“Basic, friendly, cheap”

Ranked #38 of 39 Hotels in Carcassonne
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Basic, friendly, cheap”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We booked this hotel as we were coming to Carcassone for a wedding. We were looking for somewhere cheap and cheerful in a central location. This hotel is right on the canal and we had a room looking over it (the rooms at the back look onto an alleyway and I would advise to specifically ask for a canal facing room when booking and checking in). It is very handy for everything in Carcassone. It was about a 25 minute walk from the hotel to the old town through lovely little streets. I think we must have had one of the best rooms with one of only two balconies (just bigger than a juliette). The bed was hard but comfortable and the room was clean but basic. It had a bath and the room was clean. This is all we wanted from this hotel and so we were not disappointed. The hotel receptionist was very friendly and helpful and the family dog lounges around reception looking very cute. The complimentary wifi was absolutely terrible and knocks you off every 2 mins and it is a nightmare trying to get back onto it (this was our experience with our iphones and ipads, but i read on other reviews that pc users had better luck).
Wouldn't rush back but would recommend for a cheap weekend away if you're planning being out most of the day anyway.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony over looking the canal, don't stay in a room at the back of the ho...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GreenhillFillie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2013

This might not be the smartest place to stay in town but I just spent a very comfortable 4 nights there. It has obviously seen better days but my room was clean and comfortable. I asked for a room overlooking the canal which I would recommend. As i expressed concern in an e mail, after reading reviews on Trip advisor, I was given a very spacious room. It had a double bed but there was also a room off with 2 single beds which could be used by families.

If anything they were a little bit laid back......I was able to come and go, collecting and depositing my own key at a desk which was not always attended.
I did not take breakfast, nor did I realise there was a computer off the foyer until my last day there.
Its position was perfect for the town and the station. The airport bus dropped and collected practically at its door.
I would stay there again.
The toilet was clean and separate from the bath. There was no problem with drains or smells.

Room Tip: Ask for room 229 or at least a room overlooking the canal
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Cathirene
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Stayed here one night to ensure easy morning connection to airport and found the room to be adequate and clean but not particularly comfortable. It has a great location to the station but there's not much more positives I can really mention.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Fiona B

Travellers are raving about these Carcassonne hotels

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 30 May 2013

The best thing about this place is that it is directly across from the train station. I paid $115 US for two nights in this craphole. I left the bathroom door open the first night and it made me physically ill. It is not plumbed correctly and the toilet/bath/sink drain vents into the room. The carpet was so dirty I wore my shoes everywhere except the bed and tub. There was no shower, only a hand-held and a 2.5 foot tub. When I turned down the sheets on the bed I found 5 long, dark hairs, but no signs of bed bugs, so that's a plus. Another plus was the view of La Cite from my 6 inch balcony. Great for long distance photos. When I tried to lock my door it wouldn't shut because there was a screw that was supposed to hold the doorframe in place that had fallen out. All three days I was there, the room across from mine was open with the broken furniture lining the hallway. I did have wifi in my room (that I had to keep reconnecting to every 10 minutes or so), but apparently not all rooms have this luxury because they also provided me with a different access code for the lobby wifi incase the one in my room didn't work. If it wasn't for the semi-working wifi in my room, I would have asked for my money back and gone elsewhere. I had problems making a collect call to the US and after arguing with the receptionist in English and Spanish, I finally figured out it was because they have to turn your phone service on. THIS IS NOT A THREE STAR HOTEL. It isn't even a one star hotel. It is a craphole with creepy furnishings and a great location that wants you to pay 9.50 for a breakfast you can get 20 meters away for 4 euros.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank gettingworldly
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2013 via mobile

Had 3 great days in Carcassonne the Hotel Bristol was exactly what I expected, wallpaper from mid 70's showers that don't really give consistent temperature, and have low pressure, and carpets that have seen 20 year wear, that's just what provincial French hotels are like, so no Suprises, if you want modern and reliable then go somewhere else, not a different hotel, but a different country..... The place was great value for money, and the people very nice, I always try and speak the local language if possible, but if you can't these guys are fluent English speakers.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank james w
Paignton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Most of the reviews are correct the hotel is a bit dated . But we were given a room overlooking the Canal Du Midi, there is a lock right outside the hotel and you could easily spend an hour watching the boats. Well placed for the Town centre,Trains, Canal trips & Airport Bus. And the price was certainly good. Would go back again if visiting Carcassonne again. Only negative was the locals who use the bank of the canal as a drinkers meeting area but they never gave us any problems.

Room Tip: Front facing rooms for the view . Rear facing rooms will have less noise but you lose the view.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple