“A great way to spend a day”
Review of Carcassonne Kitchen - CLOSED

Carcassonne Kitchen
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We spent a very enjoyable few hours in the company of Peter last weekend. He is a very informative and patient tutor. We all learned something new, in fact, my 16 year old daughter is planning to recreate one of the dishes this evening. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Tonytourist

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Peter Woodcock, the owner of 42 rue victor Hugo, is an accomplished chef, even though he is not a professionally trained one. We had a wonderful day scouting and then preparing lunch.

Our session started with a little discussion of his thoughts about food and what to eat and then broadened into discussion of menu and the days logistics.

Following that, we headed to the patisserie, where he gets his bread and other items for the inn, and watched the owner make and cook bread in a oven over 100 years old.

Then, we headed to at our of the vegetable and meat markets. The former was populated by small, local farmers, some with only a few bins for sale. It was incredibly fine produce and very fresh.

The meat, poultry, and fish market was also wonderful, with artisans in each area displaying a whole variety of cuts and items within their area. The displays were wonderful, and the people extremely interesting. We could have lingered there for several hours.

After this, we ended our market tour with a caffe at a restaurant in the square, which was established by a local sports hero from a bygone generation. Only two waiters served the tables, so you had to be patient, lest you be put further down the waiting list - Peter had some good comments about the place, and it was an enjoyable interlude in the process.

Doing the cooking and eating was almost anticlimactic after the wonderful start. However, we had a very enjoyable meal, and, since it was just Peter, my wife, and I, we had great repartee throughout the preparation and eating.

A wonderful day with a wonderful host. I recommend this event highly.

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

A perfect introduction to the food and wine of Carcassone and the surrounding region! I would recommend taking the class early in your visit. Peter gives great tips on where to shop and what to eat!
Relaxed and enjoyable day!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

We have recently visited Peter for a cookery day, and had the most fantastic day. Everything was professional, passionate and friendly, and Peter even emailed the recipes to us afterwards to try at home. We cannot recommend this experience enough, and have even 'sold' the day to two friends of ours for August! Thank you again for a wonderful day!

See more reviews
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Having recently bought a house in the Carcassonne area and with a great interest in food and wine, I thought that Peter's course would be a good way to find out about the food of the region. It really was a perfect introduction! The couple of hours spent visiting the market and Les Halles was a great way to learn about the best providers. Peter gave me some super recommendations for wineries to visit, at my request he included artichokes in the day as I was keen to try them and his chocolate fondant recipe certainly lived up to its reputation, the best I have ever tasted!