“Not for pizza!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Au Four St. Louis
Ranked #13 of 329 Restaurants in Carcassonne
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Cheap Eats, Romantic, Kids, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Not for pizza!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

I came in here for lunch with friends. We all chose the 19 euro set menu. They all had cassoulet while I had a pizza. The entrees were salads and quite ok, my pizza was extremely disappointing. The base was doughy and very different to most pizzas I have had in Italy. I had a pizza last week down in the lower town of Carcassonne and it was fantastic. The tomato sauce/base tasted and appeared to be tinned/bottled paste. Not a proper italian "sugo". The cheese was thick and heavy. In short, I ate a little and left most on the plate. This is not a place for people who have eaten good pizza and know what they should be like.
I cannot comment on the rest of the menu. I would not come back here. For 19 euros I expect better quality......there is a lot of competition.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Wonderful meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

My friend and I popped in hoping for a drink in the evening, but the very pleasant manager explained they only did food in evenings. We inspected the menu and despite planning to eat elsewhere we went in and what an experience, this was one of the nicest meals I have ever had & certainly one of the prettiest. The food was excellent and plentiful and we have some lovely rose wine, and all at a very reasonable price, 60 euros for 2 folk, 3 courses and wine (plus tip/ taxes).
The service was bit slow but we didn't mind as we sat upstairs in lovely setting and chatting with neighbours - couple from Canada. The food was worth the wait, and staff were cheerful and helpful, including the manager/owner son, he was sent upstairs to direct me to the toilettes.
I had the pate fois gras and this was so creamy and came with lovely crusty toast and salad, plus a beautiful apple side cut into lovely design. I then had confit duck and again melt in mouth tasty, and despite being full I managed the wonderful nougat glace. My only comment, I don't personally like asparagus so handed this to my friend, but otherwise not one complaint about the food, the wine or the restaurant.

Strib, Denmark
“Simple, but tasteful food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

We ordered two plates of french charcuterie and a steak. The plates with charcuterie we're really good and cheap too - simple, but fine. Steak was good too - especially the sauce.

Cochrane, Canada
“Great find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

We were looking for somewhere to have local favourites at a reasonable price and this lovely little restaurant exceeded our expectations. Very nice local wine at 9€/L - bottles start at 14€. The salads are delicious - Salad Mr. Sevigny is complemented by fresh goat cheese and adorned with flowers that the server grows in her garden. The Salad du Chef is loaded with fresh, warm mussels. We finished it off by sharing a tasty pizza that can't be beat. Friendly wait staff were very attentive and the atmosphere is truly enchanting.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Brilliant , friendly and a superb meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2013

Went here purely based on trip adviser reviews and we were definitely not disappointed, very small but snug and they cannot do enough for you, had a lovely litre of red for 9euro, salad and then the prawns with fennel and orange , perfectly cooked,fresh and tasty, only in Carcassonne for 3 nights but will go back again it was that good