“Short Stay for Sightseeing”

Holiday Inn Express Montpellier - Odysseum
Ranked #21 of 93 Hotels in Montpellier
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Short Stay for Sightseeing”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Myself and my partner recently stayed in this hotel which we used as a base for travelling out in the car for sightseeing.
I was really impressed with the cleanliness of the hotel (It is new so expected) and the rooms were a good size and had everything we needed. The staff on reception were also very friendly and helpful. The pool was a big advantage and we mostly had it to ourselves so a great place to relax after days out.

The only negative of this hotel is it location. Although it is near plenty of restaurants, they arent particularly of a good standard and dont seem to be interested in welcoming tourists - we dont have very good French and felt uncomfortable because of this. There is a large Geant Casino supermarket which was very useful. Also, be aware of the beggers around the tram stop who were very intimidating when we were trying to work the ticket machine and use the tram for the first time.

All in all a good hotel to use a base for sightseeing.

Room Tip: We were looking over the car park at the back so not a good view but it was very quiet so had no iss...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Marietta, Ohio
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I was on business trip and stayed at this location as it was close to where I needed to be and the price was right. Upon my arrival from the US early in the morning, the front desk personnel advised me that my room was not ready and wouldn't be for several hours. When I informed her that I just arrived after extensive travel and would take whatever they had available, magically my room was ready. No big deal here, just typical practice I would assume. This property was the typical European style hotel that appeared to be in a safe neighborhood, close to several shops and dining establishments, an aquarium, movie theater, etc. My 7 day stay is what I expected from Holiday Inn Express in Europe and will stay again when my travels take me back to this city.

Room Tip: Considering this is right next to an emergency clinic, I was on the back side and was not disturbed...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 June 2013

The bad news is that this hotel is obviously a 'Holiday Inn' and so nothing like the cute "Boutique Hotel with a French ambiance" that I was planning to stay at.
The second bad news was the trainee receptionist initially insisted that they had no booking for our third room and the Hotel was full! What happened to customer courtesy? - I was holding the relevant booking paperwork and she was badly mistaken. However having got over those issues we did stay a week and the hotel was very good for what it was.
Not "two steps" from Montpellier centre as advertised but the nearby TRAMS are fabulous for getting you into town without any car-parking hassles. A great bonus as driving the centre Montpellier is not that easy.
I have to add that after the initial booking mix-up however the other staff were very extremely helpful to us answering all our questions and needs.
The rooms are fabulously modern and clean and quiet and with excellent Air-Con. Free WiFi too. The beds are quite hard which actually I like over horrible soft ones.
The breakfast options were fine and the fresh french bread yummy. The swimming pool was good (although not large enough to do laps) and with easy access for my elderly Mother. I wish they had more shade around it - but I suspect this will happen as the Hotel is fairly new.
The Odysseum entertainment complex is very close which gives you multiple options of (cheap & pretty basic) places to eat. Only one seemed to provide quality food however - La brasserie Scholler, but again if you want the real French Cuisine there are tons of restaurants in town only a tram ride away.
In the end the Hotel suited us fine even though it could have been anywhere in the world.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Bolton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as a staging post on a marathon whistle stop tour of France, Spain and Andorra. We were impressed with everything about the hotel and its location. We didn't go into Montpellier itself as the hotel is in a leisure complex with restaurants and bars aplenty. If you like good beer, try Les Trois Brasseurs, where you can eat and drink in a large beer garden.

• Stayed June 2013
England
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Stayed here for a week while on vacation. Rooms were modern and of a very good standard. Better than the HI Express rooms you get in the UK. Great air conditioning in the rooms which we didn't get at other hotels in France while on vacation.
There's a decently sized swimming pool on-site. Walking distance to the Odysseum which has an aquarium, plentiful restaurants and shopping. You can also get the tram from here into Montpellier - they leave regularly and take 15 minutes to get to La Comedie.Staff were very helpful when required. Breakfasts were standard for HI Expresses, we were getting a bit fed up after a week as there's not much choice but what there is tasted good.

As normal for hotels, drinks were expensive at the hotel bar EUR7 for a large beer.

I didn't hear any room/corridor noise at night so they were nice peaceful nights which always helps when in hotels.

Without doubt, I would certainly recommend this hotel and would have no hesitation staying again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 May 2013 via mobile

A very good hotel , great rooms ,friendly staff and very clean hotel, easy access to the odysseum and close to the trams , my only gripe is having to pay for the parking at 8 euro it's a bit expensive as the rooms are not that cheap and the breakfast was adequate , other than that a very smart hotel

• Stayed May 2013
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We were on a rugby trip and spent one night in this new hotel. It was clean and tidy throughout. As our room was not available when we arrived (2pm is the official time, we arrived around mid-day), we were allowed to put our luggage in the storage area beside reception. I mention this because I returned to that room on three occasions after putting my bag there. There was not a hint of irritation from the reception staff which I was impressed with. I would have been irritated if I had been working there! The hotel is five minutes walk from the regular tram service into the city centre.
We arrived back around mid-night, got our luggage, and went to our room. The room was bright and pleasant and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom was also modern and functional, and the shower was great.
We did return to the reception area and were told that the bar was closing. This was unfortunate as there were a large number of Munster fans who were hoping to continue discussing the game. This was the only negative on what otherwise was a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends