“Nice place to walk around”
Review of Porte du Peyrou

Ranked #8 of 134 things to do in Montpellier
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 11 August 2014

It's a nice spot and even more beautiful in the sunset. I am a bit of fan of historic monuments and this one is extremely well preserved. But I would agree with other reviewers, it is nothing special but still nice place to walk around.

1  Thank Nubiahbella

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Just 10' from Place de la Comedie and thus easily accessed it is a beautiful spot which marks the northern limits of the historic center of Montpellier. However, it is nothing that impressive.

2  Thank ilGrec0
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We accidentally found The Peyrou, (or 'The Royal Square') after dinner one night, going for a walk and taking a few wrong turns. It had been on our to-do list for the following day but I am so glad we found it at sunset - I have never seen one like this is my life! It sets over the city, you have the statues and park behind you, people are quite and just enjoy the space, doing their own thing. It isn't over-run or too busy, it's peaceful and stunning. The view is worth the walk, absolutely amazing!

3  Thank Tastefulbuds
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My husband and I were there in May this year and just loved it. What a lovely spot for photos. Nice park and a great lookout over the city. Would recommend a walk to Porte du Peyrou, its worth it.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Several of the finer attractions in Montpellier are in the immediate area, so you will doubly rewarded if you make the walk up the hill from the lower part of town. You get a splendid view from here, and I can imagine it would be a nice peaceful and relaxing area if it were not for the scammers with their "surveys" targeting anyone who looked like a tourist - I was approached three or four times by them, and although familiar with their ways it still annoying to have to deal with them.