“When is a 3 star not a 3 star” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Montmorency
Ranked #8 of 39 Hotels in Carcassonne
Dublin, Ireland
“When is a 3 star not a 3 star”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

This hotel was listed as a 3 star on the site I booked it (as it is on other sites also). When I arrived at the hotel the sign outside indicated it was a 2 star. The literature in the bedroom said it was 3 star so I asked at reception if it was 2 or 3 and the receptionist replied it was 2 star and that its sister hotel was the 3 star. To confuse matters the sister hotel Le Chateau is listed as a 4 star on the websites but again at the hotel it is listed as both.
I knew from looking at other travellers reviews that you checked in at Le Chateau if you were staying at the Montmorency but as I gave the taxi driver the address of the Montmorency I thought that was where he was leaving me. The sign outside gave both names so I thought that it was now possible to check into the Montmorency itself. I went to check in and as I was early was happy to leave my bags in reception until room was ready. The receptionist told me that my bags would be in my room when I returned. I came back two hours later, my room was ready but my bags were still in reception. I was then directed across the road and realised the taxi had left me at the sister hotel. That is where the problem started. You arrive at a hotel you think you are going to be staying in and then get something less. My room was tiny and had a musty smell though the bed linen and bathroom were spotless. It was definitely 2 star accommodation and no way was 3 star. As I was only staying overnight I didnt look for an upgrade but if I was staying any longer I definitely would not have stayed in that room. It is not the type of room that you would want to come back to so that you can relax before going out again. I believe that this hotel has been recently renovated. I don't think my bedroom was included in the renovation. I asked the receptionist that evening where the airport shuttle stop was for the airport and she said she didnt know even though it was across the road??
Now for the positive about this hotel. The location is fantastic. Right beside the old town. The airport shuttle is across the road and costs €5 per person and takes about 10 min. The new town is a 20 minute walk from the hotel, some of it downhill. There are loads of restaurants in the old town and a good atmostphere. It is, as expected, very touristy so expect loads of them. I would not stay in this hotel again but would consider the sister hotel but they need to get there star rating sorted. I didnt book a 2star but thats what I got.

Room Tip: If money only allows a stay in this hotel then pick a room to the front. The one that I was in was o...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Surrey, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

A good location just outside the main entrance to the walled city. Reception and other facilities (car park and swimming pool) are actually across the road in the Hotel du Chateau. A great choice if you're driving - easy to find and a private car park. - whereas hotels in the city are less convenient.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012 via mobile

We only stayed at the hotel for two nights, but we couldn't have picked a better location. It was only a 5 minute walk to the old city. We were in room 44 which had a small balcony with a view to the old city, which looked great all lit up at night. The room was good, but as may be normal in France, had no tea/coffee making facilities. The external balcony door/window had external shutters, which when closed, completely excluded any external light. We had a great sleep. We woke up around 8:45 and I thought it must have have been 4am. It should be noted that the reception is in the hotel opposite, (hotel chateau) as is the car park (10 euros per night). Access to hotel montmorency is by access code only. Great stay!

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Widnes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

This hotel is great for location. Right opposite is La Cite and you can sit in the nice outside bar area of the sister hotel looking up at it all lit up at night. There is also a small outside pool and jacuzzi. The staff were nice and friendly. The room we stayed in was clean and tidy with a reasonable sized en suite. Not a room you would want to spend a lot of time in unless..... your favourite colour is orange! Everything, walls, lamps, bed cover, etc. Felt like we had been tangoed! However, with the price paid it was good value and we do not go somewhere to spend long in our room. We enjoyed hiring bikes and cycling along the canal as well as the atmospheric historical parts. We never took breakfast so can't comment on that.

Room Tip: We had no view or balcony so it might be paying a bit more for that.
The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

Location of the hotel is ideal, across the street from "La Cite". Deffinitely more like a 3 star hotel than 2 star. We were in the comtemporary room, which is nice and modern. The hotel has a very nice bar with an outstanding view over La Cite where we could enjoy drinks in the evening. There is no restaurant, however the bar serves tapas.

Breakfasr is simple but of a very good quality.

The contemporary room although nice is a bit on the small size. The airco is blowing directly towards the bed making it difficult to use it in the night.

If you are staying in this hotel you can use the pool facilities from the hotel Le Chateau, however you do not get a towel. The lady at the reception was rather rude with us when we asked about towels, indicating something like "you're in a 2 star hotel, you can enjoy the faclities of the 3 star but you do not get towels". Maybe something they should put on their website ... Or thye could even charge something for the towels.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dorset, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012

This hotel is the perfect position to visit La Citie, which is just across the road.Although we would have liked the room and en suite to have been larger it was comfortable and spotlessly clean.There was always plenty of hot water and clean towels supplied each day.Air con was excellent.Nice pool available for a swim after a day of sightseeing.
Excellent bus service from airport to just outside hotel 5euros each 10 min. ride.

Kuwait City, Kuwait
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2012

We were a group of 8 who booked two rooms, they have a few townhouses across the road for larger numbers so we stayed there. The interior was recently modernised with all Ikea furniture, fittings and wall art. The livingroom was a nice size with a spiral stairway leading up but it had no handrail or bnister - completely open! We had kids too, so this was not completed wit safety in mind. The bedroms were all tastefully decorated but there was no air conditioning at all. Instead there were large floor fans in all the bedrooms - not the same as a/c. There was a loft bedroom, again sairway unprotected and steep but kids liked the loft idea so there were going to stay there. There was another door leading from there to the other half of th building but obviously wasn't completed or insulated and there was a gap in the door...... next thing we notice a BAT, yes, a BAT flying around one of the main bedrooms a floor lower down. It kept going around in circles, we went across to the main hotel to tell them and they looked at me as if I was making it up! Then they sent a young ladsy with a floor brrom to get it out!! Poor girl, patio doors open and all it took some time to get it out as it was disoriented. Then we noticed a nest under one of the windows and lots of bird droppings.
The bathroom shower had a wall of glass blocks dividing it and the hallway, again who would do this?!
It looks like it was completed in a hurry for the busy summer season without beingthought out fully.
There is no wifi available either,which was supposed to be included. No phone either so when you needed reception, etc you had to walk across the road to the main hotel lobby with every request...... not great service by any means.
No apologies, no compensation, no management in sight on either day. Staff scarce, long wait times for abreakfast tables, etc.
Great location but that's their best point. You have a lot of work to do.

Room Tip: DO NOT stay in their townhouses across the road!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends