All reviews basset hound bar breakfast area old city walled city apple juice glass wall perfect location lovely hotel double sinks private parking lot main entrance toilet and shower loved this hotel du chateau deluxe room porte narbonnaise secure parking
Reviewed 12 June 2013

We stayed at the Hotel du Chateau just outside the main gate of the medieval cite. It was a
incredible experience. The hotel is so very charming, the room that we had in the grounds was
just beautiful, very comfortable in every way. My only complaint is that there was no coffee maker in the room. Other than that it was perfect. The staff were very helpful and nice and the owners
have three adorable pets, two dogs and a cat that roam freely. It felt more like a private home.
I would recommend it to anyone going to Carcassonne.

Room tip: Ask for a ground floor room, otherwise be prepared for stairs.
Reviewed 11 June 2013

You only need 1 day for Carcassone and this the hotel to choose. Just outside the old city gates, very convenient parking, friendly and efficient staff and a great breakfast. Best of all there are two resident dogs.

Date of stay: June 2013
Reviewed 30 May 2013

On the plus side, the location of the hotel is superb as it is directly opposite the entrance to the old City. However, it did not match up at all to the 4 star rating and left much to be desired.
Our room was very small with hardly any room to store our clothes, in fact there was no drawer space at all. The bathroom was also small especially the shower cubicle and the actual shower lacked power. The rooms were also noisy. The breakfast was priced at 15 Euros per person which was very expensive for what was provided. The food was served at the tables but was extremely restricted. There was no cooked food at all and the choice was poor. The swimming pool was closed despite it being at the end of May with no apology for this. We had no help at all either bringing the luggage to the room or to the car at the end of our stay. We were also charged 10 Euros per day for our car which meant that our total cost per day was 230 Euros. I would suggest that this is extremely expensive for the facilities and service received. To add insult to injury, my request to check out and pay my bill an hour before actually vacating our room was refused as I was told that I was not allowed to pay until the room key was returned. I have never experienced that at any previous hotel and was extremely insulted and annoyed. All in all not value for money

Room tip: Some rooms are larger but even those have insufficient clothes storage
Reviewed 29 May 2013

If you are going to visit La Cite, the walled Medieval town of Carcassonne be sure to research your hotel and book in advance. Do not do what I did and turn up by car looking for somewhere to stay. Otherwise you may, like me, be taken in by this hotel's fantastic location, which is a stone's throw away from the main entrance gate to La Cite with its terrific view of the ancient walls. It is very expensive for what it offers and at approx €200 per room with no restaurant, and small lobby/ reception area which we had to share with 2 large dogs and a cat, it clearly trades on its prime location. However it provided me with a first time ever experience. Upon returning from an evening tour of the Medieval town I went to the small bar, which doubles up as the breakfast room and requested a glass of red wine. To my amazement I was told that the Hotel had no red wine!!!!! In brief don't fall for the location. Go somewhere that offers better facilities and value for money.

1  Thank David P
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The hotel is beautifully situated just across the road from the main gate in to the ramparts. It could not be more convenient and is a pretty building similar to a large farmhouse with a lovely terrace and bar overlooking the ramparts, especially pretty at night when floodlit.
On arrival, having booked a classic double room, we were shown to room 11. It was very small and dark and overlooked the back of the hotel. We hated it and asked at reception if alternatives were available. We were offered room 3, which was a superior double at 20 euros extra. Never has 20 euros been better spent. We had a beautiful room and en suite, spacious with a settee on which we could sit and look out of the window overlooking the front garden and side view of the ramparts. It made a huge difference to our stay.
Breakfast was lovely in the bar overlooking the ramparts with the terrace outside( it was wet).
Secure car parking at 10 euros was an asset. We had a small problem in that having booked and confirmed at last years rates, we were initially charged the increased 2013 rates, but this was readily corrected. The hotel, perhaps, does not offer quite the same value for money as other lovely places we stayed in, but the room price inevitably reflects the excellent location. If you are only here once, pay for a room with a view and you will not regret it.

Room tip: It is definitely worth paying for a more spacious room with a view.