“Great location on a budget”
Review of Hotel Bristol

Hotel Bristol
Ranked #37 of 39 Hotels in Carcassonne
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

After reading reviews of this hotel I was nervous about staying but I was surprised. The hotel is located next to the canal and opposite the train station. You can get the shuttle service to and from the airport for 5e each and takes 10min. All around the hotel are bars, restaurants and shops so plenty to choose from. Its a 20-30min walk to the castle which was great.
Now the hotel... I love old, unique buildings that hold history and this hotel is one. its clean and tidy and full of character. The reception were great always there to help, She gave us a map which is useful and directions. We were offered breakfast every night and only had it on the first day as chose to lie in the rest. The breakfast was continental with plenty to choose from and all fresh.
Our room was on the second floor over looking the canal with great views. It was dated but it had a clean comfortable bed that was made every day and clean towels too. There was a tv but no drinks maker but we did get water from reception. If you want 5* book one this is a budget hotel and you get what you pay for.
We loved are stay here and I would recommend it if you want a cheap hotel in a great location!.
My only down side was the club next door but after lots of local wine I had no trouble sleeping we even joined them one night.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Louise R

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Hotel in center of town and suitable to wander round Carcassonne by foot. Hotel car park tight but satisfactory. Near old city and many eateries. Staff very friendly and informative,but that is where it ends.
The hotel is very tired and run down. Facilities need a right good clean,prompting us not to chance breakfast.
Hotel (hostel) is fine for one night only but I think any longer and you would cancel second night

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank richard m
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This hotel is located right across the river from the train station, in the heart of the "new" city. The old city of Carcassonne is about a 30 minute walk away, but it's an easy walk and much preferred over staying in the busy, overpriced tourist area of the old city itself. Room was clean and cute, reception was polite. Would recommend if you don't mind walking into the old city and if you want a nice accommodation at a low cost!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah P
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This hotel is over priced and is little more than an over rated backpackers hostel. We had a kettle but no coffee, 1 tea bag and a sugar lump. Toiletries were non existent. We asked for coffee and were told we could pay for room service. The place is an absolute disappointment. The best part is the location to shops and cafés.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Everything reviewed about his hotel is probably true - the place is a lovely old building next to the canal and close to the city centre.. It has a garage which is a definite bonus if you can get in - we had to wait 30 minutes while the laundry van blocked the entrance. The rooms are okay but a bit tired, the towels are like dish cloths and the other residents are noisy. The lift only went up to the first floor so suitcases have to be lugged up the uneven staircase. The pretty lady on reception was very helpful and didn't even ask for passports so we suspect this might be a good place for 'liaisons'!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ivyholme
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Hôtel Bristol is situated in an old building right across the train station (Gare de Carcassonne), and at the heart of the lower city. It's very easy to reach, not only because the train station is less than a minute's walk away, but also because the bus from the airport stops right in front of the station. All you have to do to reach the hotel is cross the Pont Marengo (bridge) and you're there. From Hôtel Bristol it's (at leisurely pace) a 30 minute walk to the medieval city, or in French: 'La Cité Médiévale'. And it's not a boring walk as you'll pass plenty of shops, bistros, restaurants, French architecture, and modern and traditional street art.

That being said, the website of the hotel itself boasts 'breathtaking views' on Canal du Midi, a restaurant, and more. I went in late March so I can't say if this counts for high season as well, but the restaurant was decidedly closed while I was there. Also, the views are nice, interesting, but you won't be overwhelmed by visual beauty. Canal du Midi must be appreciated for its design,length, and functionality (you can read about that on the UNESCO World Heritage website), but the sights on it are far from dazzling, at least when looking at it from the hotel windows.

The personnel was friendly enough, but as a visitor who spoke little to no French I noticed them get crankier as my stay continued. They don't speak English, or little to none. Additionally, the rooms don't include tea or coffee making facilities, but they will bring you coffee in your room. At 4 PM they may look surprised at your request, but they'll make it for you. If they're busy they'll tell you to come and pick it up yourself. If they bring it they make take 30 minutes to an hour, depending on how busy they are, and then they may charge you for a full breakfast instead of the coffee you had. When you ring to the reception to order a coffee, a not-at-all-English speaking staff member may answer the phone and mistake your coffee order for a breakfast order. All of this happened to me, the mistake with the coffee/breakfast happened to me twice (even when I made clear in French that I didn't want 'le petit dejeuner' the second time - I have no idea where that went wrong),and I didn't find out about the bill until I was at the airport.

As for breakfast, they'll bring it to your room on your request, but expect it to be a little meager, and perhaps not actually fresh. If you really want to have your breakfast there, I'd recommend eating in the restaurant so you'll have the possibility to choose.

So if the service was that bad, then why am I giving it 3 out of 5. Well, despite of what I read here on TripAdvisor, my room was very clean. I won't deny the mould on the bathroom ceiling, or the cracks in the plinths, but it's an old building (and I think the cracks add to its charm). Additionally, my room was spacious, with two large windows from floor to ceiling, and I had a little balcony. The mattrass was old but it was deliciously soft and I slept like a baby each night. I should probably mention that there's a club right next to the hotel, so in the weekends it can get noisy. It didn't bother me as I like the bustle, but I can imagine it's bothersome if you really want to catch your sleep.
Also there was free, fast Wi-Fi. The staff member couldn't explain this to me as she didn't speak a lot of English, but you get Wi-Fi for 24 hours (code on a receipt). At first I thought I had to ask for a new code the next day, but it only runs out when you actually use it, so not until you've effectively used up 24 hours of online access. The reception also has loads of leaflets, flyers, and free maps of Carcassonne and the surrounding area, which can be convenient for those who come without a plan.

Since I travel as much as I can, I'm mostly a budget traveler. This hotel, despite the staff, was perfect. Seeing as I don't travel for luxury, I had a comfortable, decent place to sleep, and surrounded by lots of places to eat. Just walk out of the hotel, go left, then go left again, and there are two bistros on the same block. Also nearby are pizzerias, a FANTASTIC (note capital letters) little restaurant called Le Massilia (looks worn on the outside, but crazy cheap and super delicious good food, I'm not even kidding - go right from the hotel and it's on the other side of the road, slightly to your right), and there's a supermarket opposite of the square.

Just one thing: if you're a coffee addict like me, bring your own coffee making facilities, or maybe ask the staff if they can provide it (and then hope they won't misunderstand). All together a reasonable place for a reasonable price for those who don't need much.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Sabrina V
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I booked a double room with a canal view and got a twin room with a view of a building. No canal in sight. There wasn't a kettle in the room so the staff told us we could use the coffee machine in the breakfast room and we were disgusted to be presented with a bill for €100 for the coffee at the end of the week!
Room service only came twice to tidy/empty bins/replenish toiletries etc and not once were the towels changed.
Breakfast was an utter disgrace at €9.50 per person with only a small selection of mini croissants and cereal.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple