“Good location, nice rooms, costly extras”
Review of Hotel Montmorency

Hotel Montmorency
Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in Carcassonne
London, United Kingdom
“Good location, nice rooms, costly extras”
Reviewed 5 October 2012 via mobile

Hotel is actually spilt into 2 parts, with this part an annex with just guest rooms. The main hotel is over the road and contains the bar, dining room, terrace and pool. The positives were; great location right by the castle/chateaux grounds, nice outside bar area and grounds, really good pool area (which we managed to enjoy in October because it was sheltered), good clean rooms with good facilities. The downsides were; the cost of some of the extras, we stayed 3 nights and had to pay 30 euros for parking, 5 euros for a small beer, 12 euros for a small and average breakfast. One of the rooms (we stayed in two) was bright orange, small and noisy (however the initial, cheaper room, was much nicer. All in all, would I stay again, yes, I'd just ensure I confirmed the room beforehand and avoided the additional costs by buying everything elsewhere.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Aberdeen
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Really an annex of the Hotel de la Chateau, with which it shares a reception area, breakfast room, pool, and parking lot (10 euro per night). Well situated by the gates of the citadel. Rooms in a modern design, but with little storage space for baggage. The bathroom was a poseur's paradise. Adequate breakfast looking up to the walls of the citadel. Free wifi.

Sarlat-la-Caneda, France
Reviewed 29 September 2012

I should first explain that our nights stay at one of the "hotels de charme et design" in Carcassonne was a gift, if it was not, I dont think that I would have got past the intro page of their most annoying website! It's very slow, many of the links do not open, and you cant shut off that horrible background musak. The details of the rooms are not really accurate, and our room at the Motmorencey could in no way be justifiably described as a "junior suite", and it was PINK PINK PINK!!! Furthermore, the Montmorency is not a hotel in its own right, but merely a lower star rated annex to the Hotel du Chateau, just across the road. The reception for the Montmorency is at the Hotel du Chateau, as is the breakfast room. There were no tea/cofee making facilities in the room, and not even a mini bar. We wanted ice, which we had to go across the road for!!

The only thing in the Montmorency's favour is its proximity to the Medievil City, it's right outside the walls, of which our room did have a view!

Room Tip: Dont be misled into thinking that a "junior suite" is a much larger room, our room had an...
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 25 September 2012

This hotel was listed as a 3 star on the site I booked it (as it is on other sites also). When I arrived at the hotel the sign outside indicated it was a 2 star. The literature in the bedroom said it was 3 star so I asked at reception if it was 2 or 3 and the receptionist replied it was 2 star and that its sister hotel was the 3 star. To confuse matters the sister hotel Le Chateau is listed as a 4 star on the websites but again at the hotel it is listed as both.
I knew from looking at other travellers reviews that you checked in at Le Chateau if you were staying at the Montmorency but as I gave the taxi driver the address of the Montmorency I thought that was where he was leaving me. The sign outside gave both names so I thought that it was now possible to check into the Montmorency itself. I went to check in and as I was early was happy to leave my bags in reception until room was ready. The receptionist told me that my bags would be in my room when I returned. I came back two hours later, my room was ready but my bags were still in reception. I was then directed across the road and realised the taxi had left me at the sister hotel. That is where the problem started. You arrive at a hotel you think you are going to be staying in and then get something less. My room was tiny and had a musty smell though the bed linen and bathroom were spotless. It was definitely 2 star accommodation and no way was 3 star. As I was only staying overnight I didnt look for an upgrade but if I was staying any longer I definitely would not have stayed in that room. It is not the type of room that you would want to come back to so that you can relax before going out again. I believe that this hotel has been recently renovated. I don't think my bedroom was included in the renovation. I asked the receptionist that evening where the airport shuttle stop was for the airport and she said she didnt know even though it was across the road??
Now for the positive about this hotel. The location is fantastic. Right beside the old town. The airport shuttle is across the road and costs €5 per person and takes about 10 min. The new town is a 20 minute walk from the hotel, some of it downhill. There are loads of restaurants in the old town and a good atmostphere. It is, as expected, very touristy so expect loads of them. I would not stay in this hotel again but would consider the sister hotel but they need to get there star rating sorted. I didnt book a 2star but thats what I got.

Room Tip: If money only allows a stay in this hotel then pick a room to the front. The one that I was in was o...
Surrey, UK
Reviewed 16 September 2012

A good location just outside the main entrance to the walled city. Reception and other facilities (car park and swimming pool) are actually across the road in the Hotel du Chateau. A great choice if you're driving - easy to find and a private car park. - whereas hotels in the city are less convenient.

Reviewed 14 September 2012 via mobile

We only stayed at the hotel for two nights, but we couldn't have picked a better location. It was only a 5 minute walk to the old city. We were in room 44 which had a small balcony with a view to the old city, which looked great all lit up at night. The room was good, but as may be normal in France, had no tea/coffee making facilities. The external balcony door/window had external shutters, which when closed, completely excluded any external light. We had a great sleep. We woke up around 8:45 and I thought it must have have been 4am. It should be noted that the reception is in the hotel opposite, (hotel chateau) as is the car park (10 euros per night). Access to hotel montmorency is by access code only. Great stay!

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Widnes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2012

This hotel is great for location. Right opposite is La Cite and you can sit in the nice outside bar area of the sister hotel looking up at it all lit up at night. There is also a small outside pool and jacuzzi. The staff were nice and friendly. The room we stayed in was clean and tidy with a reasonable sized en suite. Not a room you would want to spend a lot of time in unless..... your favourite colour is orange! Everything, walls, lamps, bed cover, etc. Felt like we had been tangoed! However, with the price paid it was good value and we do not go somewhere to spend long in our room. We enjoyed hiring bikes and cycling along the canal as well as the atmospheric historical parts. We never took breakfast so can't comment on that.

Room Tip: We had no view or balcony so it might be paying a bit more for that.