So we spent a few days in the Courtyard last summer and liked it so much we decided to return for a full week this year. Not much has changed - the price is still excellent considering you get a conveniently located four star hotel. (The hotel is right next to the new city administration building in a completely overhauled part of Montpellier, and while it's not exactly in the city center, three tram lines stop right next to the hotel. - Look below for more information on how long it will take you to get everywhere.) We again liked the pool area the most - it's a fairly small pool but in a nicely decorated garden area. For the week, we had booked a superior room since regular rooms don't have a balcony. Now those balconies are actually overlooking the plaza in front of the administration building, which doesn't offer the best sights but at least is quite lively (please be aware that the balconies don't offer privacy shields towards each other, so while it was okay for us because we were mostly the only people out there, this may be a bit of a problem if the hotel is fully booked). Service again left nothing to be desired, the room was very clean and people were helpful. So once more, this won't be our last visit here. We've become quite fond of Montpellier and this hotel.
Some recommendations for your trip here:
- Getting here: We arrived by train (TGV) at the Gare Montpellier Saint-Roche. You can take the tram from there which takes you directly to the hotel (lines 1 or 3). Cab costs around 20€, depending on how many people you are (they surprisingly charge you for the amount of luggage).
- Shopping: Again, with the tram located next to the hotel, you can take line 1 in either direction to either get to the Odysseum (which is a new shopping and entertainment center with restaurants, shops like Guess, G Star, Levis, H&M and all the others, movie theaters and much more) or the Antigone (an older not very good looking mall with many of the same stores but in general a little less upscale ones).
- Nightlife/restaurants: A lot happens around the Place de la Comedie in the centre of the old town. Take line 1 to Comedie to get there. It's a big plaza with restaurants and bars all around (and in side streets and up and down the hill). Look out for the Les Estivales on Friday evenings/nights during summer. It's a sort of market with music and wine tastings (three glasses for 10€) directly next to the Place Comedie. Well, what else? There's a row of bars and restaurants down by the river (not far from the Place de l'Europe stop on the line 1 tram, or five minutes by foot from the hotel), where you'll also find the Australian bar (a hangout mostly for the many language students). And finally, though we never went there, there's two big clubs, the Milk and the Heaven maybe ten minutes from the hotel down on the other side of the river. The line 3 takes you in the approximate direction.
- Beaches: Though Montpellier is located a bit to the north of the sea, you can take line 3 to Perols (about half the trams on this line go there) and change to a free shuttle which will take you to the beaches of La Grande Motte (Grand Travers et al). Depending on your luck it might take you between 30 and 45 minutes to go there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Courtyard by Marriott Hotel in Montpellier located directly next to the City Hall of Montpellier designed by star architect Jean Nouvel, and just a few steps away from lively shops and nice restaurants in downtown Montpellier. The historical Center, the Convention Center, the Fabre museum and all other local city attractions of central Montpellier are just a few tramway stops away. At this Montpellier Courtyard by Marriott hotel, we know how to treat travelers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Courtyard Marriott Montpellier reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.