, and there were no empty rooms we could move to. He did bring a few extra towels so we could mop up the water. In the morning, we reported the problem again to the English-speaking staff, but there was no effort to make things right by discounting or even comping the room. There was some staining behind the toilet, so it was obvious that this was an ongoing problem. We even responded to a satisfaction survey from the hotel chain, but we were never contacted by management. We will never stay at this hotel or other hotels in the chain again.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Smart and newly built, from the outside this hotel looks OK. Its on the inside where the problems are. The breakfast was fine for the usual continental stuff, the hotel was clean. main problem was what happened to friends of ours staying in the next room to us. Cash was taken from a wallet inside a suitcase in a locked hotel room. He didnt notice until back in the UK so hasnt got much of a leg to stand on (no police report). He contacted the hotel chain and they basically say - tough, youre on your own. Same story from the insurance company. The room keys are on a rack near reception and easily accessible to anybody passing. We'll never know...........

Room-wise there are a few problems. Tiny rooms with no bedside tables and a curious glass wall in the bathroom. Going to the bathroom at night was interesting because putting the light on (when you could find the switch that is) flooded the bedroom with light and woke the wife!
As for being in the bedroom when someone is using the toilet........ I'm sure you can imagine.

Although the majority of the hotel experience was on the side of OK, these things obviously have an effect and we wont be staying there again. In fact because of the tone of reply we've had from the hotel chain, we wont be staying in any of their other hotels either. Nor will anyone else I know. What happened to customer service....??

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RogerBolton
Lyon, France
Reviewed 13 October 2011

When we two septagenarians showed up with our suitcases in tow, nobody offered to help us with them. Aside from that, the hotel is quite ok. Rooms are small but clean and comfortable. And it is a 5-minute walk (really!) from the Cité. Breakfast was average, neither inspiring nor bad. All in all, an ok stay.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
England
Reviewed 2 October 2011

I would have given this hotel a rating of four were it not for the morning staff who I had the misfortune of encountering today.
I arrived, heavy rucksack in tow and hoping for a reasonably pain and hassle free experience and this proved not to be the case.
The hotel was booked in a hurry last night (directly via the hotel's website rather than through a third party site - Incidentally, the prices were the same) and duly received an email confirming my reservation and booking reference.
When I arrived at the hotel (at 11:45am) the two men at the reception desk seemed to be "put out" when I asked if they had received my reservation. I did not have the booking reference to hand, but was prepared to take out my laptop to search through my emails to find the same. They seemed to find that rather annoying as well.
It was simply a very bizarre checking in experience for want of a better word. They spent time talking amongst themselves and ignored the fact that I was standing there waiting for some indication that they were aware of my booking. When I tried to ask them if they had located it (following a further 15 minute wait in silence), I was hushed, as if I was asking something forbidden. Very odd indeed.
Finally when they decided that it was time to deal with me, I was told they had found the booking. I explained that I preferred not to pay by credit card but with cash. That seemed to further annoy them. Finally after paying, I requested both a receipt for the payment (after all when they had left for the day, I did not want the morning staff requesting payment again) and also the code for the wi-fi they have (which is free). Yet again, my requests seemed to further annoy them.

I have to say, the entire booking in experience had a semblance of them making me feel as if they were doing me a favour by taking my money and allowing me to stay there. This given the fact that there are hotels scattered up and down the same road where this one is based.

That aside, the hotel does have a few advantages:
1) It is based approximately 300 metres away from the walled city, castle, etc. So the proximity is a plus
2) The double room which I had booked was clean, modern and well appointed with tv (not sure if there were any English channels), bathroom toiletries and wi-fi

The only disadvantages I could see where that:
1) There was only a shower in the bathroom and no bath (although there may very well be rooms available with both)
2) The room although pleasant for a double, would, I suspect be a little cramped for two people.
3) There is no restaurant within the hotel (although Breakfast is available here at a cost of 8 euros) - There is a breakfast room on the first floor. I suspect that the reason that this hotel has two stars rather than three is simply because it does not have a restaurant. The bedroom itself was certainly a conservative 3.5 stars

It's simply a shame that the hotel, from my perspective, was let down by the rudeness of the morning staff. One consolation was that they were gone by 3pm and the replacement receptionist was entirely different and far more accommodating.

Room Tip: I asked for a room with a good view and was given a room with a view of the side pavement - You can...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank goddesshekate
Pebble Beach, California
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We stayed here for only one night during a 3 week trip of SW France, as I wanted to see Carcassonne and could only fit in a day trip in our itinerary. The room was newly remodeled, and as functional as could be for such a small space. The bed was flanked by one small cabinet/shelving units on my side and a similar unit with a tiny desk on the other. My suitcase just fit on the floor between the bed and the wall and my hubby put his under the desk when not in use. The bathroom was similarly proportioned. We tend not to spend much time in hotel rooms when traveling, so this worked for us - but there would have been not much space for relaxation if we had wished to hang out there. Our window overlooked the side driveway/parking area, and it was extremely quiet. We had some difficulty with the door lock and had a spirited discussion with the gregarious front desk man about whether the problem was with the lock or our understanding of how to do it properly (how many ways are there to lock a door??).

It was only a short walk up to the medieval city or down into the new town. We hiked down to the bridge at night to take pictures of the lighted city, and felt quite safe. We had breakfast at the hotel (unremarkable).

All in all, it was a decent room in a hotel with a good location. If you need more space, the rooms here won't work for you!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank TracyTraveler
Gold Coast
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We stayed in Carcassonne as a stop over driving from Lyon to Biarritz, for just one night. As such we just wanted reasonably priced accommodation close to the castle with parking. The Espace fit the bill, though is definitely more like a good motel than a hotel. Rooms are small but clean and the toilet is virtually part of the shower. All in all, one night in Carcasonne ( not sure why the French rave about it) and the Espace hotel is all you
need.