“Le restaurant l'Olivier n'existe plus”
Review of Le Passionne - CLOSED

Le Passionne
Price range: US$36 - US$55
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Calvi, France
“Le restaurant l'Olivier n'existe plus”
Reviewed 15 December 2012

... Or so said an article in a newspaper I found when I was verifying where to eat in Montpellier (in fact the article implied that that was its new name, which I did consider a trifle unlikely!)

Fortunately, having gone to this restaurant several times in its previous incarnation you could have led me blindfolded from the Place de la Comédie de 12, rue A. Ollivier. So I thought I'd give it a shot.

Two courses for 25 € or three for €30. They'd prefer you to decide before you start whether you want dessert or not, but even if you decline at that point, you will be offered it later.

To start with I had the foie gras, on a bed of lychees, with a red fruit coulis. Apart from the three grains of sea salt on the underneath piece of foie gras this was delicious. I thought when I started eating it that maybe there were too many flavours stuck together (a bit of a theme with this restaurant) but by the time I'd finished it I was won over.

For the main course I had a magret de canard, with puree of (parsnip? something of the sort anyway) boiled pak choi, peas, a sliver of carrot, a sundried tomato, and breaded mushroom cylinders. Again I was dubious about the mixture, but the flavours offset each other nicely. Minor quibbles: I prefer to be asked the cuisson of my duck, and this was overdone for my tastes, and the breadcrumbs round the mushroom sticks gave me horrible reminders of school dinners. These are, however, as I said, minor quibbles.

Maybe more Masterchef winner than Michelin 1 star, but it's certainly given me ideas I won't hesitate to use in my own dishes. And I shall return next time I'm in Montpellier.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank FractalAngel

Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
“tasty and not far from city-center”
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Well-situated, small and home restaurant. Good french dishes. Take lemon desert - I've liked it a lot. Recommend you to visit.

• Visited September 2012
durham, england
“Slightly overpriced and very limited menu options”
Reviewed 23 September 2012

I know this no longer has the Michelin star that it had under its previous name and ownership but the first time we tried to eat here it was fully booked at 7.30 so I had high hopes that if we tried again and booked it would be worth the effort. I was a bit disconcerted by the brevity of the menu that was on display in the window but hoped that the actual food would make up for this but it didn't really.
It was okay but nothing special and we ate better at several other establishments in the city centre at rather less cost.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank itsverygrimupnorth
Leeds, UK
“Excellent, under appreciated restaurant.”
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Ate here on a saturday night in august. We were first to arrive at 1930 (prebooked). No outside seating, but pleasant inside with plants growing up the wall on a kind of watered mat (slightly odd large black plastic tanks to feed these though -- not really noticable though. Food really excellent. Menus at 30 euros; asked to pre-order all 3 courses including desert at the start. The wine I chose was out of stock but I was assured that was the only one and their replacement recommendation was very good. Food really good indeed. When we left at around 2130 there were 3 couples in the restaurant -- a shame given quality of food. The service was excellent and the chef/patron came to our table shortly before we left to enquire how we enjoyed it. I commented it was a shame there were so few diners to enjoy his food, but he assured me it was because they had only just re-opened after a 3 week break. They brought an assortment of amuse bouches which were very nice. I then had the tuna tartare, the st-pierre and the baked figs -- all great choices -- my wife enjoyed the assortment of melon/ham with excellent goat cheese, the duo of sole and red mullet and the lemon tart (actually we shared the deserts). There was no desert wine on the menu but when I asked was a offered a choice of two by the glass. No petit fours with the coffee, but what do you expect for a couple of euros. Would happily return if there were not another 400 restaurants to explore!

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Leedsflyer
Pouzols, France
“Very good food and pleasant atmosphere”
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Near the center of the city and the railway station. One of the best restaurants of Montpellier for this price.

• Visited May 2012