We stayed here for 8 nights while visiting friends in the university. Before we came, they recommended a number of places to stay including this hotel. We immediately chose this one because of its location, and so glad we did! One couldn't be more central than this place. Just a few blocks from the train station, and just a block away from the Place de la Comedie, the city's main square. Montpellier is a very walkable city. OK so the neighbourhood is not glitzy, in fact, one would think it is a tad quiet but I kept saying "so near, yet far enough", it's exactly how we want our hotels. Near to everything, yet far enough to feel the peace and quiet away from the tourist area (we visited in February so just the locals really, not many tourists). And what a delightful find this hotel was! Small, cozy and friendly, a lovely home away from home for us. The staff were very welcoming and helpful, their English is good and yes, they were ever so patient with our weak attempts at speaking French (it always works if you smile!). We stayed in the delux double room Chateaubriand which was on the corner of the top floor, well worth the price! Our room was very clean and very well set up with lots of room to spread out: a desk to work on (there's a small laptop hooked up to the internet which you can use, we brought our own so we just plugged it in directly), a huge TV with lots of channels including 3 in english (bbc, cnn, skynews), tea and coffee making equipment (including a nespresso machine yay!) and a small sofa. Our king size bed was super-comfy, lots of pillows to choose from, we had some of our best night's sleeps here. The bathroom was bright and spacious, but you must bring your own amenities here as in most small European hotels the all-in-one liquid soap is a tube on the wall. Nice fluffy towels too!
1) location, location, location! Comedie tram station just up the street, a good laundrette just around the corner, a broad selection of dining places on rue Verdun including l'Entrecote, a Monoprix supermarket a block away and the huge Polygon supermall close by, everything you can think of are within 3-5 minutes walk, even a flower market and cinemas (not one but 3 multiplex ones). I needed some ibuprofen creme at 8:00am one day, the pharmacie du theatre was just across the tram lines (the pharmacie du comedie does not open till 9). We didn't have breakfast in the hotel as it was easier to grab a croissant or pane au chocolat and a coffee from one of the patisseries around as we waited for the tram to the university.
2) lovely french hospitality- always nice to come back to a welcoming smile every evening, the staff is always there to help from setting up an ironing board to carrying our luggage to and from our room. On our last day they even gave us some regional specialties as a going-away gift, I was really touched!
3) free wifi - this was a ++++ for us, and we really appreciated the good strong signal in our room, really handy to keep connected with our kids halfway around the world. We didn't use the free VoIP calls which the hotel also offers, but gosh, what a great service!
Negatives: none really, just a couple of caveats so that future guests will know:
1) there is no lift as there are only 2 floors above the ground floor. As mentioned earlier, the staff happily help you with your luggage to your room. Personally, I think the narrow spiral staircase adds to the charm of the hotel, but those with mobility issues may think otherwise.
2) just a suggestion: a floor mat in the bathroom would have been nice, especially as the tiled floor can be so cold in winter.
Overall, we really liked this hotel and would recommend it to all our friends visiting Montpellier. Don't let the grey, nondescript and generally unimaginative neighbourhood fool you - a couple of blocks away is a different place. This hotel is great, why look for anything else?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Charming boutique hotel entirely renovated. Non-smoking hotel. Pleasant surroundings and a refined atmosphere await you. The hotel is located 2 minutes by foot from the Place de la Comedie, it is also near the SNCF train station, the Corum and the Fabre museum. Haven of elegance, french charm and peace. As the hotel is situated in the heart of Montpellier, it is an ideal base for those who wish to discover one of the most beautiful french cities, to visit the region or to be at the centre of all artistic, cultural or economic events. Labels: - Qualite Herault - Sud de France - Qualite Tourisme - Tourisme & Handicaps - European Ecolabel FR/025/233 - Green Key Rooms: Non-smokers, soundproof, superbly decorated rooms and one room for disabled people. Queen size and King size beds. Hydrojet showers. Individual heat/air-conditioning control. Minibars. Hairdryers. Free Wireless Internet and Ethernet connection in every room. All the rooms are equipped with an LCD TV screen. Digital TV and radio by satellite. Useful information: Breakfast under the Veranda throughout the whole year. Free wireless Internet connection in the entire hotel. Free Internet access point at the reception. Laptop in Privilege and Deluxe rooms. Restaurants, concerts, events and car rental booking service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com, Hotel.de and MyHotelShop so you can book your Hotel d'Aragon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- d Aragon Hotel Montpellier
- Hotel d Aragon